IGNORED

Atari 5200 vs. CelecoVision

segasaturn

Pretty interesting the CV fans who think the 5200 controller sucked. :ponder: If the 5200 controller were an "F" (which it isn't...you just have to be good at gaming and a little practice and they're fine) the CV controllers are a "D minus". Who was the brainchild who designed the 2nd fire button on the OPPOSITE side? You either have to use your thumb and practically drop the controller, or give it the old "reach around" with your other hand. I absolutely hated the CV controllers, but after playing a while, I got used to them.

I also wonder how many complaining actually PLAYED a 5200..."think as a brick and weighed as much as one too" ??? HUH?

Don't get me wrong, both systems are awesome and have their own +'s and -'s, and to not have both and critique the other seems kinda silly. Jeez just play!

Pretty interesting the CV fans who think the 5200 controller sucked. :ponder: If the 5200 controller were an "F" (which it isn't...you just have to be good at gaming and a little practice and they're fine) the CV controllers are a "D minus". Who was the brainchild who designed the 2nd fire button on the OPPOSITE side? You either have to use your thumb and practically drop the controller, or give it the old "reach around" with your other hand. I absolutely hated the CV controllers, but after playing a while, I got used to them.

I also wonder how many complaining actually PLAYED a 5200..."think as a brick and weighed as much as one too" ??? HUH?

Don't get me wrong, both systems are awesome and have their own +'s and -'s, and to not have both and critique the other seems kinda silly. Jeez just play!

I played the 5200 quite often as a young kid/teen. I used to trade my coleco for a few days with the kid down the block for his 5200. I gave it back after a couple of days but the kid refused to return my coleco because it was so much better. he even had atari's latest and greatest games and they still couldnt compare to the first run of original coleco games.

coleco's controllers werent all that bad. if you hated them, then you could upgrade to the super action controllers with the knob that resembled an arcade joystick.

I own a 5200. picked it up at a garage sale, MIOB, for $20, along with 5 other MIOB games. I have no desire to play with it. i would rather break out the ol coleco and have a blast with it.

I played the 5200 quite often as a young kid/teen. I used to trade my coleco for a few days with the kid down the block for his 5200. I gave it back after a couple of days but the kid refused to return my coleco because it was so much better. he even had atari's latest and greatest games and they still couldnt compare to the first run of original coleco games.

coleco's controllers werent all that bad. if you hated them, then you could upgrade to the super action controllers with the knob that resembled an arcade joystick.

I own a 5200. picked it up at a garage sale, MIOB, for $20, along with 5 other MIOB games. I have no desire to play with it. i would rather break out the ol coleco and have a blast with it.

Sure. You bought something you have no desire to play? I call bullshit. I also fail to believe the trading crap. No parents let their kids trade entire systems. Those both cost over $200 bucks back in the 80's which is a helluva lot more than it is now.

Ok. I had a CV back in the day too. My parents let me trade it in for a calculator because at least that didn't skip and jump flicker like many CV games.

:roll:

Who won (as far as sales went) by generation:

First: The Atari VCS/2600. It wasn't even close. The Astrocade, the APX, Odyssey 2, the Telstar Arcade, the Fairchild Channel F, never had a chance.

Second: The Intellivision (a one-horse race). In some cases, it matched the third generation.

Third: ColecoVision (I'm including the Arcadia 2001 and Vectrex in this group).

Fourth: The NES. It beat the SMS and 7800 combined. If Atari and Coleco in the early 1980s was an example of how not to do it, Nintendo in the latter half of that decade was the example of how it should be done.

Fifth: As far as I know, the Genesis. Unlike the NES and 2600, though, there didn't seem to be a huge winner here.

Sixth and onward: I'm not sure, partially because what made up the "sixth generation" is not entirely clear. You had the CDi and 3DO, and maybe a few others (would the 32X and Sega CD be here?). Did it include the Saturn, N64, Jaguar, and Playstation, or were those last three the seventh generation? What about the Jaguar?

The longest-lived: The Atari 2600. From the late 1970s almost into the early 1990s, what other system had that kind of staying power?

As for controllers: again, the CV won out, for two reasons:

1) They were digital, as were almost all of the games at the time.

2) They were of the 9-pin design. This made it incredibly easy to find alternatives, especially with the cheap and then-widely available y-plugs.

