IGNORED

Missile Command & Super Front Line (Colecovision/ADAM)

Tempest

On the plus side, at least we'll have Black Onyx, though it doesn't use a battery backup.

The original SG-1000 game didn't, but the CV version will, if my Activision PCB project comes to fruition. :)

Of course I have no problem with throwing "Gateway to Apshai" in there as well to bring the total to three or four.

I'd call that more of an action RPG, but yeah I guess it counts.

Tempest

I agree, actually, particularly since it's very easy to cross the line into an action game when there are any major real-time elements in a so-called RPG. Still, it was always meant as a cartridge friendly version of "Temple of Apshai", so I wouldn't personally argue too much against the RPG moniker if someone really wanted to make the case. It's like calling "The Legend of Zelda" an RPG. Some do it, but it really isn't even though it shares some of the properties of one.

Gateway to Apshai has player stats (strength, agility, luck), in addition to items that can be picked up and dropped, so that makes it more an RPG in my book than Zelda.

On the plus side, at least we'll have Black Onyx, though it doesn't use a battery backup.

The original SG-1000 game didn't, but the CV version will, if my Activision PCB project comes to fruition. :)

Do you think it might be able to enable a new run of "Lord of the Dungeon" as well?

Do you think it might be able to enable a new run of "Lord of the Dungeon" as well?

That's a pretty good question, actually. If it was only a question of adding some EEPROM savegame support, I'd be all over it, but from what I've read about Lord of the Dungeon, the CV game itself is an unfinished prototype. In particular, I recall an article that stated that there is no real goal in the game, you just roam around the game's world forever. It goes against my "homebrew principles" to release an unfinished product, and since I cannot quantify how much work would be required to polish the rough edges of this prototype, I can't say I'm terribly interested at this point.

All of the mystery regarding it sucks, but what can you do? I don't even recall ever seeing a ROM, though I doubt there's an emulator that could support the save structure anyway. On the plus side, at least we'll have Black Onyx, though it doesn't use a battery backup.

I have one of the CGE 2000 Lord of the Dungeon carts that I picked up for a hefty price some years ago. I also have a copy of the rom and this is fully playable under blueMSX with a minor change to support the backup function.

Edited by Ikrananka

All of the mystery regarding it sucks, but what can you do? I don't even recall ever seeing a ROM, though I doubt there's an emulator that could support the save structure anyway. On the plus side, at least we'll have Black Onyx, though it doesn't use a battery backup.

I have one of the CGE 2000 Lord of the Dungeon carts that I picked up for a hefty price some years ago. I also have a copy of the rom and this is fully playable under blueMSX with a minor change to support the backup function.

If you're ever moved to release the ROM and explain how to use it under blueMSX, that would be great (naturally, it would just be for checking it out purposes, as the cool part in this case is having the working cartridge). All I have is the modern day text file instructions. I assume that the ROM wouldn't work under the 128-in-1 cart because of the requirements of its save state, right?

That's a pretty good question, actually. If it was only a question of adding some EEPROM savegame support, I'd be all over it, but from what I've read about Lord of the Dungeon, the CV game itself is an unfinished prototype. In particular, I recall an article that stated that there is no real goal in the game, you just roam around the game's world forever. It goes against my "homebrew principles" to release an unfinished product, and since I cannot quantify how much work would be required to polish the rough edges of this prototype, I can't say I'm terribly interested at this point.

I agree with that thinking and perhaps that's why it hasn't been more aggressively distributed. I don't know if anyone with the CG2K copies ever tried to beat it. There is some evidence to suggest that the game was finished, both based on anecdotal evidence from contemporary accounts and in the modern day interview link I provided earlier, but the vagueness of it all makes me think that's a long shot.