IGNORED

VBXE 2

candle

• 3 weeks later...

Uff, i assembly homemade KMK/Idea to load and play this video ,don't tell me: "Myide is enough for it".Compare KMK/Idea with 16 partition's 32 MB each , 512 bytes/sector and Myide? Tales from the crypt. icon_mrgreen.gif

Groan... I was just waiting for this... Well, I wouldn't say you wasted your time making the KMK/IDEa, since it's undoubtedly an excellent interface. But if you look at the MyIDE driver topic, you'll see that MyIDE is more than adequate:

• 62KB/s DOS reads
  • 58KB/s DOS writes
  • 512 bytes/sector
  • up to 15 x 32MB partitions
  • Native LBA sector addressing
  • FDISK partitioning app with drop down menu interface, support for S_VBXE driver, ability to reassign drive letters on the fly, create non-linear partitions, etc, etc.
  • Compatibility with Hias's forthcoming LBA MyIDETool, allowing easy transfer of HDD data to and from the PC, conversion of HDD partitions to ATR disk images, etc, etc.

The performance is slightly better than my KMK/IDEa; writes are considerably faster. I can watch this video at 9FPS using an external MyIDE interface and the driver I have constructed. I realize MyIDE is regarded as the "poor relation" of Black Box, Multi I/O and IDEa, but in reality - with the right software - it is probably the fastest HDD interface on the market. Sure; it's not PBI compliant and you can't read partitions using the OS SIO vector, but try reading a 512 bytes/sector partition with IDEa using the OS SIO vector.

In addition, the fact that the KMK/IDEa interface I just paid 50GBP for causes all my XEs (modified and otherwise) to lock up hardly makes me inclined to rubbish MyIDE. In fact, coupled with the beta SDX driver which I've spent a month working on, it's the fastest and most convenient hard disk interface currently available for the Atari. I reiterate: it's as good as KMK/IDEa in every respect which matters.

On what research/assumptions are you basing your conclusions? I will upload a video of the same movie playing through the same player via the MyIDE interface tomorrow if it will prove illuminating. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat

I stand corrected: MyIDE + SDX driver could only manage a paltry 10.16 fps compared KMK/IDEa's 10.61:

Of course KMK is heavily optimised for sequential reads. icon_smile.gif

Using the standard DOS COPY command, copying the 8,248 KB (8.248 MB) JEALOUSY.VX video file from the 512bps partition C: to a 256bps partition on the same card took 6 minutes 6 seconds. Copying the same file from C: to another 512bps partition took 5 minutes 25 seconds.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Zaxon, this movie of Yours should have epilepsy warrning sign at the beggining!

Apart from this I'm finally starting with VBXE shipments - sorry its taking so damn long, but i had verry little time for past few months

Sebastian

That's what maried life and owning a flat will do to you :)

Candle,

did you get my PM about VBXE 2?

thanks,

Francisco

no, its interpretes antic codes sent to gtia, and emulates its output (real gtia still intact on motherboard) and adds so called "overlay mode" where you have up to 1024 colors in 320x200 resolution, and up to 64 colors in 640x200, or 640x400 using Rybags intrelace

It has its own display list called XDL, and Blitter (like Atari STE), but more powerfull, that operate on its internal RAM, so any number of sprites can be drawn at any size (for example 256 pixels wide, and 200 pixels tall giant sprite)

The Antic You can see on pictures of VBXE is the only one in this Atari

The heart of VBXE card is Altera ACEX FPGA chip, which can be reprogrammed in realtime by programmer to enable this card to render textured triangles if You want, or have bitplanes like Atari ST or Amiga

currently, there is only FX core available (still can't spell that word correctly) and fufll specification for it You can find in my post at the beggining of this thread

possibilities of utilising its powers are infinite, just use Your imagination

I'm checking my PM every day, and even if not, then all of my PM messages are getting into my email account directly, and this one I have almost constantly open

so do not worry - all messages are respond to, or at least actions based on these messages are taken

Cheers,

Sebastian

ps.

I'm still missing few addresses:

IronWorks

Ghost...

dl7ukk