IGNORED

6510 chips from C64s worth keeping?

Mirage

Hello hardware gurus,

Need some opinions/thoughts. I have a whole bunch of C64 motherboards. I'm keeping intact the ones that test 100% (I have a diagnostic cart with harness and other testing equipment), and I'm repairing the ones that are easily repairable (e.g. simple chip swap). The rest that aren't so easily repairable, or I otherwise don't think are worth dealing with, I'm going to pull all socketed chips (mainly the SID), test them, then sell them, or just store them safely for now.

The question: Some of the 6510's are not socketed. Is there any demand for these, or will there ever likely be? Are they worth desoldering, testing, and keeping, or are they basically junk? Also, are there any other notable chips that aren't usually socketed that are worth keeping for some reason?

Side note: I have lots and lots of C64 parts. Various types of power supplies, keyboards, NOS power switches, NOS IC's, various NOS and used connectors, SID chips (various revisions), 1541's, monitor cables, drive cables (including some custom very long ones), and ... I'm not even sure what else yet. I also have an NOS Plus/4 keyboard, and a loose Plus/4 fully-populated mb (not sure if this is NOS or not, but it's in a C= box). I also have some C128 parts, power supplies, IC's. A very few Apple ][ bits also like NOS power switches and NOS key switches. Once I get a little more inventoried, I'll put up lists, but in the meantime if anyone needs anything specific, PM me and I'll see what I can find and maybe we can work something out. I can test most C64 items. Obviously if anyone needs any non-working (or working ones!) motherboards, I have those as well. I don't have any spare cases at this time, nor is any of the diag equipment for sale at this time.

Thanks

Edited by Mirage1972

Need some opinions/thoughts.

I guess it's up to you really.

Personally, if it was me, I'd pull/test/save EVERY chip. Ram included.

It's stupid to throw away hard to find parts for classic hardware. Even more so in your case when you're trying to put together as many good ones as you can.

Gotta remember these formerly common parts aren't so common anymore. It's easier/cheaper to pull a 6510 then it is to try and buy a new one.

I'd say keep as much as possible.

Generic LS series chips are probably not worth the effort to desolder. Stuff like the CIAs would be definate keepers too.

RAM chips should be exchangable with many other machines of the same era, so definately worth saving.

I'd not mind a couple of SIDs... one to do a stereo mod and another for my Plus/4.

Generic LS series chips are probably not worth the effort to desolder.

I still would myself. Still cheaper and easier then trying to buy them.

Remember, even this stuff is slowly becomming a commodity. Everyone uses microcontrollers now so no one cares much about old school linear ic's.

Why do you think you can buy STAMP's at RadioShack, but not a 7400?

Okay, thanks for the replies so far.

I was leaning toward thinking they're worth saving no matter what. If I just keep everything, I'll probably just keep them stored in situ on the boards for the time being rather than going through and desoldering everything. They can always be removed later. That will save me a lot of time which is even more precious now than storage space. I don't have an exact count yet, but there's 50 boards that I've counted so far with more boxes to go through. Plus then there's all the loose stuff and all the other odds and ends. This will take awhile!

Either way, it absolutely would pain me to throw anything away at all, as they don't make most of this anymore. Still, there always has to be a line of what to keep and what to toss.

I'm not trying to put together as many good ones as I can. I'll just save/repair the ones that are easy to repair and shelve the rest for now unless/until someone needs something.

Anyway, I'll put up a rough inventory soon. SID chips will be available. Mostly they're 6581r4's, but there's some original/older versions, and some later also. I'll probably keep the Rev. A mb's intact with the original SIDs. Those are a lot nicer board IMO, except for the desaturated display. Most SIDs so far test good, a couple are bad. Shoot me an offer shipped via PM with number and revision you want, if you care, otherwise I can choose nice sounding ones and match versions if you'd like. I need to do more research on a lot of this stuff, price-wise and function-wise.

Most SIDs so far test good, a couple are bad.

You should destroy the bad one's on YouTube, but don't mention they are bad. It'll make some CBM'ers cry! :P :lol:

:P I have at least 5 completes that have lots of bad chips and have ugly (engraved) etc cases, so I could really put on a good show of destroying whole computers even!

Most of the custom IC's is worth keeping as theres no real other source for them these days, even if your not into commodore yourself you can always sell the good ones to others who are. Basically 6510, CIA's, SID's, VIC II, PLA, Roms are all worth keeping. Rams could be a close call as most 64's have these socketed which makes them a bugger to remove intact unless you've got good desoldering tools (which braid and the radio shlock vacuum pumps are not, neither will cut it for keeping intact chips)

I've decided to not throw anything away at all. The bad ones my wife will use for some kind of art or craft thing or somesuch, but all good ones will be preserved one way or another until they can be sold or used.

I'm starting with all the socketed chips to make things easy, and will keep the boards intact to later desolder the rest of the chips. As far as RAM chips go, I have probably about... I don't even know... maybe a couple/few hundred loose as it is, so it'll be quite some time before I have to desolder any of those, hopefully!

Thanks guys. I can't believe I was even considering throwing anything out for awhile. It was pretty intimidating at first, having all these, but it's been going quicker than I thought it would even with my limited time these days.

I'm making a run to Radio Shack right now to see what they have in-store before I place an order with an actual electronics retailer. This should be good for a hoot. I haven't been into a RS for years.

This should be good for a hoot. I haven't been into a RS for years.

You've got questions - they've got cell phones. Don't expect much. :P

I just got back from RS. You pretty much nailed it! What little they did have in electronics at the first store wasn't even in stock, just empty racks. The second RS store did have the big bins with the basic resistors and such, which was kinda surprising actually, and a selection of soldering gear. I did buy a cheap 15 watt one and some other small items since I was there, and a 45 watt general desoldering iron for general use. They didn't have anything more specific, but this is all I need for now. Will have to place a Mouser order soon.

Radio Shack is a far cry from what it was in 1984, BUT I think it was probably still the same guys working there. About 55-65 years old, long grey beards, geeky, but kinda pathetic also... it was a bit sad, really.

Ah, good ol' RS, true story below, seems kinda mean, but this was the era of a couple years ago when as soon as your body broke the plane on the store entrance, an associate would descend upon you like a crazed krishna behind on his quota...

{ding!}

RS: Hi can I help you?

me: No

RS: Sure, what can i help you find.

me: Ok, I need a male 5-pin DIN, preferably with solder cup pins

RS: Uh

me: See?

• 1 month later...
Can I have the power switches off of the dead boards?

Most everything is already gone to good homes and the bad stuff junked. I think the only switches I have left are off good boards or boards I've set aside to repair. If I run across any I'll let you know though.