IGNORED

Wasp! - 7800 homebrew with a twist

GroovyBee

@nonner242 and DracIsBack

Glad you like the mockup. I have the animation frames done for the main character (a wizard) some of the enemies, some power ups, doors and door frames. I just need to make maps of the levels, create some room layouts, draw more enemies, weapons and room furniture sprites and then start coding when I get some time.

@nonner242 and DracIsBack

Glad you like the mockup. I have the animation frames done for the main character (a wizard) some of the enemies, some power ups, doors and door frames. I just need to make maps of the levels, create some room layouts, draw more enemies, weapons and room furniture sprites and then start coding when I get some time.

How about copying the maps from the ZX Spectrum original version?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Now I've solved the issues with Wasp! and it works on real hardware (as does Harry's Hen House :D) where do I go from here? Its now possible to write 7800 arcade games in "C" and use a graphics support library (written in assembler). I did have to make some optimisations for Wasp! because the full screen 12 colour mode (160B) and 6 sprites per zone does take its toll on MARIA :(.

I've never released anything using GPL, LGPL, BSD licenses or the like. What are the best options? Would it be best to host the library on my own site or on AA? (with Alberts permission) What about a support forum like batari Basic for it? Is coding for the 7800 in "C" something other people want to do too? Maybe I should just supply the graphics library in binary form and "C"/ASM headers and avoid licensing issues altogether?

To make a real release I'd need some simple games to demonstrate the library. Any suggests for that besides the obligatory Pong?

Questions... questions...

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

P.S The binary for Wasp! will be released soon after the 7800 Birthday Pack has been shipped.

EDIT: For spelling.

Edited by GroovyBee

As far as what type of game to do.. you could try doing one of the many puzzle games people have put on the web or maybe look pick a simpler game from the Antic and Compute archives. It would be fun to have a text based game. Even something as simple as Hangman.

Allan

maybe look pick a simpler game from the Antic and Compute archives.

Just had a quick look at the Antic archive. I'm not familiar with the inner workings of the Atari 8 bit line. I'd have to try the BASIC games in an emulator to get the feel for them before attempting a 7800 version.

Even something as simple as Hangman

Hmmm... :ponder: Could be a good option. The dictionary would take quite a bit of ROM space for a computerised player.

Oh, i forgot to post... i reviewed Wasp! and it should appear in issue 66 of Retro Gamer (unless i've lost track of which issue i've been working on again! =-)

Damn! Two months to wait until 66 :(. Any chance you can PM me the review? :lol:

PM your email address and i'll send the RTF over. =-)

If you can design and build your own Dev carts, can you design a CC2 replacement?

I have had thoughts along those lines :ponder:. However, I'm not sure that the market is big enough :(. I'm going to do a new PCB design for real 7800 homebrew cart releases. My latest game will be the first to use it :D. I'll release more details closer to the time.

A cart! :-o :-o :-o :-o :lol: Hmmm... I didn't think the game was that good. There's no change in difficulty or monsters as the levels progress. It also needs a way to top up your energy. :ponder:

True fans collect ANYTHING, so this should not suprise you. :)(BTW, nice project so far)

If you can design and build your own Dev carts, can you design a CC2 replacement?

I have had thoughts along those lines :ponder:. However, I'm not sure that the market is big enough :(. I'm going to do a new PCB design for real 7800 homebrew cart releases. My latest game will be the first to use it :D. I'll release more details closer to the time.

Interesting, will you be selling blank PCBs? I have a few eproms lying about looking for a nice place to live :D

As for the flash cart or whatever, depends on cost, but I would hazzard a guess at 50+ being bought

Interesting, will you be selling blank PCBs? I have a few eproms lying about looking for a nice place to live :D

The PCBs will use surface mount components. They will be supplied with all the components needed already soldered down but with a blank flash (no software). Homebrew cart makers will need a special custom programmer to program the carts via USB.

As for the flash cart or whatever, depends on cost, but I would hazzard a guess at 50+ being bought

:ponder: Something to think about...

• 3 months later...

This is the standard edition binary :-

Wasp_Standard_Edition.a78

Wasp_Standard_Edition.bin

You'll need the following information for your CC2 :-

7800_32K 78BIOS

You'll need Pro-Line or Euro D-pads to play the game on real hardware. The binary will work on NTSC and PAL machines.

Enjoy!

• 11 years later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Wasp! on tomorrow's (Tue Jul 27, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT+1Day!

Games:

(SET TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY!)