IGNORED

Installed my first cap kit

theking21083

Yesterday my cap kit came in the mail for my Sanyo 20EZV monitor in my Donkey Kong 3 cab. This was my first time installing one so I was nervous as hell. The colors on my monitor were washed out and bright. After I completed installing the cap kit I plugged everthing back in and fired up the ol game. I was nervous that I had screwed something up in the process. When I looked at the screen I almost cried because it looked so beautiful. The colors were crisp, clear, and vibrant. It was like I was playing a brand new game.

Here are some before and after pics to compare

Before - You can see that the colors are kinda washed out and the black background is very bright. It makes the lines appear on the screen.

post-14567-1237769273_thumb.jpg

After - Now the colors are way more bright and the black actually looks black. Plus those lines are no longer present from the brightness being so high.

post-14567-1237769352_thumb.jpg

post-14567-1237769430_thumb.jpg

I had an arcade cab that could have used a cap kit, but I didn't know exactly what to desolder, solder in, etc, and I was kinda scared with all that voltage behind there.

That's amazing how crisp and clear those colors are. Awesome job!

Way to go! I assume the "dreaded" voltage demons didn't get you too bad :) Sanyo's are bad about that because your arm has to go right next to the tube "plug" (where the HV wire plugs into the glass) during install....always good to re-discharge those Sanyos before installing the chassis.. been bit a few times that way! I would say of the brands to repair, the Nintendo game monitors are probably one of the hardest ones...you are ready to tackle ANY of them from here.

I am always glad to hear people fix their own stuff. Its a high-school electronics class difficulty and with some common sense its not a problem to do one of these. Does take time, but SOOOO worth it.

Way to go!

Cassidy

Way to go! I assume the "dreaded" voltage demons didn't get you too bad :) Sanyo's are bad about that because your arm has to go right next to the tube "plug" (where the HV wire plugs into the glass) during install....always good to re-discharge those Sanyos before installing the chassis.. been bit a few times that way! I would say of the brands to repair, the Nintendo game monitors are probably one of the hardest ones...you are ready to tackle ANY of them from here.

I am always glad to hear people fix their own stuff. Its a high-school electronics class difficulty and with some common sense its not a problem to do one of these. Does take time, but SOOOO worth it.

Way to go!

Cassidy

Got through the whole thing with out any zaps. I could have easily paid somebody else to do it or just put up with it the way it was. I figured that if I'm going to have an arcade cab around then I might as well learn how to fix it. It really was high school level work. Wasn't much to it once I figured out how to take everything apart.

Wow, the difference is amazing! Great job!

I know, it's beautiful.

Wow! That really inspires me to buckle down and replace the caps on my Blasteroids monitor!

Then buckle down and do it tommorow. You will love yourself for doing it. I can't say enough about how much a simple cap kit can improve a game and make it look and feel like a different game.

Way to go!

Cassidy

How do you discharge the voltage? I have a Mario Bros. that needs a cap kit bad. Any advice would be appreciated.

Way to go!

Cassidy

How do you discharge the voltage? I have a Mario Bros. that needs a cap kit bad. Any advice would be appreciated.

Second the advice request. I've got a Lady Bug that's in desperate need of a cap kit. I've owned it for over 10 years, but been too scared to do it -- give the possibility of death and all :)

Discharging the monitor is very easy but can also be very scary the first time you do it.

Nothing much to it really, just be very careful.

Way to go!

Cassidy

Second the advice request. I've got a Lady Bug that's in desperate need of a cap kit. I've owned it for over 10 years, but been too scared to do it -- give the possibility of death and all :)

Discharging the monitor is very easy but can also be very scary the first time you do it.

Nothing much to it really, just be very careful.

Very nice vid. Thanks for the link.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if I SPECIFICALLY need an Electrohome G07904-10 cap kit or if Electrohome GO7 cap kits basically work on all EH G07 monitors? I have an Electrohome G07CB0 kit for my Phoenix (which I didn't need) but I do need a cap kit for Dig Dug (the Electrohome G07904-10).

There were multiple revisions on the G07 chassis but the standard kit should be just fine.

Remember there is one silk screen wrong on the chassis (its a cap that has its polarity backwards on the printed board). Just replace them one at a time and replace them in the same directions that they come out (positive, negative, etc).

Good luck. Any good distributor kit should do. FWIW, I would swap the flyback while I was in there. Otherwise you'll be doing a HOT and a fuse in the future....G07's are notorious for that.

Cassidy

• 1 month later...

Thanks Cassidy.

Just installed almost all of the cap kit, but there's a little bracket covering a couple of the caps. It's by the horizontal/vertical pots and I don't know how to get it off. Should I replace these too, or if I just have washed-out colors in my game, will I need to bother with these?

Thanks again.

Retro

You are talking about the metal shield over that section of the board? There are a few solder pads on the bottom. Just heat those up and pull it off from the top. Pretty simple once you do it once. Just heat the solder up and stick it back (or leave it off) when you change the caps :) I vote for leave it off.....

CN

You are talking about the metal shield over that section of the board? There are a few solder pads on the bottom. Just heat those up and pull it off from the top. Pretty simple once you do it once. Just heat the solder up and stick it back (or leave it off) when you change the caps :) I vote for leave it off.....

CN

Cool; thanks!