I'd used the 5200 controllers for years, but it wasn't until I'd built a digital controller for the console that I finally broke 20,000 in Berzerk. Likewise, my games of Robotron: 2084 improved greatly. Same with Mario Bros., Qix, Defender, Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man...and I was able to finish games of Super Breakout with the paddle controller.

Reasons to get a CV: Steamroller, Spy Hunter, Pac-Man Collection, Bump `N Jump, Illusions, Ladybug, Slither, Lord of the Dungeon, Alcazar (1985!)*, Boulder Dash, Fortune Builder, Pepper 2, Gateway to Apshai, Galaxian, Cosmic Avenger, etc...

Reasons to get a 5200: Berzerk (one of my favorites), Star Raiders*, Defender, Centipede, Gyruss, Blueprint, Robotron: 2084, Pac-Man (somehow it captures the essence of that game), Ms. Pac-Man, Pengo, Super Pac-Man, Qix, Super Breakout (if you like this 1970's game and you have a paddle controller then it's great), Ballblazer (why bother with the 7800 version?), etc...

* The CV won out on RPGs, but the 5200 had it with first-player shooters.

Edited by CV Gus

Who won (as far as sales went) by generation:

First: The Atari VCS/2600. It wasn't even close. The Astrocade, the APX, Odyssey 2, the Telstar Arcade, the Fairchild Channel F, never had a chance.

Second: The Intellivision (a one-horse race). In some cases, it matched the third generation.

Hmm, I believe the 2600 beat out all of those so called second and third generation machines.

Mitch

Sure. You bought something you have no desire to play? I call bullshit. I also fail to believe the trading crap. No parents let their kids trade entire systems. Those both cost over $200 bucks back in the 80's which is a helluva lot more than it is now.

Ok. I had a CV back in the day too. My parents let me trade it in for a calculator because at least that didn't skip and jump flicker like many CV games.

Seriously? I mean, REALLY?! I personally think that's part of the collector's mojo-- we see a good deal on something and we by it-- I can't even begin to tell you how much unopened crap I've bought for my collection that is still sealed-- some time I buy games for systems I don't even have if the price is right. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I totally believe he bought hte 5200 with no desire to play it. I've got 2 in original boxes that I've had for about 10 years, and I've never even gotten around to see if they both work! lol But the price was right when I came across them, so I grabbed them. Trade bait, whatever. Someday I'll probably grow up and sell what I don't play, but for now, the path continues...

And yes, even in the 80's kids traded things they probably shouldn't have-- and not always with their parents permission. I know as early as 4th grade (10 years old), I was packing the Colecovision in my backpack to take to friends' houses for sleepovers when I wasn't 'supposed to', and we were always trading cartridges. In 7th grade, traded a NES cart (Gumshoe) for a Intv II system with about 25 games. Granted, the Intv II was already out dated, but no parent said a word about it. Let's not even get into some of the baseball card trades I was part of and saw... lol

So, I totally believe the story, no reason not to. My parents probably would have ENCOURAGED such a trade as opposed to shelling out ANOTHER $200 just to see if I liked the 5200! Chances are, as current gen systems, most kids at the time could have one or the other, not both. And trading is a great way to see which one you *really* want. Same to be said for games at $30-40 each.

And for the controllers, I think there is something to be said for the nostalgic part, but the CV controller fin in my hand just fine even at 8 years old when I first played Smurf! Sits in my left hand, Thumb on the left button, index finger on the right button, and ring finger on the indent between 6 and 9 on the right side. Never had a problem with it. Of course, I never had a problem with any of the 3 Adam computers I own (other than a DDP drive dying after about 6 years). Maybe I'm just lucky. :)

I also am not aware of the CV controllers needing rebuild kits as frequently as the 5200 controller. My gripe on the 5200 isn't the analog stick-- which I didn't mind-- but it was the extra buttons, and they were too high on the controller for my liking (keep in mind I was already used to the CV setup, as well). I'm a fan of 2 buttons or less. I know the 5200 and CV occasionally used the number pad, which I was fine with, but having the dual buttons on each side fo the 5200 that high up kind of intimidated me. They were small, and not really intuitively located, making for possible tough game play if all 4 were ever required (I don't know that they were or weren't-- just a fear that they might be lol). The CV Super Action controller has a 4 button set up as well, but a much more functional location IMO-- one large button for each finger in a 'fist' configuration.

