IGNORED

The Definitive Lynx Cart Variation List

Atari Smeghead

So I ended up getting that PITS set off of ebay afterall. I spent more than I really wanted to, but that's okay.

Take a look at this PITS cart though...

post-3390-0-18222800-1314315882_thumb.jpg

post-3390-0-21043600-1314315886_thumb.jpg

It is different then the other ones I've seen.

Thoughts?

BTW... I am doing a new Lynx Database that I think you all may like.

I am still working on it, but it seems pretty cool. Its all on Excel, so it isn't too special, but I have pictures of each cart embedded in the checklists, and other stuff as well. One feature is that you can click on a game on the checklist and it will take you to the game Profile page which has pictures of the cart, the box, and screen shots. It also has other cart variations if there are any and you can click on those to see them as well. Kind of cool. I just need to find the time to complete it.

Regarding Remnant, I can clear that up. Originally before CGE2K, I had planned on making a limited edition Remnant cart with unique ROM features and limited cartridge quantity. By the time the show came around, I had changed my plans and just decided to keep the CGE2K logo in the intro as a nod to the show where the cartridge was first released.

Bottom line, there is only a single Remnant ROM that has been published. The only variation is the PCB.

And now for something a bit off-topic, but interesting I hope. ;) When I first made Ponx, I authorized the programming of about 100 OTPROMs (which can only be programmed once) with the Ponx ROM. The day after I did that, I realized I could put a couple of nifty cheats like "evil mode" in the game, so I halted production and sent in the new ROM instead. I have about 50 chips in my possession with that original Ponx version, but they never made it onto cart form. I would consider putting them on carts if there was interest, I suppose.

And now for something a bit off-topic, but interesting I hope. ;) When I first made Ponx, I authorized the programming of about 100 OTPROMs (which can only be programmed once) with the Ponx ROM. The day after I did that, I realized I could put a couple of nifty cheats like "evil mode" in the game, so I halted production and sent in the new ROM instead. I have about 50 chips in my possession with that original Ponx version, but they never made it onto cart form. I would consider putting them on carts if there was interest, I suppose.

That sounds cool to me!

Yep... I am interested! LOL

Now that I have an extra PITS cart... perhaps I can make a MINI package deal and reproduce the paperwork for someone. lol

You still have this?

I only posted that a few days ago... and I just got home and trying to settle back into daily activities again... but yes I still have it.

I am considering making a mini version of the PITS package with that extra cart, but I'm not really sure. I don't want to piss anyone off.

(BTW: For those with the PITS complete package... can someone get in touch with me in regards to reproducing the Front cover of the PITS briefcase. The glossy insert. Mine was missing. I can reproduce the cardboard inserts (hell... they may even be the inserts from a Lynx 2 box... but I can't reproduce that insert)

Now that I have an extra PITS cart... perhaps I can make a MINI package deal and reproduce the paperwork for someone. lol

You still have this?

I only posted that a few days ago... and I just got home and trying to settle back into daily activities again... but yes I still have it.

I am considering making a mini version of the PITS package with that extra cart, but I'm not really sure. I don't want to piss anyone off.

(BTW: For those with the PITS complete package... can someone get in touch with me in regards to reproducing the Front cover of the PITS briefcase. The glossy insert. Mine was missing. I can reproduce the cardboard inserts (hell... they may even be the inserts from a Lynx 2 box... but I can't reproduce that insert)

No problem. Figured I'd ask. This is one of those items I have not been able to get for my Lynx collection.

^^I must say I´d be definitely interested in Ponx, Carl :)

[Expecting ChampRallye next week to come, BTW. And if you won´t issue the above you mentioned I´ll look for a normal copy this autumn.]

The PITS card, is it really all in German? If so, it would be the only non-English Lynx game/homebrew/cart FWIK. The onl exception I can think of is the text adventure Merlin on teh Y1-card, which is in both English and French.

