IGNORED

Well my parents finally threatened to take my games away

Just in case, I should PM your dad my address so I can buy any of that classic gaming goodness before he throws it all out. :twisted: :P

lol!! thats cold bro :)

Actually I'd rather have it go into the hands of a collector than one of those crazy old ladies who smell like cat piss that garbage pic TVs in a 97' Chrysler Minivan.

Ok, I went the college route and work at a desk writing code and doing research. But having said that...

Not everyone HAS to go to college. There is still room in the world for people in the trades. You can learn a trade and make a "good enough" living for yourself working for someone else, or if you're really dedicated and determined, you can start your own business and really take off.

No use getting yourself tens of thousands of dollars in debt if you don't want a full liberal arts education.

But yeah you really should graduate HS. All kinds of slacker dummies get diplomas so you look really, really bad if you don't.

You said yourself that you're intelligent: don't waste your opportunity to do something with that intelligence. In my mid-forties now, I can tell you that learning new things requires more effort as you age. Take the lazy way out and jam as much as you can into your brain now while its easy. :D

You can get up and get to school. You can do your school work. You can learn. You can bring your grades up. You can go to college and get an education that will make life easier down the road. You can sit through classes that seem like pointless wastes of time and realize later that they actually were valuable. You can do those things you said you can't do.

Education ain't always easy but you are worth the effort.

Edited by BigO

Lots of great advice in this thread. The only thing I can add is that while, yes, high school is mostly make-work, undergraduate school can actually be useful if you pick your classes well. Everyone should know micro- and macro-economics, for example, so you don't get bamboozled by businessmen and politicians. Same for basic accounting and history. You really can't go wrong taking history classes, since as Mark Twain said, "History doesn't repeat, but it does rhyme." You'll be amazed at what a huge advantage knowing history -- even recent history -- will give you over most people when it comes to understanding what's going on in the world and seeing through the media's distortions. And language arts -- well, speech classes will teach you very useful skills, as will just about any writing class.

And math. Take lots of math courses. Math is one of those things that is a huge differentiator between people (as with history). So is understanding science, the scientific method, applications of science, and its limits. Also, statistics. That's a big one, too.

And then taking some courses to help round out your general knowledge and make you more interesting at parties (and to potential mates!) is good as well. I chose women's studies one quarter, for example, and that worked out extremely well. I even learned a few things. :)

So, while school may seem like bullshit, it doesn't have to be. High school is mostly bullshit because it's controlled by people on the school board and parents in the community who probably don't understand education or the purpose of education. But once you get to college, it's much more in your own hands. Take the opportunity to give yourself advantages that most people don't have.

But before you can get to that point, you have to make it through high school. So put up with the bullshit for a little while longer. It'll pay off big in the end. :)

Edited by Ransom

Lots of great advice in this thread. The only thing I can add is that while, yes, high school is mostly make-work, undergraduate school can actually be useful if you pick your classes well. Everyone should know micro- and macro-economics, for example, so you don't get bamboozled by businessmen and politicians. Same for basic accounting and history. You really can't go wrong taking history classes, since as Mark Twain said, "History doesn't repeat, but it does rhyme." You'll be amazed at what a huge advantage knowing history -- even recent history -- will give you over most people when it comes to understanding what's going on in the world and seeing through the media's distortions. And language arts -- well, speech classes will teach you very useful skills, as will just about any writing class.

And math. Take lots of math courses. Math is one of those things that is a huge differentiator between people (as with history). So is understanding science, the scientific method, applications of science, and its limits. Also, statistics. That's a big one, too.

And then taking some courses to help round out your general knowledge and make you more interesting at parties (and to potential mates!) is good as well. I chose women's studies one quarter, for example, and that worked out extremely well. I even learned a few things. :)

So, while school may seem like bullshit, it doesn't have to be. High school is mostly bullshit because it's controlled by people on the school board and parents in the community who probably don't understand education or the purpose of education. But once you get to college, it's much more in your own hands. Take the opportunity to give yourself advantages that most people don't have.