I again think it goes back to perception-- my perception of the 5200 controller may be wrong (see above), just as I think many people's perception of the CV controller is wrong. It's a shame they put the disc on top instead of a ball- that would have gone MILES towards getting batter reviews. I think at the time, a lot of people thought you had to spin it, or rotate it IE Intellivision (at least I did-- I rolled my fingers around the outside of the intv discs to play), instead of just pushing it from the side. For all I know, some people are still trying to spin it today! lol

Game for game, Colecovision had the arcade titles I wanted to play, and the best verisons IMO. Specs aside, sales aside, the 5200 just didn't do it for me. Games like Turbo, DK, Jr, Frontline (using SA controllers), Spy Hunter (using SA controllers), Super Action Baseball, Qbert's Qubes, Montezuma's Revenge, Time Pilot, HERO and Antarctic Adventure. Those were staples of my 80's CV gaming.

But don't label me "fanboy" yet. lol For my mileage and memories, nothing of that era beats Kaboom on the 2600 for me... even today. :)

While I have no doubt that the 2600 demolished the others given its long life, documentation of it having 70+% of the video game market from the day etc, how do you know how close or far it was? Do you have sales figures for the others?

The VCS came out in 1977, the Intellivision came out in 1979 and was pitched as a competitor to the VCS. Don't really think of them as "separate" generations.

Again, without stats! I'm going to give a little and suggest it's entirely possible that you are right and that the Colecovision generated higher sales. The problem? You don't actually have 5200 sales to compare to! That's my whole gripe with you: you cling to stats that conflict (is it four million or six million Colecos sold?) and compare to systems where you don't have stats! How many 5200's sold Gus? Please tell us.

And no, "I went into a couple of stores in my area and saw more Colecos in the used section than 5200, so the rest of North America must be exactly the same" is not a basis for comparison.

Cold hard data: How many Colecovisions were sold (from Coleco) and how many 5200s were sold (from Atari). Provide that, and I'll side.

Fifth: As far as I know, the Genesis. Unlike the NES and 2600, though, there didn't seem to be a huge winner here.

There were two huge winners fighting it out: the SNES and the Genesis. They traded hands repeatedly until the SNES finally pulled ahead. Both sold tens of millions of units. This was probably the only time in history where two systems came out about even.

The longest-lived: The Atari 2600. From the late 1970s almost into the early 1990s, what other system had that kind of staying power?

None, though the NES and PS2 did a reasonable power. PS2 is in its 9th year and still moving.

its not bullshit. its still up in my closet, untouched since the day I picked it up. ask my friend, screamandfly. he'll tell you the same.

boy, you must live a terrible life if you cant believe no one traded systems. Im not saying its because I grew up in a rich neighborhood but thats what we did.

Ill tell you a downside to the "swapping systems with friends". My friends little brother, who was around 3, took my favorite game of all time, SPY HUNTER and threw it in the canal! My mother tried getting his parents to cough up a new one but they said "your son comes here and plays with our kids toys and always breaks them so were pretty much even." I was so pissed because this was 1985 and spy hunter was no where to be found in stores anymore.

in my defense, I didnt break the kids toys. they had tons and tons of toys and they were quite abusive and not only that, they had a doberman that chewed everything and I dont think there was one toy in that house that wasnt mauled by the dog (star wars, smurfs, gi joe, you name it!)

its not bullshit. its still up in my closet, untouched since the day I picked it up. ask my friend, screamandfly. he'll tell you the same.

boy, you must live a terrible life if you cant believe no one traded systems. Im not saying its because I grew up in a rich neighborhood but thats what we did.

OK. You traded entire systems back in 1982. Sure.

And no, my life wasn't terrible. It was pretty awesome back then as my parents bought me the better of the 2 systems. ;) I had no reason to trade it for a CV even for a day.

OK. You traded entire systems back in 1982. Sure.

And no, my life wasn't terrible. It was pretty awesome back then as my parents bought me the better of the 2 systems. ;) I had no reason to trade it for a CV even for a day.

no, it wasnt 1982, it was 1985. I bet you had no friends to trade a system with thus you doubting me. thsmiley_zzrofl1.gif

Edited by CARTRIDGE STEALER

no, it wasnt 1982, it was 1985. I bet you had no friends to trade a system with thus you doubting me.

