IGNORED

How many people are tools packing boxed games?

homerwannabee

This is really getting epidemic. Seems like half the sellers are complete tools when packing boxed games. Recently I have been going after boxed games since I have had most of the loose games at one time or another. I have noticed a complete jerkwadness in the way people ship games. Two of the past 3 box game buys have gone kind of bad. Two weeks ago a guy shipped a rarity 5 boxed game in a bubble envolope to me. But he at least had the sense enough to put a ton of bubble wrap around the boxed game in the envelope so I game him a positive with a stern "Box your boxed games!" in his feedback. Then I bought two different games with buy it nows from the same seller. The jerkwad not only had the audacity to send the boxed game in a bubble envelope. He sends them in the same envelope with no extra padding. One of the boxed games came in totally smushed from the trip. Man this ticks me off!!! :mad:

warning, ebay rant:

Yes, this has been epidemic the past year or so especially, which is one of the main reasons I've stopped buying from ebay except occasionally from AA members or some other proven/known entity. Even though I was usually communicating the need for a box, occasionally they were sending them not boxed anyway. The one time I forgot to mention to box it, 2 boxes game wrapped in paper! One was totally crushed, the other not too bad, but still. That turned into a whole fiasco. I've commented on here a few times about this problem, and it's really quite absurd to me. Why can people not understand that we're buying these FOR the boxes, especially when I go out of my way to tell them that? The one guy actually said "look, you have the game cart, it works, right? Isn't that all that matters?" Moron! He had it listed as complete in box, hard to find yadda yadda blah blah, yet he forgets all that when he goes to mail it!? So many people are frikkin' stupid, the world is going to heck in a handbag.

/rant

OK, the guys name is sportsandiecast. He did say he would refund me if I mailed the games back, but the mailing back is half the cost of the game. His response was quick too, so I give him that as well. So what do you think fellow members. Should I give this guy a neutral or a negative?

Edited by homerwannabee

OK, the guys name is sportsandiecast. He did say he would refund me if I mailed the games back, but the mailing back is half the cost of the game. His response was quick too, so I give him that as well. So what do you think fellow members. Should I give this guy a neutral or a negative?

When I send payment through paypal, I always add a note: Please ship in a strong sturdy box to avoid crushing game box. If it is mailed in a bubble envelope and game is crushed, I'll neg the seller.

Since you told him in your first feedback, neg him; otherwise they never learn. :evil: :dunce:

When I send payment through paypal, I always add a note: Please ship in a strong sturdy box to avoid crushing game box.

I also do this, and then on top of that I also directly message the seller through eBay's message system to let the seller know that I did send payment (kind of the courtesy move to grease the social wheels) and that I expect the item in question to be shipped boxed (and with padding) with a line like "As a video game fan and collector, the condition of everything - cartridge, manual, and box - is very important to me". Even if a seller has listed Priority Mail as the shipping option, and the USPS provides free cardboard boxes for mailing, I still do a double-barrel messaging of my shipping desires.

I think the lackluster packaging is, in some way, related to eBay finally clamping down on what sellers can charge to ship games, and so some sellers have a real "I don't give a sh*t" attitude when it comes to packaging.

If you did not specify how you wanted the games shipped when you paid I would disagree especially if he stated his shipping method in the auction. Just because you warned him "box your games" in one feedback doesn't mean he will remember especially if he sells a lot and it doesn't mean that the amount he charges for shipping would cover the cost. Also he did agree to refund you if you shipped the games back and replied quickly.

I'm sorry this happened but as USPS raises their rates to obscene levels people are going to do what they can to counter it and still keep their business so they can feed their families too. This is a sad lesson and a reminder for all of us to specify to sellers exactly what you want when you buy the items or better still to ask that question before you bid. Just because we know something is common sense doesn't mean that others would feel the same especially if it's just "another old game" to them.

But NO, while he may deserve a smack on the side of the head for lack of common sense I do NOT believe he deserves a Neg judging by your description of what happened. It would be easier to judge if you gave us a link to the auction.

When I send payment through paypal, I always add a note: Please ship in a strong sturdy box to avoid crushing game box. If it is mailed in a bubble envelope and game is crushed, I'll neg the seller.

