IGNORED

VBXE 2

candle

Drac030 has written S: handler for 80 column mode, there is CP/M terminal emulator basing on this handler written by Trub

If You limit Yourself to composite video, the You'll see only output from real GTIA chip, VBXE is capable ONLY of RGB output, and yes - it does mean that You may use Atari sc1224 with Your XE. VBXE is transparent to any other expansions, especially PBI devices

Using composite output with 640x200 display, or 80 chars text mode would be quite useless, as video bandwidth in that mode is verry limited, it also would add some complexity and cost to VBXE board, and its already highly packed tiny board with components on top and bottom side

Drac030 has written S: handler for 80 column mode, there is CP/M terminal emulator basing on this handler written by Trub

Cool! I read a little about the CP/M terminal, but didn't see much mention about the S: handler. I've got an Indus that I'm thinking I might want to add a little memory to..... :)

If You limit Yourself to composite video, the You'll see only output from real GTIA chip, VBXE is capable ONLY of RGB output, and yes - it does mean that You may use Atari sc1224 with Your XE. VBXE is transparent to any other expansions, especially PBI devices

Using composite output with 640x200 display, or 80 chars text mode would be quite useless, as video bandwidth in that mode is verry limited, it also would add some complexity and cost to VBXE board, and its already highly packed tiny board with components on top and bottom side

Time to start looking for a SC1224 I guess, I think the VBXE might make the 8-bit a better computer than the ST :) So it sounds like the GTIA is still present in the computer still providing the composite output. I know that it would be useless for higher res [though I was surprised that my a1000's composite out gave a nice 80 column screen] just wondering if output went both ways. So is it safe to assume that the RGB output shows 100% of what the GTIA does plus the new features? I'd be interested in one or two depending on the cost (and assuming NTSC isn't a problem).

I wonder if there is need for another production run of VBXE graphics adapter for 8 bit atari

Although names says XE it can be used in any atari having ANTIC/GTIA and FREDDY chips on board

for FREDDY-less machines clock divider must me used

I want at least one!

It sounds like a very interesting upgrade. From what I understand ANTIC/GTIA graphics is combined with the VBXE graphics but it is not clear to me how the graphics is combined.

Is the video output of the GTIA chip combined with the VBXE video output?

Or is the GTIA chip shadowed/emulated in the VBXE boards and is the ANTIC output processed by the VBXE board and combined with the VBXE video output?

- ANTIC chip is located on board in DIP2IDC connector adapter, so vbxe can be removed in any point of time - no soldering required

What is a DIP2IDC connector? Does it mean you have to de-solder the ANTIC chip first or is it put on top of the ANTIC?

Robert

StaxX28: check clearance with board dimension (in first post) it mounts on offset, so IDC connector (2 rows of pins on picture) is located next to antic

rdemming: As You propably know, ANTIC and GTIA have their own internal bus (AN0 to AN2) and VBXE listen to that bus and do what its told to do as it was the GTIA, this bus is 4 times slower than VBXE internal bus, so VBXE has plenty of time to do its own stuff

If You don't have the ANTIC chip socketed, then You have to socket it using precise type socket, DIP2IDC adapter is small board with socket and IDC female header where You plug in VBXE - there is no other way around this

didn't see much mention about the S: handler.

The S: handler is required by the terminal, so if you're going to play with Indus CP/M, you'll hear about the S: handler sooner or later ;) Btw. I posted some pics generated by Turbo BASIC XL using this handler, and zaxon's film posted here also uses that one.

This is basically a toy that allows you to open one of the new modes and draw in 256 colors using standard BASIC commands (like PLOT, DRAWTO, and FILLTO, CIRCLE in TBXL). Currently I am working on a real E: device handler, so that you can use 80-column screen editor to write programs in BASIC, as a DOS console etc.

For the DIP adapter is something like this is what is meant, or is it something more complicated? Forgive me, but this is far outside my knowledge. I'm willing to make the effort, somehow I will put this together..... ; )

post-3306-1239807772_thumb.jpg

Edited by AtariNerd

For the DIP adapter is something like this is what is meant, or is it something more complicated? Forgive me, but this is far outside my knowledge. I'm willing to make the effort, somehow I will put this together..... ; )

I believe it is more like the connector/adapter on the left of the picture below. In the adapter you will put a band cable and press the two halfs together to fix the cable. The band cable will go to the VBXE board. Then you remove the ANTIC and plug this thing in the ANTIC socket. Finally you put the ANTIC on top of the connector/adapter.

Robert

a0005284.jpg

I believe it is more like the connector/adapter on the left of the picture below. In the adapter you will put a band cable and press the two halfs together to fix the cable. The band cable will go to the VBXE board. Then you remove the ANTIC and plug this thing in the ANTIC socket. Finally you put the ANTIC on top of the connector/adapter.

Robert

a0005284.jpg

Right or wrong in this instance, it seems like a useful way to modify our boards, making them more flexible for repair or modified use. I had a similar idea today. ;)

Edited by AtariNerd

sorry for double post :/

anyway commodore 1084 or philips 83something-ii are perfectly capable of displaying vbxe signals, but i'm using lcd tv with scart cable.

Component RGB is much more common in the US. Would you expect that it would work with it?

-Larry

It's different to RGB.

YPbPr contains the luma (Y) and Blue/Red differentials. RGB contains the individual colours without alteration.

But, some equipment allows the use of either signal type and can be selected via menu. e.g. one of my DTV boxes has SCART out and you can select whether it sends YPbPr or RGB.

Unfortunately, direct RGB, the SCART variants (well VGA is not too uncommon on older equiptment), etc never really caught on in NA, except for a few high-end manufacturers. He'll likely need a VGA/ RGB to Component converter.

Just realized I've been here for six years.. and what do I have to show for it? :P

Edited by AtariNerd

fortunatly, rgb to ybpbr conversion is not that complicated

but sorry to hear that, as You're using same chips inside Your tv sets as european folks, and not having those connection outside is really worrying

here even worst Crap from china has scart with rgb connected, and ypbpr signals are on a bit higher class equipemnt - a bit only, because most new lcd/pdp panels i've seen has one, even if this is 20" low res (like 640x480 or 800x600) 4:3 low end lcd it might have ypbpr inputs integrated in scart

don't worry though

there is RGB to VGA adapter in plans, and all needed signals will be provided to convert RGB into something else (composite, s-video, or ypbpr)

fortunatly, rgb to ybpbr conversion is not that complicated

but sorry to hear that, as You're using same chips inside Your tv sets as european folks, and not having those connection outside is really worrying

here even worst Crap from china has scart with rgb connected, and ypbpr signals are on a bit higher class equipemnt - a bit only, because most new lcd/pdp panels i've seen has one, even if this is 20" low res (like 640x480 or 800x600) 4:3 low end lcd it might have ypbpr inputs integrated in scart

don't worry though

there is RGB to VGA adapter in plans, and all needed signals will be provided to convert RGB into something else (composite, s-video, or ypbpr)

Thanks, Candle!

-Larry