IGNORED

Season 2 5200 HSC Round 5 *Wizard Of Wor*

darthkur

1) the first four levels you can wander about and hunt monsters, after that, good to bunker in as soon as you can.

2) I died the most to those monster appearing practically right next to me when they came in. When you bunker in, watch the radar but just keep firing. (Never know when one will appear and if you are shooting one direction in the bunker, that takes care of 50% of the ways they can get you.

3) Once a monster fires at you, you have two choices, move out of the way of the fire, or kill the monster, which stops a shot in motion. Odd to me, but hey.. anyway, most often monsters will fire, and then vere off, be careful of that.

4) The Worlock is not that big a problem, just approach with guns blazing from a cautious distance.

5) The Wizard of Wor is one that I believe is programmed to appear BEHIND you. When he disappears, throw a shot behind you real quick. Amazing how many times that works.

6) The Pit at level 13 is the screen you save up your lives for. I generally try to work from the bottom corner. Open to suggestions.

Terrific score doctorclu!! You are truly one of the "Masters of the Maze!!"

Thanks for the compliments. :) I love Wizard of Wor, played it MANY times on the Atari 800. My comment, I think equipment plays a big factor now that I think about it. If you are using stock 5200 controllers this is probably pretty tough. I should try it with the Wico sticks. The 7800 sticks I used were awesome.

Anyway guys, entrench, let them come to you, see how that works.

Does anybody know what triggers the Wizard to appear? Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't.

Today I played a game where I was cutting through level after level. I think I scared the Wizard. Didn't see him for like eight levels straight. I am starting to wonder the formula for getting him to appear myself.

I just gave this a shot (No, I didn't - keep reading!) on my Latitude, using Atari800Win Plus. I'm at a brickwall, and I figured I'd see if I managed to improve my score when using a CX-40 and an emulator, instead of the stock controllers on the big old 5200.

With the CX-40 plugged in to a Stelladaptor, I can't manage to play the game. I configured a800Win+ to read the controller in port 2, and can move, but I cannot fire. In Windows control panel, game controllers, the fire button tests perfectly fine.

Those of you playing this in an emulator, how are you doing it?

Thanks

I just gave this a shot (No, I didn't - keep reading!) on my Latitude, using Atari800Win Plus. I'm at a brickwall, and I figured I'd see if I managed to improve my score when using a CX-40 and an emulator, instead of the stock controllers on the big old 5200.

With the CX-40 plugged in to a Stelladaptor, I can't manage to play the game. I configured a800Win+ to read the controller in port 2, and can move, but I cannot fire. In Windows control panel, game controllers, the fire button tests perfectly fine.

Those of you playing this in an emulator, how are you doing it?

Thanks

what i do is use "xpadder" to map my joystick buttons to the keyboard commands

My 5200 isn't working (controller issues with the port I guess) so I'm playing these HSC games on A800win too. My kid has our Logitech in his room somewhere, so believe it or not I'm using the arrow keys and CTRL to fire.

What's not working? When I DID bother with a 5200 controller I would take it apart, clean the contacts with a pencil eraser and put it back together.

Mind you the last time I took a 5200 controller apart I gave up getting it back together. :) But the first three times went well.

When I was playing Joust during that HSC, I suddenly couldn't go right or left. I switched to two other 5200 stock controllers and same thing. Something internal to the machine is messed up, I think. My 5200 is in bad shape mind you - I need a new one. If I find a beautiful looking 5200 somewhere for a fair price, I'm picking it up.

Welcome Atari_envy!

Dang, No Autofire in this version

You know there has to be a way to get autofire on the 5200. Certainly some hack was made.

I can say that the 7800 controller adaptor I use allows me to use a 7800 stick I have from Best Electronics that has a autofire switch. So just to let you know it is possible.

I normally don't participate (because I am not very good at any one video game). But I recently got this one and it is one of my favorites for the 5200 and 2600.

Being an expert at any of these is not a requirement. It's all for fun after all. Nice to have you aboard.

Welcome Atari_envy!

Dang, No Autofire in this version

You know there has to be a way to get autofire on the 5200. Certainly some hack was made.

I can say that the 7800 controller adaptor I use allows me to use a 7800 stick I have from Best Electronics that has a autofire switch. So just to let you know it is possible.

I'm sure that they could make this game better with option Autofire and plus use all 4 fire buttons on the 5200 controller. Oh well maybe someday it will :roll:

AtariEnvy - don't worry about not being "great." We need more average players like myself :-). Honestly, it is about finding time to enjoy your collection and really play games that you may have overlooked (or never played).

Exactly!!