IGNORED

Whats the best old time video game system to own that's either 32 bit or 64

kane459

hello i currently own a ps2 as well as a panasonic 3do and im looking into getting another system but im not up to par on the older systems i was thinking either an atari jaguar or a sega saturn what 32 and 64 bit systems are best for a collector like me and i know these systems are old so you can spare me the lecturs i love my ps2 but i also love the older systems loved playing ailens vs predator on my old jaguar before it broke so what systems are best for the price? by the way i dont want a nintendo 64 as i already have one but thanaks tho please post links to your info if you can ciao

PS. im thinking an atari jaguar would be my best bet only there so exspensive even on ebay and amazon so give me your opinions please

[Lecture]

32- and 64-bit systems are old? I must be an antique!

(Allow me a moment to reflect on the paradox of posting on a website dedicated to Atari while expecting someone to bust your balls for being into "old" 32-bit consoles. ;) )

[/Lecture]

My favorite system of the 32-bit generation is probably the Playstation. But since you own a PS2, and presumably have access to PS1 games, I might recommend something like the Sega Saturn. Lots of good games for Saturn. Other systems like Jaguar and 3DO are cool too, but finding games outside of eBay gets tricky. Plus, it could be argued that their software libraries have a lower percentage of quality/enjoyable titles than something like Saturn or Playstation.

For 64-bit, it's hard to go wrong with a Nintendo 64 (I'm actually struggling to think of any other 64-bit machines besides Jaguar). Otherwise, skip to "128-bit" and get a Sega Dreamcast.

And welcome to AtariAge! :)

Since you imply a certain level of cash limitation, I'd say stick with your PS2 and work on building a library instead of just buying consoles at near random. Of the generations you're talking about, the PS2 is the undeniable best choice by far.

You already have a 3DO, and they're pretty nice, but just about all the good games for the system got superior PS1 ports.

The Saturn ages horribly and the only games marginally worth playing on it are all extremely expensive and/or import only titles. It's one you could easily do without. I got rid of mine years ago and I don't miss it at all.

I have a soft spot for the Jaguar, but I'll be honest, the only game I'm ever tempted to play on it anymore is Tempest 2000. If you buy one, realize you're getting it for MAYBE 3 games tops. The library for the system just isn't that good or diverse.

Once again, I think the best bet would be to focus on your PS2. There are plenty of easily available great deals for the system right now.

I have to disagree. Unless you are going to collect imports, there isn't much reason to get a Saturn except for Nights into Dreams. When I had a Saturn, I had only a handful of domestic games and a bunch of Japanese titles. They gave the Saturn a lot more love over there.

I agree with whoever said that you should just build up your PSX collection. If you are strapped for cash then there is no reason to start collecting for another system, especially something like the Saturn where you are going to have a hard time finding games without paying full value for them.

Chris

Edited by Jibbajaba

This is more a matter of personal taste with each system's game library. I have a Saturn, Jaguar, PlayStation, and N64 (as well as a Dreamcast if you want to jump ahead to 128b). My personal favorite of the group is the N64. The DreamCast is also up there, but that's more or less in a different league. And the PlayStation does have a great library. But I think the 2 best game system ever are the NES and the Atari 2600. And the bulk of why I like them both so much has mostly (if not all) to do with the game libraries on each.

As for cost, shop around and avoid ebay. I just got my first Jaguar yesterday and it came with 5 games (including Alien vs Predator) for a grand total of $35. Deals can be found if you look.

The only think I will say is beware of old disk based consoles unless you're tech savvy. Both my Saturn and Dreamcast are acting up, and searching around I find that it's not that uncommon of a problem (disk drive motor problems, laser calibration, etc.). The Jag and N64 are cart-based, so that's a plus in my book.

I have to disagree. Unless you are going to collect imports, there isn't much reason to get a Saturn except for Nights into Dreams. When I had a Saturn, I had only a handful of domestic games and a bunch of Japanese titles. They gave the Saturn a lot more love over there.

I agree with whoever said that you should just build up your PSX collection. If you are strapped for cash then there is no reason to start collecting for another system, especially something like the Saturn where you are going to have a hard time finding games without paying full value for them.

Chris

And this is coming from a guy that has SEGA as his avatar? :ponder: I'd have to say Saturn. I just got one myself as i regretted selling off my other one. Your PS2 is definitely an asset to you. Alot of great games on that one. Saturn games aren't that hard to get if you know what your doing. I find that the hardest will be Burning Rangers, Shining Force III, Most any Working Designs games, Christmas Nights, Panzer Dragoon Saga, and Guardian Heroes.

And this is coming from a guy that has SEGA as his avatar? :ponder:

Hahah. I didn't even think about that. My love for Sega is based on the 16-bit generation.

I will say that now that I am doing the whole RGB thing, I wish I had kept my Saturn stuff, as it would be great to play those Capcom Generation disks in RGB. Other than that, the Saturn wasn't worth the shelf space for me.

Chris

Saturn is far and away the best system ever made.

For those who say it's import/expensive only: Virtua Fighter 2, NiGHTS Into Dreams, Panzer Dragoon, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Astal, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Dead or Alive, Duke Nukem 3D, Fighters Megamix, Gex, Rayman, and Saturn Bomberman to start.