No friends with a Coleco this is true. My cousin had a CV. She was the only person I knew that had one. I had several friends with a 5200. That was the system to have. And, it came out in 1982, not '85. I got it for Xmas that year. By '85, any doubts about which had the best games was settled. Defender, Robotron, Centipede, Qix, Moon Patrol, Berzerk...I could go on. I didn't want the system with the 2nd rate knockoffs like Mouse Trap, and Ladybug. I wanted PacMan and Ms. PacMan. I wanted Centipede, not Slither. It's a shame Atari chose Super Breakout as the initial Pack-in. Coleco had the jump with Donkey Kong, as bad as it was with the flicker, missing screen and all. Had Atari included even Space Invaders the fortunes of the 5200 would have been entirely different. But I knew (as did my friends) what was to come.

Difference is I can now acknowledge the CV is a great system and worth having and playing. I'm not so fanboy as to pretend the entire system has no merits, and would spend any amount of money to buy it with no intention of playing it. :roll:

That's where your story is obvious in it's lack of truth.

Edited by jetset

no, it wasnt 1982, it was 1985. I bet you had no friends to trade a system with thus you doubting me.

No friends with a Coleco this is true. My cousin had a CV. She was the only person I knew that had one. I had several friends with a 5200. That was the system to have. And, it came out in 1982, not '85. I got it for Xmas that year. By '85, any doubts about which had the best games was settled. Defender, Robotron, Centipede, Qix, Moon Patrol, Berzerk...I could go on. I didn't want the system with the 2nd rate knockoffs like Mouse Trap, and Ladybug. I wanted PacMan and Ms. PacMan. I wanted Centipede, not Slither. It's a shame Atari chose Super Breakout as the initial Pack-in. Coleco had the jump with Donkey Kong, as bad as it was with the flicker, missing screen and all. Had Atari included even Space Invaders the fortunes of the 5200 would have been entirely different. But I knew (as did my friends) what was to come.

Difference is I can now acknowledge the CV is a great system and worth having and playing. I'm not so fanboy as to pretend the entire system has no merits, and would spend any amount of money to buy it with no intention of playing it. :roll:

That's where your story is obvious in it's lack of truth.

Listen, I know you fell off the little yellow bus but you have to listen c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y. I traded my coleco in 1985. not 1982. not 1983. not 1984. it was 1985. Got it? so, before you try and debate me with something I did 24 years ago, I suggest you research it before you open your mouth, or type on your keyboard. Im not a fanboy but reading how angry you get makes me laugh. do you still have atari posters all over your room? I bet you are wearing a t-shirt right now that says "have you played your atari today?" as we speak. Face it, the atari 5200 sucked big donkey kong balls and thats why it didnt succeed. Want proof? Watch the specials on VH1 and the atari 5200 is never mentioned. coleco is. hell, coleco is even mentioned in the family guy. why isnt the 5200? BECAUSE IT SUCKED.

Murph grabs his popcorn and a ringside seat....

I swear, its like talking to a kid in special ed, where you have to spell everything out. The funniest part is that he thinks Im bullshitting. yea, like I have to bullshit about trading systems with the kid down the block from me for a few days when I was a kid. I should have known better to respond to a kid like this. :roll:

LOL. Looks like I got under the little fanboy's skin! :rolling: I thought it might take a few posts more for you to go with the real down and dirty insults. The fact that my calling you out on your lie(s) sooner is icing on the cake. You sir, are truly a liar and a credit to your "race".

And yes, I know you're bullshitting. I've seen plenty like you come into these discussions and start hurling the "retard" and "little bus" and such time and time again. The fact that you can't carry on a rational conversation and resort to insulting a system you've never played is awesome. It never gets old.

Carry on.

do you still have atari posters all over your room? I bet you are wearing a t-shirt right now that says "have you played your atari today?"

Ha ha! I kind of would like some Atari posters for my game room with all the systems. Would also like posters for all the systems, though. Don't know if I could wear the t-shirt without looking like a doofus, though; hard to pull off that look when you're over 35!

Face it, the atari 5200 sucked big donkey kong balls and thats why it didnt succeed. Want proof? Watch the specials on VH1 and the atari 5200 is never mentioned. coleco is. hell, coleco is even mentioned in the family guy. why isnt the 5200? BECAUSE IT SUCKED.

Holy cow! Someone doesn't like the 5200!! I don't have one because I play most of the same games on Atari 800/XL/XE (incl. 5200 conversion) so I don't see the need.

Speaking of Donkey Kong (not necessarily balls, however), it's too bad the Atari 400/800 version wasn't available on the 5200, because I'm pretty sure it's the best version of Donkey Kong on the home systems, pie factory screen, etc). As we all know, Coleco purchased the console rights so Atari couldn't produce a 5200 version, which would have been the same game. Coleco was wise to tie up DK rights, Atari not so to put a turd like Breakout as the pack-in.