But before you can get to that point, you have to make it through high school. So put up with the bullshit for a little while longer. It'll pay off big in the end. :)

I loved science. I got straight A's in science. I was one of about 50 kids in the state that got 100% on the Chemistry Regents. I also loved history....until I had to deal with American History where my teacher was obsessed about Bush. Bush this, Bush that. If I'd have known better, he was Michael Moore in disguise.

Just in case, I should PM your dad my address so I can buy any of that classic gaming goodness before he throws it all out. :twisted: :P

lol!! thats cold bro :)

Actually I'd rather have it go into the hands of a collector than one of those crazy old ladies who smell like cat piss that garbage pic TVs in a 97' Chrysler Minivan.

This way I can hang onto it for you until the heat dies down. :D

I loved science. I got straight A's in science. I was one of about 50 kids in the state that got 100% on the Chemistry Regents. I also loved history....until I had to deal with American History where my teacher was obsessed about Bush. Bush this, Bush that. If I'd have known better, he was Michael Moore in disguise.

That's great to hear that you loved science and history! That'll serve you well.

As for the teacher with a strange obsession, sadly, that's something you likely won't get away from in college. It'll probably just get worse. But if you learn to deal with it, and get around it, you'll have another very useful skill. Because there will always be imperfect people in your life from whom you need to get something -- information, cooperation, whatever -- and if you know how to deal with them, it'll make your life easier.

I remember one late-middle-aged professor I had who literally foamed at the mouth. As he was talking, spittle would collect at the corner of his mouth, until finally the bubbly stuff would start to fly out as he spoke, striking the students in the first couple of rows as he strode back and forth. It was just disgusting. He also liked to go off on irrelevant tangents and waste half the class time talking about whatever the hell was in his mind that day, whether it related to the subject or not. I can still see him up there, his face red, eyes rolling, spittle flying. He looked like a lunatic.

I quickly learned to sit near the back of the classroom. :) I studied the course materials, and tried to figure him out. Eventually I understood where he was coming from and what he thought was important, and was able to give him the output that he would give a high score. And since he was teaching a core course for me, I also took the time to learn what I thought was important, using the books and other materials I'd had to buy for the class. So I kind of had to spend twice the time on his course, but it worked out well in the end. I took a couple other courses with him in my college career, and actually ended up getting to know him and found out he was a decent -- tho eccentric -- human being. He helped me get going in my career, and imparted some wisdom to me as well.

The last course I had with him, I showed up the first day and he told us all to pick a project, do the work, and hand it in at the end of the quarter. No need to come to class, as there would be no lecture for this senior-year course. We were expected to do it all on our own. I learned a ton in that course, and he was always available to talk to when I ran into a road block. A truly great person to know.

I'm always glad I didn't run away from that first year course with him, or tune him out.

Sorry, that was probably irrelevant, but at least I didn't get any spit on you. ;)

Edited by Ransom

That's one of the things I don't mind doing.

not everyone needs an education, I do need someone to change my oil so I don't have to...

LOL Reaperman, I was thinking similar. Might think he's ig enough to be a smart ass but he's not too old for being shipped away to boarding school. He's also old enough for mom or dad to go to court and say hey my kid pays his own way, I'm signing off on him and he can go do his own thing and do what he wants somewhere else.

That was dad's rule - you don't like it, you don't have to live here.

A lot of people had a lot of good advice.

I'll also add if you were my kid the 360 would have been gone and at the rate you were going and the comp would be too especially after mouthing off like that. You can go to the library and use that one there. House rules always overrule just remember that.

It doesn't matter whether you buy your own toys there's paying mortgage or taxes, electric/gas, groceries, phone etc. Those things are privaledges and not rights.

