IGNORED

Any DOOM Fans?

I'm definetly a doom addict.. played through many single official release: Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, Doom 3, Doom 3 Ressurection, Doom 64, Doom on the PSX. I even felt like modding Wolfenstein 3D and added the 1st shotgun to this because.. well.. there hasn't been a single better shotgun out there in FPS ever since

With best I mean cool looking :P just plain brutal to slaughter 100s of demons with that thing!

Edited by Ninjabba

Hi there,

Yeah, I'm a DOOM fan. I haven't got into the new DOOM3 but I loved the others. I haven't played DOOM64. I loved playing Deathmatch! I had gotten so good at finding secrets and hiding that my friends would always insist that we play a created WAD. I loved the Atari Headquarters WAD!

I'm a big CONSOLE Doom nut... I've never been fond of PC games... I had a couple friends who had Doom on the PC in '93 or '94 iirc. Then I got a 32X in late 1994 and got Doom. Was hooked instantly. Then I got a Jag and Doom for that. Then in late 1995 I got a Playstation and Doom for that. PS Doom was and is AWESOME... Then I RENTED N64 Doom. Dunno why I never bought that one back in 1996. That game was always too dark, but it was a cool version of Doom nonetheless. I of course own it now. I've never had Saturn Doom, as it's a watered down version of the PS version. I'll pick it up someday though, I'm sure.

I just recently got 3DO Doom because I was really curious how bad it was. Honestly I don't think it's as bad as the media made it out to be. Ya it's choppy, but I found it playable still even in full screen mode. AND something that nobody notices or mentions, 3DO Doom runs in a noticeably higher resolution than any of the other console versions, except for maybe the N64 Doom... The music is great too.

Oh, I almost forgot about SNES Doom. It runs smoother and has good music, but there's hardly any graphic detail and the resolution is very low. Then there's the original PC versions of Doom on the XBOX Doom 3 disc. I tried playing Doom 3 and didn't care for it. I keep it for playing the original Doom and Doom II. :P However I don't like the control layout for Doom on the XBOX.

Overall my favorite version is probably the Playstation version.

I loved playing DeathMatch Doom, Heretic and Hexen with my friend down the street with modems. That was a blast. I don't think I've had as much fun with multi-player since then.

More recently, I was happy to find the DoomsDay Engine to play all the classic ID games easily again. Love Doom!

I love Doom. Especially with JDoom and the enhanced graphics and 3D models and everything.

I think Doom is best on computers; console versions always seemed lacking in some way or another.

(And the Cyberdemon is STILL the most bad-ass videogame villain ever. )

In the late 90s, my friends and I actually went to the effort of setting up two PlayStations with the link cable and two TVs for multi-player Doom. I found it a bit under whelming as that Quake was already out and I had a good level editor for that (Oh, Mac Quiver and what could have been...)

Who DOESN'T like DooM?

:cool:

Exactly!

I've always thought the Marathon series (forerunner to Halo) was the best FPS from that era, but how can you hate Doom?

I'm sure you guys probably know this already, but just in case you didn't. The Marathon trilogy has been released by Bungie.

http://source.bungie.org/

http://source.bungie.org/get/

Who DOESN'T like DooM?

:cool:

Exactly!

I've always thought the Marathon series (forerunner to Halo) was the best FPS from that era, but how can you hate Doom?

I'm sure you guys probably know this already, but just in case you didn't. The Marathon trilogy has been released by Bungie.

http://source.bungie.org/

http://source.bungie.org/get/

Yup, I have them on my computer! :) I first found them a couple years ago, but it's definitely worth mentioning for those who didn't know or have never played them!

I've only ever played the original, on a PC, but man I had a lot of fun with that. Playing co-op with a friend through a NULL modem cable was a blast.

Anyone played the GBA DOOM? I've been thinking about picking that up.

GBA Doom 2 is much better. Drastically improved from the first one, just to let you know.

OH HELL YEAH!

I fuckin' love Doom! I've loved it ever since I was 8 and my aunt got the shareware version. I loved it even more when my counselor in Elementary School(yes. you heard right) had the games installed on his computers in his office. One of my favorite memories growing up was going to Boys Group every week with the guys in my class to play it on the computers, along with Wolfenstein 3D, 4D Boxing, and The Simpsons. The funniest thing I remember was that he'd have ALL of the cheat codes for DOOM written on a chalkboard in his office.

But, I remember standing in line to buy my copy of DOOM 3 for the PC and then reserving the Collector's Edition of DOOM 3 for the Xbox(the main reason I got one, Fuck Halo!) I still have the Collector's Edition of DOOM 3 for Xbox, although I have a different box now(and softmodded too! ;) )

But, my one complaint was that Resurrection of Evil was waaaay too short. Although, using the gravity gun and killing enemies by throwing crates was AWESOME!

I loved playing DeathMatch Doom, Heretic and Hexen with my friend down the street with modems. That was a blast. I don't think I've had as much fun with multi-player since then.

More recently, I was happy to find the DoomsDay Engine to play all the classic ID games easily again. Love Doom!

Thanks for the tip about DoomsDay Engine--getting ready to run that baby now!

I LOVE doom, its one of my favorite all time FPS games. Especially the first one. Dissappointingly Ive never found a working level editor, to bad,II had some cool Ideas to do with it, that are now all outdated.

But the original series is still one of the greats, and I still pick it up for whatever I can find it on. The GBA's were great, though Jaguar has the best graphics of all them.

However I don't like the control layout for Doom on the XBOX.

Me either! Maybe I'm to use to playing the PSX version on a TV. I had a hard time getting use to that too because I used the keyboard on the PC. I never could quite get the hang of playing DOOM with a joypad.

I thought the layout for the PS Doom was great for being a controller... I know keyboards are better for FPS'. The XBOX version though, I just don't like the layout and how it controls much at all. It's awesome how exact it is to the original PC versions though, as far as graphics. I still like the Playstation Doom the best with its cool lighting and awesome soundtrack!

I liked Doom a lot... wouldn't quite say I loved it, but pretty close. Had it for Win95, got Doom 3 for Xbox... really should pick up a portable version of the game for some on-the-go fragging.

The only thing holding me back from being a Doom nut is probably just that I like Quake more. I've always been Quake nut. The game took the Doom engine to perfection, and every Quake installment after that seemed to take something away from the genre, not add to it. So, for me, Quake is the ultimate PC FPS. But Doom still kicks major ass.

Heck ya,especially the pixelated early pc Doom.But i like Quake much more.The Metal soundtrack in Quake 2 is kickass,done by Rob Zombie IIRC.Duke Nukem 3D and all the others was damn cool too!

Edited by Rik