Since you told him in your first feedback, neg him; otherwise they never learn. :evil: :dunce:

Right, I have to agree about the feedback. As much as this is a pet peeve of mine, if the item being shipped in a box wasn't worked out before hand, preferably before end of auction, but if not then, then at least agreed on final shipping costs boxed before payment, then you really don't have a legitimate reason to neg the seller. He/she is careless, but if it wasn't specified or worked out, then unfortunately, box/envelope is fair game. If you did agree or it was specified that it would be boxed, then neg him, no question.

Absolute lesson -- always agree on boxing the item for shipping beforehand, no exceptions.

EDIT: I do think you could possibly give a neutral, but I probably wouldn't. If there was never any mention of boxing them, give them a positive since everything else was right, and note in the feedback to "please box vintage game boxes for shipping" and remind them in an email as well. Hopefully at least this one will remember. If so, 1 down, 10,000++??? to go.

Edited by Mirage1972

I just got 2 games from a DP seller that were in bubble mailers. You would think that some one in the video collecting community would have enough brain cells to ship them in a box for protection. I have them unfolded and under about 70 pounds of weight to try and straighten them out some.

I tried to help:

Tips for sending packages: List your dos and don'ts

It could be a sticky or a moderator could compile the tips into an official sticky, then before an item is shipped, you can ask the seller to look at the dos and don'ts list first. If the seller still sends it in a flimsy pouch, that means he or she is an evil piece of garbage.

Indeed you did. Awesome thread especially for those "not in the know". :)

I tried to help:

Tips for sending packages: List your dos and don'ts

It could be a sticky or a moderator could compile the tips into an official sticky, then before an item is shipped, you can ask the seller to look at the dos and don'ts list first. If the seller still sends it in a flimsy pouch, that means he or she is an evil piece of garbage.

IMO, Exactly and because they did offer to refund you promptly.

So don't neg the seller because I did not tell him in advance that boxed games should be in a box?

Recently (yesterday) I started out right saying I ship in a box on boxed items, because in order to keep my shipping fee a flate rate 1lb rate (thanks to eBay stupidity) I have to put in 1lb flat rate envelope (box isnt and option yet) otherwise I have to enter a specific weight (that I don't know) or charge the cap of $4. So everyone was seeing it say "flat rate envelope" and writing me nasty little emails saying I shoulding ship a boxed game in an envelope. How the heck would a seller get 2,300+ 100% if they actually shipped in an envelope!? My $132 Lynx Lemmings from Germany even came in a bubble mailer, after requesting a box MANY times. You just can't control them, even if you want to. I have five Sega CD (cardboards) coming this week. I paid $12 shipping, and was VERY clear. If that isn't in a box I think my head will explode. Yeah, it is bad out there on eBay. Sadly, all you can do is ask.

AX

...but imo he also shouldn't say it was a negative experience either in this case from what we know.

I would agree with you if he had communicated what he wanted as far as shipping goes, if the seller didn't do what the auction stated or the item wasn't what was stated, or the seller didn't attempt to fix the situation.

If he didn't want to to do what the seller tried to do to the best of their abilities to fix the problem, (I probably would have offered to refund the amount of the item minus shipping myself) then how can the seller be faulted with a neg (other then being faulted off the books for lack of common sense)?

I think that if you're not satisfied with how the seller handled the transaction, then you don't have to say it was a positive experience. Period.

According to the law where I live... sellers are responsible to deliver an item in the condition it was advertised. No ifs, ands, or buts. It doesn't matter whether they live in the same state or not, they have to comply with the laws of the state of the buyer as well as their own state. Should it be necessary, a law suit can be filed in whichever state benefits the buyer the most.

As a way to prevent damage and all the paperwork required to file insurance claims, I pay for insurance and request items I purchase be packaged in compliance with the carrier's insurance requirements. If items aren't packed properly the carrier usually won't honor the insurance. To prevent that, I describe what I have been told by USPS and UPS is required and also what I have found works the best. I don't know what FEDEX or DHL or others require. There are many sellers out there who don't know how to properly package items or that the original packaging has any value to the buyer.

The worst case is a seller who just doesn't want or care to properly package items because they are concerned with turnover and getting as much profit as possible by selling large quantities of low cost items. They will often slap a label directly on an items box and ship it as is or expect you to be thankful if they took the time to wrap it in a piece of paper first even if it is crushed in the mail. I had one person send some cartridges in a box with no padding/peanuts/paper and thought they did me a favor by adding a free modem which crushed the carts.

