IGNORED

Dreamcast was better than the PS2

i've been playing my dreamcast for about a solid month lately

playing all kinds of games but mostly racing games

anyway i went back to the ps2 when i bought mlb 2k9 the other day

and after playing the dreamcast i notice just how much slower some games

on the ps2 are and the graphics on some games werent as good as the dreamcast

most dreamcast racers were smooth as hell with a great frame rate but it seems the ps2 games

were slower with what looked like washed out graphics

it could be that i just have better games for the dreamcast than i do for the ps2 but

anybody else feel the same?

I always loved Dreamcast and (after Sony's hype) I found the PS2 to be disappointing. But the PS2 can push a lot more polygons than Dreamcast and you can tell by comparing games over the 2 libraries. For example, compare NFL2k2 on DC to the next year versions on PS2 - on PS2, you get better faces and other details that the DC couldn't pull off (DC has more generic faces for the players).

Still, DC has a really sharp and unique look to many of its games, with some fantastic textures in some games like Sonic Adventure and Ecco: Defender of the Future.

I always loved Dreamcast and (after Sony's hype) I found the PS2 to be disappointing. But the PS2 can push a lot more polygons than Dreamcast and you can tell by comparing games over the 2 libraries. For example, compare NFL2k2 on DC to the next year versions on PS2 - on PS2, you get better faces and other details that the DC couldn't pull off (DC has more generic faces for the players).

Still, DC has a really sharp and unique look to many of its games, with some fantastic textures in some games like Sonic Adventure and Ecco: Defender of the Future.

i remember being disappointed when i got NFL2K3 on the PS2

from all the hype i thought it was gonna be leaps and bounds better than the dreamcast

as it turned out i thought the Dreamcast version played smoother and was more fun

I think dreamcast was a great system, and could have competed with ps2 up until about 2003-2004 or so, but I really feel that after that PS2 pulled way too far ahead for it to stand a chance. PS2 did *eventually* prove itself to be far superior hardware, and going back to dreamcast with its 'sawing' cdrom drive and idiot controllers is hard for me to do.

I will say that as awful as those controllers look now, I loved them at the time. They had analog triggers for racing games, and the stick was in the right spot.

I think my least favorite part of ps2 is how all graphics (even bright ones) tend to appear slightly dull on the system--compared to what I think they should look like. It's hard to explain, but I tend to have to boost screen brightness when I play that system.

I think my least favorite part of ps2 is how all graphics (even bright ones) tend to appear slightly dull on the system--compared to what I think they should look like. It's hard to explain, but I tend to have to boost screen brightness when I play that system.

yup i agree with that..that's what i meant in my post about the ps2's sometimes dull graphics

i've been playing my dreamcast for about a solid month lately

playing all kinds of games but mostly racing games

anyway i went back to the ps2 when i bought mlb 2k9 the other day

and after playing the dreamcast i notice just how much slower some games

on the ps2 are and the graphics on some games werent as good as the dreamcast

most dreamcast racers were smooth as hell with a great frame rate but it seems the ps2 games

were slower with what looked like washed out graphics

it could be that i just have better games for the dreamcast than i do for the ps2 but

anybody else feel the same?

When the PS2 first hit the scene it had less than stellar development tools. I think over time that has changed. Like you, my intial impresions of the first gen PS2 games was a bit dissapointing.

-Lee

I don't really care how the games look. Dreamcast had Bangai-O, Ikaruga, Rez, Crazy Taxi, Shenmue, Gunbird 2, Grandia II, Mars Matrix, Jet Grind Radio, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Virtua Fighter 3TB, Space Channel 5, SoulCalibur, The House of the Dead 2, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, SEGAGAGA, and Virtua Tennis. I know some of those games eventually made their way to PS2, but Dreamcast had them first.

Gamecube is my favorite sixth generation console, followed by Dreamcast, PS2, and Xbox in that order.

I'd agree with Dreamcast was better then the PS2. Just the fast game play and bright vivid graphics are enough to accomplish that.

Sure, the PS2 could move more poly's, which only translated into "slightly" better gfx, and only when developers took advantage of it.