Looks I've missed some posts here! :D

So I ended up getting that PITS set off of ebay afterall. I spent more than I really wanted to, but that's okay.

It is different then the other ones I've seen.

Thoughts?

BTW... I am doing a new Lynx Database that I think you all may like.

I am still working on it, but it seems pretty cool. Its all on Excel, so it isn't too special, but I have pictures of each cart embedded in the checklists, and other stuff as well. One feature is that you can click on a game on the checklist and it will take you to the game Profile page which has pictures of the cart, the box, and screen shots. It also has other cart variations if there are any and you can click on those to see them as well. Kind of cool. I just need to find the time to complete it.

That is a cool looking cart, Eric. It's exactly the kind of thing you needed to add to your collection, regardless of the cost! Not sure how to describe it to add to the list, though. Do you know the origin of this version? Is it a one of a kind or are there more, I wonder?

I'd love to see the new database when it's ready.

Man!! Being a poor college student SUCKS at times like this! It's one of my "Holy Grail" carts, darn it...

Carl, thanks for clearing up the Remnant question. Kinda figured that was the case, but it's good to hear it from the man who knows.

As for the Ponx version... Man!! Still poor. (Nothing has changed since the start of this post - LOL). I am interested, but it's probably not in the budget. I'll keep an eye out for a possible cost, if you get that far.

Cheers,

Smeg

Edited by Atari Smeghead

Bottom line, there is only a single Remnant ROM that has been published. The only variation is the PCB.

One single ROM... but different cart variants, right?

Long green board and LongLiveTheLynx Boards

This sounds right. I have the long green PCB and you (I think) have the LLtL board.

I think SFX, Ponx, Lexis, and Remnant have all been published on all three Songbird PCBs (boards): long green, short green, and black.

Sorry, I didn't even bother looking at my own list here before replying. :roll: I have all four you mentioned listed on those three cart styles, so I think we are good on that front.

Cheers,

Smeg

That is a cool looking cart, Eric. It's exactly the kind of thing you needed to add to your collection, regardless of the cost! Not sure how to describe it to add to the list, though. Do you know the origin of this version? Is it a one of a kind or are there more, I wonder?

This is the only one I have seen like this so far.

I always see the green PCBs and the label usually says PITS and has pin-stripes on it.

On the board (under the label) it states © 1993 DVP LARS Boumstork 256k Programcard. I think it is perhaps one of his first ones that he made. Not really sure though. It could have been a test board. It is interesting to see a translucent board like that. I would have assumed another copy would have shown up by now. Perhaps Lars can answer the questions surrounding that one. He's been active in the Jaguar section lately.

Question...

were the different variant carts (Flat, Ridged, Curved) all released during the same year?

For instance, the Gates of Zendocon Ridged cart is Part #2023 and released in 1989.

AA Database states that the Curved version of the cart is the same Part# and the same year.

I tend to think this isn't the case. I know about the original 5 released as Flat carts. But I don't think the curved carts came out the same year. wouldn't they have been a different part number?

Edit: it looks like they didn't bother with the different Part Number. What about the years though? Do any of you remember when the curved ones came out 'Back in the Day'?

Edited by EricDeLee

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks to Tempest, we now know that Krazy Ace had a black PCB version.

post-1517-0-40553300-1330015592_thumb.jpg

Comparing it to the other black PCBs, I would say it's version #1, with the small square chip in the back. (Tempest, can you confirm or deny this?)

Thanks,

Smeg

• 2 weeks later...

A store in my city sells two KRAZY ACE versions: the first version and the "long live the Lynx" version. I'm not sure which version I have to buy... As collector I prefer the first, as player I prefer the second. The first german version has the plastic cover on both side.. but the cover prevents to insert the cartridge well adherent to Lynx cartridge slot. Sorry but it's difficult for me to explain that in english. I don't wanna risk to ruin or fold the Lynx contacts. What do you think?

Edited by Battlezone