One person who frequents this site complained, after the sale, about my packaging request, but that hasn't stopped me from requesting it, because I'd rather get what I pay for than a box of thrashed items.

If an ebay seller specifically states their shipping and packing methods in the auction and those methods are not sufficient to protect the item, including its original packaging, I have let the seller know and told them I am willing to pay the additional cost. If they say they won't provide proper packaging I don't bid or buy their item.

If I were a seller, I would refuse to ship any item without proper packaging because a buyer could accuse me of having shipped a broken item and get a refund thru their credit card or PAYPAL, who would pull the funds back from me. I also would properly pack it in case the item is returned for any other reason, so that it would be protected and I would have a better chance of selling it than if is packaging had been crushed.

From what I have been told by USPS & UPS to comply with their insurance and from my personal experience:

1. Only use bubble mailers as outside packaging for items that can be folded and not damaged, or items that are so strong that they can't be folded and you are only concerned with surface marring. Anything that can be crushed should be boxed.

2. Use strong cardboard boxes. (USPS priority boxes used to be fine, but IMO they aren't any more. It seems they have switched to flimsy boxes like I have received from overseas in the past.) Double layer cardboard for heavy items.

3. Double box items to protect the packaging. (USPS & UPS don't consider the packaging as insured unless they are double boxed.)

4. Individually wrap items in bubble-wrap. Use bubble-wrap appropriate to the item, (small bubbles for small items, large bubbles for large items, but any bubble-wrap is better than none)Don't use paper because it tears and the items can rub together and get damaged.

5. Place heaviest items on the bottom and mark the box fragile and this side up.

6. If you only use packing peanuts put items inside bags to keep parts of packing peanuts from getting inside the item. Completely fill the box with packing peanuts so that the items are surrounded and can't shift. Large inflatable bubble packs can work to help fill the space, but only use them near the top of the box and get the good ones. The cheap ones fail and items get ruined, especially if you put them on the bottom of a box (I don't know why anyone would, but that was why the last computer I received was damaged). Don't use shredded paper because it compresses and items shift and damage each other. Don't use broken pieces of Styrofoam, because it does not have much give and most pressure placed on the outside of the box will be transferred to the inside. I received an 810 archiver that was damaged because of this and the failure to wrap in bubble-wrap. Styrofoam is great for packing if it is made specifically for the item. In those cases it is usually molded to fit the item or at the corners or at most along the four edges including all eight corners of items. I have also received an UPS which came shipped in a box that had been filled with expanding foam in two separate bags and that worked great.

If you request and pay for cheap shipping and your item gets damaged don't complain to anyone about it! If the buyer request a lower grade shipping option and accepts the consequences then fine, but If I were the seller I would refuse to send the item without protecting it. I wouldn't want to get it back in worse shape then I sent it if I had to try and resell it.

7. Use disk and CD mailers at your own risk. I like the 10 disk Filp-File 5.25” to protect disks but putting them inside their own strong cardboard box inside the larger box is fine. Putting them between two pieces of cardboard can damage disks, but is better than nothing.

To answer your question…

It's best to work things out with the seller to get what you paid for, but if that fails...

You could give them a negative and shouldn't feel bad about it, or you could at least mark their shipping as a 1.

I look for low shipping ratings.

International shippers are the worse in this situation. They really think it is saving money by shipping in a bubble envelope when it will create more problems because the package sat under a 50 lb package all the way here from that country. Yeah it sucks but you gotta tell them before you pay otherwise they don't get the hint. It might cost a couple bucks more to get your way but that is what you gotta do. :(

OK, after thinking about it I was the one who did not warn him to box the games. Also he deals more with other things besides video games. The games themselves were not that expensive. I have seen loose go for more at times. He also was very responsive and cooperative, so I decided to let him off the hook, and give him positive feedback with a warning to box his boxed games in the feedback area.

Yup, I've had perfume in a glass bottle shipped in a bubble envelope as well. The package certainly was sweet but the contents weren't. And yes it was supposed to be shipped "securely and well packaged due to the fragile nature of the item". Haaa. Oh and CDs should always be shipped in a bubble envelope without even a jewel case too especially when a box was requested. :roll: It's why I for the most part stopped dealing with Ebay and buy something maybe once a year around Christmas? I've had better luck with Amazon however and haven't had a problem *yet* when it comes to non video game items. For video game stuff I stick to CTCW where most of the sellers are collectors and enthusiasts like us.