Have to rememeber, it was the first of the 6th generation consoles out like a year & a half before anything else. Despite that, it's specs aren't bad, and the PS2's aren't "that" much better.

Hell, even compared to the Xbox, the DC holds it's own nicely I think.

They are both really fun systems, but I don't agree the DreamC was better than the PS2. The PS2 is more powerful, and while the Dreamcast is no slouch and it has some impressive games there is no denying this fact. The PS2 has WAAAAY more games. Okay this is a double edged sword there is a ton of crap for the PS2 as well, but if you wade through the shovelware you will find more A list PS2 games than there are Dreamcast games altogether by a factor of 10.

I still think the Dreamcast was/is a great console, but it's hard to compete with the PS2 it just has so much to offer.

The PS2 has WAAAAY more games. Okay this is a double edged sword there is a ton of crap for the PS2 as well, but if you wade through the shovelware you will find more A list PS2 games than there are Dreamcast games altogether by a factor of 10.

So? That has nothing to do with the question. Nor does it define capability.

Surely you're not going to say that the PS1 or Saturn or C64 or A800 are better then the PS3 because they have more games?

The better system could have only one game and still be the "better" system, that it's not supported doesn't change that.

Its all about the developer and how good you\they are with making a game for a specific system.

Look at God of War on the PS2. I can say that those games could pass for a 360 or PS3 title. They actually look better than some modern games.

I love the Dreamcast too but to compare it to the PS2 is not really fair to either system.

Each had its killer looking games. Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast is by far still my favorite version of the game and I will always prefer Grandia and Code V on the Dreamcast.

Sure, the PS2 could move more poly's, which only translated into "slightly" better gfx, and only when developers took advantage of it.

Didn't many PS2 developers find that higher polygon counts weren't worth the hit to lighting and textures? An example: FFX has a higher polygon count than FFXII. Just force Vaan and crew close to the camera, and check out the crab claws. Metal Gear Solid 3 achieved the same results by cutting the frame rate in half.

Perhaps if the Dreamcast had lived long enough to see the shift in videogame art direction, it's hardware would be thought of as being ahead of it's time...

Edited by A Sprite

Gran Turismo 3 and 4 shit on anything from the DC...

Hell not not 3 but 4 maybe. The DC's full potential was never unlocked. If it were, I could see Wii quality games which are a little above the Xbox.

not really going to get xbox quality out of a DC. it had enough trouble trying to look better than the PS2. If somehow a DC game was created that pushed the hardware hard enough to look like an xbox title, that would just mean the xbox needs more pushing.

still dreamcast did have some 'near ps2' racers. By that I mean that at ps2's launch DC's end of life racers looked almost as good--later PS2 titles fairly handily trounced DC. I really liked the graphics on MSR and Sega GT, but I think Ferrari 355 Challenge was the prettiest. Cockpit view with steering wheel--nice.

Edited by Reaperman

Gran Turismo 3 and 4 shit on anything from the DC...

Hell not not 3 but 4 maybe. The DC's full potential was never unlocked. If it were, I could see Wii quality games which are a little above the Xbox.

not really going to get xbox quality out of a DC. it had enough trouble trying to look better than the PS2. If somehow a DC game was created that pushed the hardware hard enough to look like an xbox title, that would just mean the xbox needs more pushing.

still dreamcast did have some 'near ps2' racers. By that I mean that at ps2's launch DC's end of life racers looked almost as good--later PS2 titles fairly handily trounced DC. I really liked the graphics on MSR and Sega GT, but I think Ferrari 355 Challenge was the prettiest. Cockpit view with steering wheel--nice.

No those games were pretty much just launch titles in comparison to what it could do. There's not many games that were on the other 3 consoles that the Dreamcast couldn't have done. GT4, Doom 3 and Ninja Gaiden come to mind.

No those games were pretty much just launch titles in comparison to what it could do. There's not many games that were on the other 3 consoles that the Dreamcast couldn't have done. GT4, Doom 3 and Ninja Gaiden come to mind.

Yeah.

Look at Half Life, Unreal Tournament, DOA2, AiTD, some of the Resident Evil games.

Hell, RE2 ranked higher on the DC then the PC & GC versions.