It's one thing to have difficulty with classes and get low grades but still try and another to be lazy and bored. My dad said if I got honors through I could have $250 when I graduated. Darn right I wanted to collect, lol. But, he always told me that "the reward of doing well and showing intelligence should be a reward in itself because anyone can be stupid. Studying as will planning and preparing for your future will serve you for the rest of your life."

It's also about respect. Everything they did for you and the fact that they are your parents should be enough.

Btw, My grandmother although 5'1 belted my Uncle who was 5'10 and about 200 so hard there was a dent in the wall.

It does suck perhaps, but be thankful someone cares about you and your future that much. Not everyone is that lucky.

Before you think I don't know where you are coming from, I'm 30 and now at home raising my kid. I do not always agree with my dad especially with some of his religious and political beliefs but it is his house and that comes before everything. You don't have to agree with them but arguing is just showing immaturity. Don't burn bridges because you don't knowwhen you'll need them.

damn, somebody needs a shot of vitimin 'boot camp' pretty badly...

That's another thing to remember, Stitch. While you're under his roof, he has the right to put you in a school that's.. well... a little stricter (begins with a B! ;)). ::EDIT: Chickybaby beat me to it, dang :P :: Take the easy way and just put your nose to the books ;).

It only seems long while you're in it. And no, I'm not saying you HAVE to get a college education. But I will tell you, judging by your room, if you're used to the nicer things in life, then I really wouldn't get anything less than a 4 year. Expendable income isn't easily attained by a job at Target. That pay might seem livable now, but it's not once you get into real life bills.

Sorry if we're all harking on you, but I hope you can see it in the perspective that we care, and that we just want you to make the right choice. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone here who'll say "yea, screw your dad.. do what YOU wanna do, screw school!" ;)

Edited by DaytonaUSA

It's my experience that jobs suck just as much as school. I get to write code and solder which I like, but right now my boss is pushing me finish a stupid ISO spec. He told me to keep it short, then bounced back the first draft for not enough detail, I hate that friggin document.

Another time I was at a friend's house party who got a physics doctorate from Stanford, and was still working there. Way smarter than me. Heard him and his colleagues talk about what a drudge writing research grant proposals were.

Even handymen and contractors have to write up job quotes they usually don't get called back on.

Try this. Ask your dad to get you a storage unit just large enough to store all your video game stuff -- and I mean ALL of it. You'll likely be able to better deal with school without the distractions. If you present it this way, I doubt he'll be motivated to just chuck the lot.

Try this. Ask your dad to get you a storage unit just large enough to store all your video game stuff -- and I mean ALL of it. You'll likely be able to better deal with school without the distractions. If you present it this way, I doubt he'll be motivated to just chuck the lot.

Nah, at that point his dad would probably just take it all in his own room and lock the door. He'd lose that battle, trust me.

But hey, at least your dad isn't as messed up as mine was (he's long gone though! yay!). I still remember him bashing a copy of Return of the Jedi for the SNES with a hammer in my room (which, ironically took a VERY long time.. little carts are very durable) just because I got a D on ONE small test that he refused to help me study for when I asked for help. I still remember laughing quietly to myself as he'd hit it and all it would do was flip in the air without being damaged. That and I was just thankful that out of the three, that's the one he chose to beat up as my punishment.

Count your blessings your dad isn't a tool at least :P

You can try looking at technical schools too. I'm not as familiar with them...as I never had a real interest. Liberal arts was the way to go for me...but there you are more likely to find what you're looking for. You know...career focused sort of things...study to become a network engineer or electrical engineer, etc... So...that might be a way to go if you know what you're looking for. I have a friend who went to a technical school and is doing pretty well as a network administrator for a local hospital.

I recruit for a technical/trade school, and let me tell you, you won't have trouble affording consoles if you take the right program. If you work on your grades, I'd recommend an Engineering Technology or Technician program. All ours are hired before graduation, and you're usually looking at six figures (mid five figures if you do something like Geomatics or are particular about where you live).