I'd take a Colecovision, perhaps one day. Yeah, I thought they were great in the early 80s, and seemed very arcade-like at the time. I'd have to put it in the "not so sure I'd actually play it" department, though - along with the Jaguar. I still want both, to complete my eventual "all the systems hooked up and working" collection. My, this hobby takes seemingly unlimited quantities of space and money. Sure is fun, though.

LOL. Looks like I got under the little fanboy's skin! :rolling: I thought it might take a few posts more for you to go with the real down and dirty insults. The fact that my calling you out on your lie(s) sooner is icing on the cake. You sir, are truly a liar and a credit to your "race".

And yes, I know you're bullshitting. I've seen plenty like you come into these discussions and start hurling the "retard" and "little bus" and such time and time again. The fact that you can't carry on a rational conversation and resort to insulting a system you've never played is awesome. It never gets old.

Carry on.

bro, you didnt get under my skin. I just cant believe how stupid you really are. But i suppose the site needs simpletons like you to laugh at. good work. keep on carrying on the good fight for your pathetic atari. Im sure it will win one day.

again, I played the 5200 and it sucked. it sucked so bad that atari had to pay me to keep playing it.

do you still have atari posters all over your room? I bet you are wearing a t-shirt right now that says "have you played your atari today?"

Ha ha! I kind of would like some Atari posters for my game room with all the systems. Would also like posters for all the systems, though. Don't know if I could wear the t-shirt without looking like a doofus, though; hard to pull off that look when you're over 35!

Face it, the atari 5200 sucked big donkey kong balls and thats why it didnt succeed. Want proof? Watch the specials on VH1 and the atari 5200 is never mentioned. coleco is. hell, coleco is even mentioned in the family guy. why isnt the 5200? BECAUSE IT SUCKED.

Holy cow! Someone doesn't like the 5200!! I don't have one because I play most of the same games on Atari 800/XL/XE (incl. 5200 conversion) so I don't see the need.

Speaking of Donkey Kong (not necessarily balls, however), it's too bad the Atari 400/800 version wasn't available on the 5200, because I'm pretty sure it's the best version of Donkey Kong on the home systems, pie factory screen, etc). As we all know, Coleco purchased the console rights so Atari couldn't produce a 5200 version, which would have been the same game. Coleco was wise to tie up DK rights, Atari not so to put a turd like Breakout as the pack-in.

I'd take a Colecovision, perhaps one day. Yeah, I thought they were great in the early 80s, and seemed very arcade-like at the time. I'd have to put it in the "not so sure I'd actually play it" department, though - along with the Jaguar. I still want both, to complete my eventual "all the systems hooked up and working" collection. My, this hobby takes seemingly unlimited quantities of space and money. Sure is fun, though.

I really dont hate it but prefer the coleco a million times over it. it sits in my closet right now, collecting dust. I will break it open soon, when my collection room is complete. but It will have to wait because I will have fun with my coleco first.

Carry on.

by the way, looks like your the real fanboy. 8000 posts on this site? to my mere 400 plus? like I said, keep on the good fight. :D

Carry on.

bro, you didnt get under my skin. I just cant believe how stupid you really are. But i suppose the site needs simpletons like you to laugh at. good work. keep on carrying on the good fight for your pathetic atari. Im sure it will win one day.

again, I played the 5200 and it sucked. it sucked so bad that atari had to pay me to keep playing it.

Stupid as to not believe your lies? And, I have a lot more than just a 5200. In fact I have most systems released back in the day as well as many of the systems since. Not sure where you're getting this whole fighting for my pathetic atari stuff. Of course also, that and the fact I've been at this site a lot longer than you are why I have so many posts. I'm not just a fanboy of one system as you are. I have bought and sold, discussed, and played a lot more systems and games. That's what people do on a chatboard.

Anyways, I'm done with you. Thanks for the laugh(S), but I like to limit my conversations with complete bullshitters, and you've already gotten more attention than you are worth.

Carry on.

Stupid as to not believe your lies? And, I have a lot more than just a 5200. In fact I have most systems released back in the day as well as many of the systems since.

Now I know youre a liar. you couldnt afford any of the systems from back in the day. your dirt poor. I bet you dont even have enough money to by yourself a whore. face it: youre a loser.