IGNORED

Season 2 5200 HSC Round 4 *Pitfall II: Lost Caverns*

darthkur

Those erratic bats and also the condors are my worst enemies. I understand both patterns (I jump over the bats, duck under the condors as they are ascending) but I mess up the positioning often. The ants - if need be, you can stand still and jump over them. If you have lots of running space though I run towards & jump over, but when the quickly reverse at screen-edge, I just stand still and jump, letting them run under my feet.

I have never completed the 2nd stage.

Those erratic bats and also the condors are my worst enemies. I understand both patterns (I jump over the bats, duck under the condors as they are ascending) but I mess up the positioning often. The ants - if need be, you can stand still and jump over them. If you have lots of running space though I run towards & jump over, but when the quickly reverse at screen-edge, I just stand still and jump, letting them run under my feet.

I have never completed the 2nd stage.

i dont know if it is cheating but on some games i mark the screen with a dry erase marker to mark good spots like the zenith of the condors (when entering the screen mark the high point leave come back and head for that spot)

also i use it to cheat with classic concentration on my commodore

VERY pleased by my first-half score this time. Doing better but can do much better in 2nd half.

i hope you printed out the map and highlighted important things and routes

that second quest is off the hook with the ladders and platforms that you really have to take convoluted paths to get too

the swimming part bugs me not that it is hard but it is physically impossible to have the water level be at one level then you dive in and swim up 3 screens shouldn't that technically flood the whole cavern

it would have been hilarious to have the diving/drowning sound from jungle hunt when you went underwater

Nope, I didn't refer to a map at all. Just exploring. I might do it after I get frustrated; I might be done with this competition though, not sure if I'll have time tomorrow.

Once again thanks to AA and this HSC, I have explored a 5200 game deeper than I had back in the day. :)

Never was very good at this game.To make things harder, I had to play it on an emulator this time. I couldn't get my cart to work. How do you get to the second caverns?

post-4182-1239584777.jpg

Edited by DensB68

Never was very good at this game.To make things harder, I had to play it on an emulator this time. I couldn't get my cart to work. How do you get to the second caverns?

post-4182-1239584777.jpg

You have to successfully complete the first cavern to gain access to the second.

....i have to say the second part is 4 times harder than the first part

atari004.png

You got that right. I still haven't made it very far in the second cavern. This is mostly due to those bats that fly very eratic patterns. I just can't seem to figure them out.

if you walk off screen the bats reset! this can be teadus and a pain in the but I now remember the 2nd cave from the 800 witch is exactly the same rom as the 5200 as a 5200 is just a 400/800 w out keyboard!!....

I picked up a few more gold bars. I'm doing better than i thought i would at this game.

I have a question tho. How come i can't jump over the rat in the pic below. He keeps pushing me off the screen.

you cant jump the squrell you have to go under all the way around but if you were to get on the other side then you can pass this is impossible unless you cheat ... witch you cant do w out w atatri800 ... wish you luck ...

post-4182-1239584777.jpg

You have to successfully complete the first cavern to gain access to the second.

if you wait in the lower cavern the long up down one wait for ballons then you can get the ring the cat and the diamond witch you have to Take a leap of faith like indiana jones i think its the 2nd one from the top on the right side then jump from almost the edge to the diamond room then its a pain cause you have to go up the left side to get to the wiggly cat guy then a door opens up harry jumps like more than 5 times then door opens he goes threw and you are on level 2 witch to me would seem to take a nother week to finish mabie 5 months.. level 2 is harder...

How about some analysis/discussion of the game? Two neat little surprises that I noticed/remembered while playing this time:

1. The stone-age rat - before grabbing Quickclaw (and ending the 1st level), make sure you go right and grab the rat for mucho points.

2. The Raj diamond. figuring out which ledge to jump off (standing on screen right) to get to the screen-left ledge leading to the diamond.

Problems with Pitfall II:

1. The first half is flawless IMHO. I don't know what the perfect score is for the first cavern but it wouldn't take too long to attain it, I think. It is very well designed in all ways, and fun. The hardest part is the running the final cave past all those condors and bats, but I found it not to be unfair in challenge. Little details like the waterfall, the rat which you can only approach from behind, the scrolling and nooks-n-crannies of the caverns filled with treasure, and the variety of beasts to contend with, all these things add up to a very cool game.

2. However, the second cavern - the one exclusive to 5200 -- is too frustrating, especially when using the analog stick which can cause you to miss jumps or jump off ladders if not careful. I think the rabid bats may be the worst culprit with their mind-boggling flight pattern. Those ants are the hardest thing to jump over I've ever seen - there seems to be absolutely no margin for error, and in some screens the ant is almost upon you as you enter the screen! I know I found myself getting very frustrated at returning to the red crosses over & over.

I think a solution could have allowing the player to choose an easier difficulty or the current (hard!) difficulty. Like if a red door and a blue door would both open and the player could choose which to go thru at that point. I bet few gamers saw the great ending to the game. I'm no slouch in gaming yet I couldn't do it during this competition, so I can only assume many just threw down their controllers in frustration back in the day.