If you're good with your hands, take a skilled trade. The money in that is so much better than people think that it is sickening seeing so many people led to believe trades are "dummy" programs. The people doing the misleading are usually Guidance Counselors and teachers, who, by definition, themselves chose University. Ask yourself though, how much do you pay a plumber? And that's a fairly modest paying trade. Big warning though that you won't get from a teacher or Guidance Counselor: if you want to do a trade really work on your math marks. The way training works these days, most trades require some related courses in math, and doing much of the work requires quick, precise math skills. Trades aren't for slow people, so don't believe what anyone tells you. The main reason people fail our trades programs is because of poor math skills. You don't need to be a rocket scientist, but keep the marks up.

Finally, if you don't like having to wade through BS, you might want to look into a Buisness Diploma from a technical school. They're usually pretty focused on what you're actually interested in (you could choose to, say, focus on accounting or marketing in particular), and, at least at schools like mine, they have work terms, so you get to work in your field. Universities also offer business programs, but will likely have the general first year grind. If you attend a school like mine, it'll probably have an articulation agreement in effect with all kinds of Universities anyway, that will let you block transfer all your credits to the University if you want to attend there when you're done anyway. You should still keep your marks up for this to at least the basic entrance requirements for entry into the program.

Trust me, you can't afford to not be interested in school. Well, I guess you can if you've got an amazing system like at my school, where we offer students with low marks a one year entry to College program, but most places don't have that, and it'll add another year to any program in any case (a year filled with courses you wouldn't like). Save yourself some trouble. Unplug the systems. Buckle down. Research post-secondary options. And listen to your parents.

Edited by Atarifever

Yes he is right but throwing my shit out wouldn't do anything. I just have no interest at all in most of my classes. I'm learning nothing new in History. The books in English bore the hell out of me. And research papers are a pain in the ass.

If you can't slog through the basic, boring, tedious crap in high school, how will you ever find the fortitude to slog through the basic, boring, tedious crap in college/trade school/your future job?

High school is easy crap. It does NOT get easier upon graduation. If you're punking out now, you have an uphill climb ahead of ya regardless of the career direction you take.

I recruit for a technical/trade school, and let me tell you, you won't have trouble affording consoles if you take the right program. If you work on your grades, I'd recommend an Engineering Technology or Technician program. All ours are hired before graduation, and you're usually looking at six figures (mid five figures if you do something like Geomatics or are particular about where you live).

(etc)

Thanks for posting this. Just because you don't go to a 4-year university doesn't mean you'll be flipping burgers or pushing carts at Target. However you DO need to get serious about something and, once you do finish HS, put everything you've got into it. There are exceptions, but life is pretty much "garbage in garbage out."

(etc)

Thanks for posting this. Just because you don't go to a 4-year university doesn't mean you'll be flipping burgers or pushing carts at Target. However you DO need to get serious about something and, once you do finish HS, put everything you've got into it. There are exceptions, but life is pretty much "garbage in garbage out."

And to sum up what we've all said here: "Youth is wasted on the young!" :D

If only we could go back and start over, fixing all those little lapses we all had before we really understood how it all works...

Get your grades up son! Your dad is just worried about you and wants to make sure you get into a good college. With that said saying he is going to throw your video games away is a pretty dumb thing to say and isn't a good way to get your attention. All saying something like that will do is start a fight.

No way in hell do I want to go back. Not even close or for one minute. You can keep that crap. I am who I am for surviving everything I did even if barely, and I wouldn't want to be anyone else. While I have done some stupid ass stuff to put it nicely, I would not want to go through it again. I've got a great kid out of the deal and some amazing friends and people I care about very much. Besides, I like being able to *legally* buy a drink when I want to, lol. :D ;)

If only we could go back and start over, fixing all those little lapses we all had before we really understood how it all works...

ps - I am sure that if someone had problems with understanding something in class, they could find a person here that would help them if they asked (and if someone remembered how do that stuff).