IGNORED

VBXE 2

candle

28 MHz crystal is needed due to the scan-doubling.

And the revised Core for VGA produces the 31 KHz Sync signals - that has to be the case because the Atari only generates them at half that rate.

AFAIK, there is soldering involved to tap this new Sync signal from the VBXE board, then you use that instead of the one from the motherboard.

should be allright now

as for VGA:

two ways:

one - limit yourself to GTIA emulation with VGA ouput:

- cut pin RDY on VBXE adapter board header (pin #15 - mind your counting - dip style should be used)

- place a wire from pin #15 on VBXE board to HSYNC and VSYNC (some monitors won't work with just HSYNC connected) pin on VGA connector

- wire rest of VGA connector according to J4 specs

- load GTIA VGA core for 14MHz crystal

- tap Yourself on the back - job done

two - use limited FX core (limited to 2 palettes - one for GTIA, another one for overlay)

- proceed as in method one

- replace 14Mhz crystal with 2 times faster one

- load VGA FX core

- tap Yourself on the back - job done

where are VGA cores?

In new VBXE pack

Where is new VBXE pack?

It's not released as yet - any input to programmer's examples section will be apreciated and considerably speed up release (ie as within few days starting from when i actually receive something)

here is how it looks like in Orpheuswalking board:

HPIM2870.JPG

hope that clear now

Wasn't "wank" an unknown word in the US until Married With Children introduced it?

Dunno. I don't remember hearing it on MWC... The Internet seems to have been the primary factor in spreading it.

On a largely unrelated note, "frack" seems to be gradually cropping up more often. Maybe ratings and cultural relevance really are two different things. ;) That, or there was just an untapped need for an obscenity that isn't considered obscene yet.

Wouldn't know... I grew up in the UK, I do know that it's become very popular in my circle of friends here in the US since I moved here.

I take it you mean the word. icon_smile.gif

Of course I meant tew word... I'm sure it's practice was already widely in use...

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread

Thanks Rybags and candle,

Now if I can get the resurrection ship in range I'll bring my 800xl (botched memory upgrade) back to life. All I did was try to install a 256k ram and a meg-haus stereo pokey upgrade at the same time. Nothing to it. icon_lol.gif I swear I was folllowing the wiring diagram.

ummm now where does this wire go to? The power suppy.... icon_question.gif Okay......ZZZZZZZZZit d'oh icon_surprised.gif

• 3 weeks later...

So for those of us who are, as Bob1200XL put it, "dangerous with a soldering iron" are there any prospects for something like this becoming an external unit? Or no, because the 65XEs and XEGS lack the ECI slots?

Cannot be an external unit - required signals are not present externally on any Atari.

So for those of us who are, as Bob1200XL put it, "dangerous with a soldering iron" are there any prospects for something like this becoming an external unit? Or no, because the 65XEs and XEGS lack the ECI slots?

Cannot be an external unit - required signals are not present externally on any Atari.

Okay. Thanks. Anybody selling XE units with the VBXE built in yet then? :)

If Bob is dangerous then I should be considered a clear and present danger. I just met Bob. Great guy and I think he was being modest about his soldering skills. To be honest I just picked up the iron not six months ago and I still have both eyes and none of my skin gas been burned off. You should be fine. I am practicing up for the big VBXE 2 install on my 600xl.

Candle has put together a wonderful soldering tutorial. Best tip is to keep the soldering tip clean.

Edited by rchennau

If Bob is dangerous then I should be considered a clear and present danger. I just met Bob. Great guy and I think he was being modest about his soldering skills. To be honest I just picked up the iron not six months ago and I still have both eyes and none of my skin gas been burned off. You should be fine. I am practicing up for the big VBXE 2 install on my 600xl.

Candle has put together a wonderful soldering tutorial. Best tip is to keep the soldering tip clean.

Just to clarify for the record, Bob wasn't saying that about himself, he was describing others of us who have admitted (and I am one of them) that our soldering skills aren't really up to snuff.

• 2 weeks later...