But if you do want to pay top dollar, then it truly doesn't get any better. Radiant Silvergun, GunBird, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Burning Rangers, Shining (series), Shinobi Legions, Grandia, Shin Megami Tensei, The House of the Dead, The King of Fighters (series), Metal Slug, Fatal Fury (series), Lunar...

The Saturn is the most "hardcore" system ever made. 2d fighters, SHMUPs, and epic RPGs.

My favorite system of any generation is the N64, and it's definitely a great system for budget collecting -- most of the best stuff is either cheap or really cheap!

A few of my favorite games:

Banjo-Kazooie

Blast Corps

Donkey Kong 64

Ocarina of Time

Mario Golf

Mario Kart 64

Paper Mario

Pokemon Snap

Starfox 64

Shadows of the Empire

Super Mario 64

Tetrisphere

Laser calibration is not difficult if one has the correct tools and knows what values to set. The required tools aren't basic stuff, but they aren't overly expensive or hard to get, either. Replacing a laser unit is even easier. I've been inside several Panasonic CD players, several DVD players, and the PS1. Replacing the laser units is as simple as pulling the old unit and dropping the new one in. No soldering is involved at all. Once the replacement is installed, you set the calibration and go. If you can replace a socketed IC in an Atari system, you can do the physical part of replacing an optical pickup.

What else is there to wear out in a Saturn besides the CD drive and the cart slot? For that matter, what else is there to wear out in any disc based system besides the laser assembly? OK, so your hard disk might wear out, I'm sure there are hacks that let you install a third party drive, and away you go. Fans locked up? Any computer shop has those.

The only reason a Saturn user would be concerned about the cart slot anyway is if they want to switch carts. If they're using a NetLink to email game saves to and from their PC, or if they're runninf KOF '95, then they might have reason to worry about the slot. The battery needs changed maybe once a year. You back up to the cart, change the battery, then restore the system memory.

Edited by shadow460

I agree it depends on personal taste, but the Saturn has many unique experiences that should appeal to old-school 16-bit Sega fans. For one thing, all the Sega published games. Graphically the Saturn's 3D has aged just as badly as the PS1, Jag, and some N64 3D has of course, so you might have to get used to the look at first.

Some examples:

Are you a Sonic 16-bit fan? You'll enjoy Sonic 3D blast and Sonic Jam's cool little 3D world and compilation of excellently ported Sonic games. NiGHTS into Dreams is another game that shouldn't be hard to find or expensive. Sonic R isn't a great game but for the Sonic fan, there are things to enjoy - just don't overpay.

Other Saturn-only games are the Daytona games, Sega Rally Championship, Manx TT, Fighters Megamix, Virtua Cop 1and 2, Bug, Clockwork Knight 1 and 2, Astal, Shinobi Legions, and a great version of Rayman.

Saturn is far and away the best system ever made.

For those who say it's import/expensive only: Virtua Fighter 2, NiGHTS Into Dreams, Panzer Dragoon, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Astal, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Dead or Alive, Duke Nukem 3D, Fighters Megamix, Gex, Rayman, and Saturn Bomberman to start.

But if you do want to pay top dollar, then it truly doesn't get any better. Radiant Silvergun, GunBird, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Burning Rangers, Shining (series), Shinobi Legions, Grandia, Shin Megami Tensei, The House of the Dead, The King of Fighters (series), Metal Slug, Fatal Fury (series), Lunar...

The Saturn is the most "hardcore" system ever made. 2d fighters, SHMUPs, and epic RPGs.

I figure this thread has fizzled down now, and it's safe to go ahead and post this.

When I read Famicommander's post above I immediately thought of how many of these games are playable on the PS2.

Virtua Fighter 2 can be played on the PS2 as an import (although why you wouldn't just get one of the later installments of this overrated series is beyond me)

Panzer Dragoon can be played on the PS2 as an import

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is widely considered superior on the Playstation.

Dead or Alive has a Playstation version with bonus content.

Duke Nukem 3D has a Playstation version

Gex has a Playstation version

Rayman has a Playstation version

Gunbird has a domestic Playstation version called Mobile Light Force

Grandia has an English domestic version on the Playstation.

The entire King of Fighters series can be played on a PS2 (only 99 is a PS1 title). The whole series will cost you under $100.

The entire Metal Slug series can be played on a PS2 on one collection disc.

All the Fatal Fury games are on 2 PS2 collection discs except for Garou, which can be purchased as an import and isn't on the Saturn anyway.

Both Lunar games are available for the domestic PS1 and in English.

But what really got me was the implication that the Saturn was somehow better for RPGs. Whoa, talk about completely and totally wrong in every way! If you're into RPGs the PS2 is the absolute best choice. You could probably combine the RPG libraries of all the non-Sony systems for the past 2 generations preceeding the PS2 and still not be able to match the sheer number playable on a PS2.

Even in the SHMUP and 2D fighter category the PS2 is superior with the ability to play games like Raystorm, Gradius 3-5, Marvel Vs Capcom 2, the ENTIRE KoF series (instead of just the early ones), Guilty Gear... Not to mention many others.

Now, if someone wants Panzer Dragoon Saga or Dragon Force in English or a non-MAME home port of the Dungeons & Dragons games, then they're stuck with the Saturn. However, if we're talking about depth and breath of a library, there is absolutely no defending the Saturn at all.