IGNORED

130xe video output

danwinslow

I am trying to get some 130XE's hooked up to monitors via the monitor port output. I bought some cables that went from the monitor port to a S-Video and 2 rca plugs ( red and white ). One modern TV I have ( a magnavox 15in LCD TV) picks up the svideo beatifully. Another LCD tv I have does not. I have also tried hooking the output up to a variety of video converters with no luck. Is there something wrong with the SVideo output from a 130? What other options do I have to hook up ( besides the RF jack ) is there composite video out from the monitor port at all?

I had assumed that the red & white rca outputs on the cable were chroma & luma....but I have tried various ways with those and I can get much. On older monitors ( commodore 104 etc. ) all I can get is a garbled, rolling picture. I have tried with more than one 130 and more than one cable.

I would have thought that with the cable you have the red and white RCA are for sound, left and right, even though the stock 130xe is mono.

I have experienced the same problem as you with regard to s-video on an LCD tv, the Atari video output is not standard by todays standards. Some tvs can cope with the signal, but some can't as you have found.

For a C= monitor you will need a different cable with separate croma and luma connections.

It's got composite too.

Does the second LCD TV work with RF? If not, then probably not much point trying the other alternatives as they'd likely not work either.

Maybe check the cable. Make sure all the RCA terminals are grounded properly, and check they go to the proper pin on the 5-pin plug.

The pinout of the monitor plug -

/ . \
|L  A|
|V  C|
\ G /

L=luma, A=Audio out, V=Composite Video, C=Chroma, G=GND

Yes, Commodore use a slightly different pinout - probably best not to use one of their cables.

http://pinouts.ru/Multimedia/AudioVideoC64_pinout.shtml - Commodore monitor jack pinout there.

Edited by Rybags