IGNORED

What are the differences between a repo joystick and an original joystick?

homerwannabee

If you go on Ebay you will see that the reproduction joysticks are all over the place. I was wondering how can someone tell the difference between the original cx joystick and the repo? I personally do not have a Chinese Reproduction joystick so I have no clue. I do know that the original joysticks have Atari labeled on the end of plug part. I was wondering if the Repo's have this as well since they are not Atari making these? Does anyone have an original joystick and a repo to see what the differences are? I know a ton of these repos get sold every week so someone has to have one.

Now sort hand probably should be repro, but a ton of people call them repo's.

Sort hand? :ponder:

Repo is short for repossession, I don't care if other people make the mistake, it's still a mistake. People jump off of the Golden Gate bridge, should you do that, just because they did?

Please forgive me for not sticking to the O.P. but I can not get out of my head the image of Harry Dean Stanton and Emilio Estevez running from a house carrying armfuls of reposessed joysticks.

I wish I could help with the O.P. but lack original joysticks to compare against. Sorry.

Now sort hand probably should be repro, but a ton of people call them repo's.

Sort hand? :ponder:

Repo is short for repossession, I don't care if other people make the mistake, it's still a mistake. People jump off of the Golden Gate bridge, should you do that, just because they did?

Well depends. If they are bungee jumping, then sure. ;) I think you are missing my point. My point is simple, I get called on things that 99 percent of the posters here do not get called on. I know there are tons of people who mess up on your and you're, or would have and would of, or they're, there, and their. Yet, it seems without fail if I make the same mistake as others, I get pounded for it, while most are given breaks. It is like I am expected to live a higher grammar law than anyone else on these boards. Personally it's not fair no matter how you add it up.

Edit: One more thing. When you correct me like this, it totally sidetracks the original intent of the post. More people seem to care about typing repro, than actually addressing what my question was to begin with.

Edited by homerwannabee

So are you looking for an original, or just looking for a quality joystick?

No actually I have like 8 or 9 original joysticks. Probably more than enough to last a lifetime. I just want to know what the differences are between a fake and a real joystick? Since a joystick has so many parts, you would think there were some easy to tell differences.

I am interested in hearing whether the new reproduction joysticks are as good as the joysticks that came with the Atari consoles after the heavy sixer. Joysticks wear out and/or break over time, especially if used on games like Activision Decathlon. I have bought used later version Atari joysticks on eBay and found some still worked well and some did not. It would be tempting to buy new reproduction joysticks if they performed as well as original Atari joysticks .

Edited by froggger2

So are you looking for an original, or just looking for a quality joystick?

No actually I have like 8 or 9 original joysticks. Probably more than enough to last a lifetime. I just want to know what the differences are between a fake and a real joystick? Since a joystick has so many parts, you would think there were some easy to tell differences.

Just buy one, and let us all know. :D

I'm not positive about the particular repro joystick spoken about here, but I've bought a couple repro joys in the past and found them to suck big time. And the ones that use microswitch technology are even worse. They're loose feeling, which causes you to go diagonally by accident and the constant clicking sound will get on your nerves quicker than today's kids not knowing how to spell. Why buy a reproduction joystick anyway? All the parts are out there to restore your original joys. Best electronics quickly comes to mind. And then there's this place: http://www.atarirevolution.com/atari-repair-parts.html

BTW: my BIGGEST pet peeve when it comes to abbreviations are young people thinking the word microphone should be abbreviated as 'mike'. Yep, even some of the clods at Stereophile use 'mike' instead of mic. Oh well. Dolts abound these days. It's just getting harder and harder to steer clear of 'em ;-)

Edited by save2600

I'm not positive about the particular repro joystick spoken here, but I've bought a couple repro joys in the past and found them to suck big time. And the ones that use microswitch technology are even worse. They're loose feeling, which causes you to go diagonally by accident and the constant clicking sound will get on your nerves quicker than today's kids not knowing how to spell. Why buy a reproduction joystick anyway? All the parts are out there to restore your original joys. Best electronics quickly comes to mind. And then there's this place: http://www.atarirevolution.com/atari-repair-parts.html

BTW: my BIGGEST pet peeve when it comes to abbreviations are young people thinking the word microphone should be abbreviated as 'mike'. Yep, even some of the clods at Stereophile use 'mike' instead of mic. Oh well. Dolts abound these days. It's just getting harder and harder to steer clear of 'em ;-)

Do your reproduction joysticks have Atari labeled anywhere on them?

Edit: to help people understand better here is an auction of a reproduction joystick.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-JOYSTICK-CONTROLLE...1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is an auction of an original joystick.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-ATARI-2600-STA...1QQcmdZViewItem

I can't tell the difference between the two just by the pictures. At the moment Reproductions cost about the same as originals so this is not a problem, but as the years pass more and more of these Reproduction joysticks will start showing up and less and less original joysticks will appear. When that happens there will be a demand for the original joystick, and some people will say these reproduction joysticks are the real deal. If there was a way now to tell a difference it could spare people from being ripped off 5 to 10 years down the line.

Edited by homerwannabee

Do your reproduction joysticks have Atari labeled anywhere on them?

I've got 2 different kinds of Atari 2600 repro joysticks. One pair is most certainly the Chinese (junk to be sure) ones shown above in your first link and the other pair are from the Flashback system. Fuji logo is a little different on the Flashback system and the sticks are not as mushy as the originals. I like these much better than the plain looking "3rd Party" Chinese variant. The Chinese pair do not have Atari or a Fuji logo on them at all, but are styled after the original 2600 joy. These are very uncomfortable and nearly un-playable to me. Feels strange and the corners seem to be more rigid on the Chinese pair. I haven't opened them up yet, but it seems as if the contacts might need to be cleaned (even though they're brand new). Neither of these have microswitches though and that's a good thing :-)

Personally, I'd stay away from that $7 3rd Party POS and invest in genuine classic Atari parts or rebuild your existing joys. You'll wish you did immediately after playing with the new repro joys.

Edited by save2600