IGNORED

VBXE 2

candle

uhm :)

in BMP You have RGBRGBRGBRGB and so on through alll 256 entries

in format i'm using You have RRRRRRRRRRRRRR...RGGGGGGGGGGGG...GBBBBBBBB...B so You can make neat small loop to get them loaded into VBXE, so fades, or patette rotation can be done really fast

• 2 weeks later...

first panel done in 90%, second one in 70% - it will take a bit more time...

i had some "real life" work over my head i wasn't able to continue the assembly, but the job is done, and i'm back into atari business

hope all of You are not getting anxious

panels.jpg

ps. its 4:13 a.m and i've been working for 17 hours non stop, firstly to get things in way done, so i could focus on vbxe, and then on vbxe - hope you all understand

Edited by candle
  • Like 1

first panel done in 90%, second one in 70% - it will take a bit more time...

i had some "real life" work over my head i wasn't able to continue the assembly, but the job is done, and i'm back into atari business

hope all of You are not getting anxious

panels.jpg

ps. its 4:13 a.m and i've been working for 17 hours non stop, firstly to get things in way done, so i could focus on vbxe, and then on vbxe - hope you all understand

I think everybody is fine with it....we know its very time consuming work.

Now I have ordered one of the extras. I am wondering what game projects can we look forward to? I know someone has a night driver game in development. I mentioned the ideal of doing a better Guantlet/Dark Chambers type game. Combining with Color Map on top of Antic 4, VBXE Sprites, and digital sounds, it could come very close to the Arcade version.

depends if antic is on or off and in what mode it operates

blitter takes all spare cycles not used by other parts of vbxe, and most important of those parts is the one responsible for gtia emulation - thus - no antic video results in faster system

if you want, i can run some tests - just provide sources for it

another thing - vbxe boards will be shipped out in order of activities - eg thelen here does something, as few other people i know of - so they will receive their boards faster ;)

i think it will be good, since if someone is just for games, and wants vbxe, then when he receive his own, games might be already on "market"

What is the latest with the construction of these boards? I have a soldering iron now, but no desoldering pump, still trying to locate a store that sells them near me. Looking at the VBXE2 boards, I am wondering where the ANTIC chip plugs in? Does the ANTIC chip remain onboard? If thats the case, it would make installation much simpler. I've been trying to read back through this thread for details. However, I would have to look at the complete installation instructions.

I now know I have to get a RGB converter to s-video/composite device also since I only have a NTSC tv and VGA monitors. I use the VGA monitor for my PC, so the Atari will be hooked to the TV.

this is adapter for antic that goes into XL series (for 1200XL its separate one, but the general idea stays the same)

HPIM2261.JPG

and as far as NTSC VBXE is concerned, You can buy yourself GBS-8220 converter (i've bought some on eBay for 34$)

they are useless for PAL version - don't ask me why - chinese manufacturer is not verry supportive, but NTSC version works just fine!

HPIM2262.JPG

i've posted this info in separate thread some time ago so we as community could email support guy from china and make him to get this problem solved, but... noone seemd interested

this is adapter for antic that goes into XL series (for 1200XL its separate one, but the general idea stays the same)

and as far as NTSC VBXE is concerned, You can buy yourself GBS-8220 converter (i've bought some on eBay for 34$)

they are useless for PAL version - don't ask me why - chinese manufacturer is not verry supportive, but NTSC version works just fine!

i've posted this info in separate thread some time ago so we as community could email support guy from china and make him to get this problem solved, but... noone seemd interested

I did a search on ebay for that specific partno, but none are available right now. Found some for $90. Going back through this thread, found this http://jrok.com/hardware/RGB.html at the top of page 4, for like $65 that probably can be mounted inside my 130XE. Do you have a link to this seller? I would be interested in buying one.

Edited by peteym5

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to convert a 16bit or 24bit BMP image to a 8bit image with a standardized palette? I am using Paint Shop Pro 9 and when I convert to a 8bit .BMP image, it creates an optimized palette. If we were to load it several .bmps for a game with different palettes, would that not create problems.

If no one knows of a solution, maybe I can try making a Visual Basic Program that can convert to a standard 256 color palette. Maybe VBXEs default or something similar to that of the Atari.

if your program is going to put those on display in sequence - there is no need for standarized palette

if you're going to have them on screen at once - you should use common pallette for them all

don't know for paint shop pro, but under photoshop you can load any act file as pallette and photoshop will remap colors in the picture

you might also do the conversion to standard windows/mackintosh pallette, and this will give you common palette for all those pictures

hope this helps

In Gimp (2.6) you can change the image mode to "indexed" and then choose any palette (with dither and removing the unused colors if you want), like the "laoo" palette..

Also, ImageMagick is your friend: (a command line tool)

http://www.imagemagick.org

With it you can use any image as the palette! (and do like a billion other things).

Regards.

I have looked at Gimp a few days ago and created something similar to the Atari 8-Bit Palette, but could not find the option to save as a 8-bit bitmap. I was about to write my own conversion/stripping utility to just save the raw data for the image, removing any headers. Only thing I am not sure about is how to find the best match for RGB values. Thankyou for all the information about ImageMagic & Photoshop. It will help us save lots of time for making future games.

Edited by peteym5

I have looked at Gimp a few days ago and created something similar to the Atari 8-Bit Palette, but could not find the option to save as a 8-bit bitmap. I was about to write my own conversion/stripping utility to just save the raw data for the image, removing any headers. Only thing I am not sure about is how to find the best match for RGB values. Thankyou for all the information about ImageMagic & Photoshop. It will help us save lots of time for making future games.

Just got to Image->Mode and chose indexed. You can set the number of colours in there, max 256. There are various options for matching palettes/dithering etc if you want to but just turn off the extras if you just want your image saved as is. That should give you what you want if you save in an 8bit compatible format.

Pete

Can we have cable building info for LCD TVs?

Here is SCART connector pinout :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART

For proper operation you must connect:

- Ground from ATARI to SCART pins 4,5,9,13 and 18

- R component from ATARI to SCART pin 15

- G component from ATARI to SCART pin 11

- B component from ATARI to SCART pin 7

- "RGB Control" signal from ATARI to SCART pin 16 (switches TV to RGB input mode)

- Composite Video (CVBS) from ATARI to SCART pin 20 (as SYNC source in TV RGB mode)

Optionally you can connect audio from atari to SCART pins 2 and 6.

R, G, B and "RGB control" signals are provided by the VBXE board.

Composite video is standard atari signal.

Of course you have to switch TV to one of "external" inputs as signal source.

BTW - we still can't get the NTSC core done since noone send us (me or electron) "right" .ACT file

please do

palette can be modified in any time by programmer, but we have to get something by default

and NTSC palette differs form PAL one

VBXE Core recompilation can take up to 1.5hrs, so it would be good, if the one you send will be widely accepted - it will save a lot of electron's time ;)

I am trying those palettes, looks pretty close. Don't see much difference between PAL & NTSC.

I do see that the palettes can be modified. Just if we end up dealing with lots of different .bmp files we want to use as sprite and animation strips, it may be easier if there was to use a common palette.