2. However, the second cavern - the one exclusive to 5200 -- is too frustrating, especially when using the analog stick which can cause you to miss jumps or jump off ladders if not careful. I think the rabid bats may be the worst culprit with their mind-boggling flight pattern. Those ants are the hardest thing to jump over I've ever seen - there seems to be absolutely no margin for error, and in some screens the ant is almost upon you as you enter the screen! I know I found myself getting very frustrated at returning to the red crosses over & over.

I think a solution could have allowing the player to choose an easier difficulty or the current (hard!) difficulty. Like if a red door and a blue door would both open and the player could choose which to go thru at that point. I bet few gamers saw the great ending to the game. I'm no slouch in gaming yet I couldn't do it during this competition, so I can only assume many just threw down their controllers in frustration back in the day.

I agree that the second part is insanely difficult. At least it is for me. :| Then again it wasn't too long ago that I felt that way towards the game in general. Once I figured out a couple things it became manageable and fun. With the second cavern there is, again, a couple things I just can't seem to get the handle of. Namely those rabid bats for the most part but the ants are a pain as well but I'm getting better with those. I just can never get past one of those stupid bats yet. Very frustrating. Until I can figure it out the second half is unplayable for me.

The perfect score for the 1st cavern is: 199,000 points

The perfect score in the 2nd cavern is: 305,000 points

Pulling off a perfect game: 504,000 points

Once you gt used to the rythm of the rabid bat's flight pattern, timing your jump gets easier. Sometimes, you have to run away from it, then return to the screen to get a better shot of jumping over it, but it simply takes practice.

Same with the ants, once you have the timing down, and you know where the ants are, they become the easiest obstacles to clear.

Like I said before, it's the roaming frogs that I hate. In some cases, you can get them on the screen without getting close enough for them to track you. Let them jump off the screen before making a run for it. But in those cases where you have to jump them...you need perfect timing. Ypoui have to get close enough without them touching you, then you have to jump them as soon as they land in front of you. VERY HARD!

The most paramount, is knowing the best route to take in order to find the Magic Basket, Magic Flute, Golden Rope, and the Flute Player. Then you need to find the special room where you escape the cavern, (once you find the special items,) thus finishing the game.

I'll have to look, but I did a map of the route I took, which also takes you to all the gold bars.

The perfect score for the 1st cavern is: 199,000 points

The perfect score in the 2nd cavern is: 305,000 points

Pulling off a perfect game: 504,000 points

Once you gt used to the rythm of the rabid bat's flight pattern, timing your jump gets easier. Sometimes, you have to run away from it, then return to the screen to get a better shot of jumping over it, but it simply takes practice.

Same with the ants, once you have the timing down, and you know where the ants are, they become the easiest obstacles to clear.

Like I said before, it's the roaming frogs that I hate. In some cases, you can get them on the screen without getting close enough for them to track you. Let them jump off the screen before making a run for it. But in those cases where you have to jump them...you need perfect timing. Ypoui have to get close enough without them touching you, then you have to jump them as soon as they land in front of you. VERY HARD!

The most paramount, is knowing the best route to take in order to find the Magic Basket, Magic Flute, Golden Rope, and the Flute Player. Then you need to find the special room where you escape the cavern, (once you find the special items,) thus finishing the game.

I'll have to look, but I did a map of the route I took, which also takes you to all the gold bars.

I'm not looking forward to those frogs. :D Did you ever get a perfect game in both sections? Has anyone? :P

I'm not looking forward to those frogs. :D Did you ever get a perfect game in both sections? Has anyone? :P

I did it back in 2006. It was extremely difficult to do; especially since every time a mistake was made, I'd have to start the game over from the very beginning in the 1st cavern (which drove me nuts!)

Here's a link to the thread, and below is the screenshot :cool:

Old_thread :post #16 is where I announce the perfect score, and apparently it took around 33 minutes to pull off

So far, I'm the only officially verified player to do it, (I taped my perfect game and had it verified by Twin Galaxies,) but I'm sure someone else has done it, or at least I would assume. But either way, it is definitely a challenge, and I'd love to see another gamer here pull it off one day.

post-2095-1239759148_thumb.jpg

Edited by the 5th ghost

I did it back in 2006. It was extremely difficult to do; especially since every time a mistake was made, I'd have to start the game over from the very beginning in the 1st cavern (which drove me nuts!)

Here's a link to the thread, and below is the screenshot :cool:

Old_thread :post #16 is where I announce the perfect score, and apparently it took around 33 minutes to pull off

So far, I'm the only officially verified player to do it, (I taped my perfect game and had it verified by Twin Galaxies,) but I'm sure someone else has done it, or at least I would assume. But either way, it is definitely a challenge, and I'd love to see another gamer here pull it off one day.

That's truly amazing. I can't imagine the endless hours it must have taken to get to the point where you could even begin a realistic attempt at a perfect score. Congratulations.

Agreed with darthkur and he took the words right out of my mouth - that is truly amazing!!!

For some reason, I have no problem with the frogs. Whether I'm going up the ladder, or down, or trying to cross a frog on the horizontal as it approaches me, I don't think I've ever hit one. But those bats (and ants to a lesser degree) confound me.

Edited by Cafeman