Off topic but I once had somebody send me an ornate 12" plate from EBay in a bubble envelope with no extra packing :(. It arrived in several pieces and they didn't believe me when I told them. :lol: So, its not just games you have to worry about.

That has got to be one of my greatest peeves as well.

Alas, I think ebay is only making it worse now.

I *only* ship USPS priority, bubble wrapped and peanuted as appropriate in PM boxes.

Sadly, ebay's max shipping charge for a game is $4, but 1 pound priority is $4.80.

Way too many bums out there that aren't willing to eat 80 cents if need be.

Grrrr

I've had plenty of games shipped to me in bubble mailers with no problems... except... those were cartridge-only games. At first I was skeptical, but they do survive with no problems whatsoever. Carts are sturdy, and when in a bubble mailer, are adequately protected. I was really suprised once, however, when I had purchased like 20 Sega Genesis cartridges, and I came home to find a very large bubble mailer, bashed into a shapeless bag, shoved to the back of my mailbox. When I opened it up and dumped out the cartridges - they were in perfect condition, no damage whatsoever. Now, that's not to say a great big bubble mailer is a good way to mail a pile of loose carts with no packing material whatsoever, but, hey - it worked.

But I honestly can't understand the mental state someone would have to be in to ship a boxed game in a bubble mailer. It doesn't make any sense! There's virtually no way that it's going to survive without getting crushed. A cartridge alone is strong, heavy plastic. But the boxes are thin, flimsy cardboard. They need more protection than a bubble mailer. It has nothing to do with video games - it has everything to do with basic, common sense. Any object you ship, be it a video game, a nicknack, whatever, must be adequately protected by it's packaging to survive it's journey though the postal system.

Unfortunately, common sense is a bit of a rare commodity these days. Perhaps one could make a business selling common sense on eBay...

-Ian

The only way to protect yourself in these situations is to ask the seller IN ADVANCE if he/she will ship a boxed game (or games) in a box. This won't allow you to bid on any last minute items you see (and perhaps great BIN deals), but you'll be taking less of a gamble that your games will arrive crushed.

Unfortunately, common sense is a bit of a rare commodity these days. Perhaps one could make a business selling common sense on eBay...

People are too cheap to buy it. Even when you give common sense away (as we are doing here), people will resist it.

..Al

Some single carts survive in a bubble mailer but some carts don't. From my experience as a buyer, as long as there is no box and or jewel case most N64/NES/SNES/GBA/NDS, Sega Genesis/SMS/GG, Arari 2600/7800/5200/Jagur/Lynx/A8 Atari brand carts are pretty strong and made with plastic that isn't brittle.

Some carts made by vendors don't often fair as well: the clear plastic cases are the worst... i.e. : Game Boy Color, red A8 Synapse, other carts like some A8 Parer Borthers and ICD don't always make it without damage.

But putting more than one cart in a bubble mailer is asking for trouble. Label damage at least if not a cracked cart.

What many sellers don't realize is that you can ship a few carts for under $4 priority and insured if you use your own small box in stead of the flat-rate box.

There are sellers who list their boxed carts with shipping in the USPS Priority flat rate envelope, not even a bubble-mailer!

Even though most games are pretty tough, bubble mailers and envelopes aren't good enough packaging if it's damaged and you file an insurance claim from USPS or UPS. They will say it wasn't properly packaged and deny your claim.

I have had the worst luck with getting stuff in envelopes, Some I have even offered to pay extra for better protection...paid and still go a envelope with maybe bubble wrap. Only 1 of these I will forgive because the sellers wife mailed it after being told the right way, and they did compinsate for damages...Let me list afew of my worst that were original Mint/Near Mint and can as crap/Near Crap.

SkyHammer Jaguar...Crushed Side..

Contra Hard Corps & Castlevania Bloodlines Cardboard box versions Genesis....Boxes Molded around Cartridge...

Dig Dug Intellivision...the top look as is it got stepped on and split...was wrapped & taped inprinter paper as the mailer.

Protector SE Jaguar...Smashed side of the box...Seller compinsated see above*

Towers II Jaguar....Totally crushed, you wouldnt beleive its the same from the pic the seller had...

Phantasy Star 4 Geneisi...yellow envelope..wrote so hard with the pen on the envelope that you can read my address on the box.

Those are few of my more expensive..piss me offs.