It was a very capable system. Had Sega not killed it off so early in the game, we would have seen much better. Lets face it, the best games on the PS2, Xbox & GC didn't come out till later in their lives. DC never had that chance.

The Dreamcast COULD have been better than the Playstation 2, if only Sega had given it the support it deserved. What can be said with absolute certainty is that Sega's software for the Dreamcast was superior to the games it developed for the Playstation 2, or either of its competitors.

Screw Ferrari 355, look at Test Drive Le Mans. If there was any proof the DC could deliver to the point the PS2 could, it was that game hands down.

Honestly, you guys have to remember, it was less about how popular the DC was, and more about how mismanaged Sega was. Sega America and Sega Japan were practically at each other's throats. If they had calmed down and worked out a common game plan, they would have done fine. We didn't destroy Sega, Sega destroyed Sega.

I love my PS2, if not just for the few games on there I will always cherish. But honestly, I like my DC better, and I have more games by far on there that i think are timeless than the ps2 hands down. I still remember how much I wished I could have it. I still remember drooling over Sonic Adventure scans in the FAO Shwartz Christmass magazine , thining to myself "my god, I wish Mario 64 looked like this" and "how can it get better than this? amazing!"

Sigh, I miss those days.

lemans2.jpg

le-mans-24-hours-pc-1.jpg

le-mans-24-hours-pc-2.jpg

Edited by DaytonaUSA

We didn't destroy Sega, Sega destroyed Sega.

They claim piracy killed it. Tho it's funny. The Dreamcast is the one system I own the most legimiate copies of games for and the system I pirated the least. I was still buying legimiate copies of games as late as 2006 from places that still sold them (GameXchange of OKC, OK - best damn VG store I've ever been in, ever, anywhere!)

Truth is, mismangement, like you said. Sega started having those issues back in the Genesis days.

Lets milk it and stall for time while we figure out what we want to do for the next console by releasing goofy gimicky add-ons that we aren't going to support and drop like a rock a year from now. We think we know what the PSX is, quick, patch the Saturn up, release it early, charge too much and drop support for Gen/CD/X32. The DC's ready. Great, drop all support for the Saturn and get it out there now before everything else.

Thing is, a lot of people didn't want to buy another Sega console at this point because they knew Sega was going to shaft them. Stores too, Sega increasingly found it difficult to get shelf space because stores were tired of being backed logged with abandonded hardware. The die-hard fanbase just isn't big enough to support a hardware company with. And in following with tradition, shafted DC owners by killing it early in it's life cycle.

I'm a Sega fan, and they made great hardware, but they were still a bunch of royal f--k ups in how they handled everything.

I love my PS2, if not just for the few games on there I will always cherish. But honestly, I like my DC better, and I have more games by far on there that i think are timeless than the ps2 hands down.

I hear that. To this day, I still play my DC more then my PS2. Large library of well done games of all genres and relatively low percentage of crap. Just last night I was playing Chu Chu Rocket. * Mouse Mania! * Hot damn. Squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak. Over 600 mice in my ship. * Cat Attack! * Noooooooooooooo!!

The PS2 has WAAAAY more games. Okay this is a double edged sword there is a ton of crap for the PS2 as well, but if you wade through the shovelware you will find more A list PS2 games than there are Dreamcast games altogether by a factor of 10.

So? That has nothing to do with the question. Nor does it define capability.

Surely you're not going to say that the PS1 or Saturn or C64 or A800 are better then the PS3 because they have more games?

The better system could have only one game and still be the "better" system, that it's not supported doesn't change that.

yea it does... what makes a system "better" is how much fun it is. I didn't realize this was just about which system is more powerful... but ummmmm the PS2 wins there too. Higher disc capacity, faster read times, faster and more powerful system architecture. Like I said they are both great systems... I gave up rating systems by their technical power a long time ago, to me it's all about the games. Even if the Dreamcast was more powerful than PS2 it still would lag behind in the amount of A list fun games you could play with it by the 100's... Look at the Game Cube it's more powerful than the PS2 but aside from a handful of exclusive titles there is no compelling reason to own one. The PS2 has a huge library and aside from the Nintendo exclusives, any good game for the cube made it the PS2 anyway.