IGNORED

Tetris programs for Atari 800 question

atx4us

Hello,

I downloaded (3) different Tetris programs (Tetris.atr, Tetris 3d.atr, Warsaw Tetris.ATR) from Vjetnam and I can't get any of these programs to run (correctly) on Atari800, Atari800Win, and Atari++ emulators. Can anyone please let me know how I can get these programs running?

Thanks.

Hello,

I downloaded (3) different Tetris programs (Tetris.atr, Tetris 3d.atr, Warsaw Tetris.ATR) from Vjetnam and I can't get any of these programs to run (correctly) on Atari800, Atari800Win, and Atari++ emulators. Can anyone please let me know how I can get these programs running?

Thanks.

Can't seem to find the Vietnam site to download them, can you post a link? What error(s) do you get?

Hi

The Vjetnam site is here.

I downloaded three atr files you mention and all three worked straight out in Atari800Win. I have BASIC disabled and a PAL 800XL selected as the machine type. Warsaw Tetris errors with BASIC enabled but the other two still work. None of them seem to like running on an 800 OS A or B so this may be your problem. Try setting the emulator to an XL or XE. PAL or NTSC doesn't seem to matter.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: PAL seems to work better for at least Tetris.atr. There is some flicker on NTSC.

Edited by spookt

I switched from Atari 800 OS-B/48K to OS-XL/64K as you suggested. All three programs work fine now. Thanks!
Glad to hear you got them working.

You might want to give the fantastic, 2006, Tetris-like game, Flowers Mania (XL/XE required) a try.

Jellybeans, though even less tetris-like, is another great, realtime, puzzle game.

- Steve Sheppard

Edited by a8isa1

Thanks to everyone for your really helpfuls hints and comments. :)

Some of the links were to AtariMania. Can you please tell me how to download the files from this site?

?? Click the word DOWNLOAD ??

If that doesn't work maybe popups are being blocked in your browser.

If you mean to search there is a search box or Letters to click.

--Ken

Edited by kenfused

Vjetnam isn't updated anymore, AFAIK. Take a look at Fandal's archive instead. And don't forget to try Tigris. :)

Anyway, playing Multris (requires Multijoy) at a party is the best! ;)

That tigris game could have been much better. I really like the quality of the program, it looks extremely professional, but it has a few things that are not nice.

1) you can't move the block when you moved down (it falls down quick, but i would have better when you would still be able to move it left or right; just to speed up the gameplay)

2) the blocks are not tetris-like. Strange look, and I'm not familiar with these... I like the more 'simple' tetris blocks.

but besides those points. great game indeed.

M.

Vjetnam isn't updated anymore, AFAIK. Take a look at Fandal's archive instead. And don't forget to try Tigris. :)

Anyway, playing Multris (requires Multijoy) at a party is the best! ;)

That tigris game could have been much better. I really like the quality of the program, it looks extremely professional, but it has a few things that are not nice.

1) you can't move the block when you moved down (it falls down quick, but i would have better when you would still be able to move it left or right; just to speed up the gameplay)

2) the blocks are not tetris-like. Strange look, and I'm not familiar with these... I like the more 'simple' tetris blocks.

but besides those points. great game indeed.

M.

Marius, I totally agree with the points that you made above. These tetris games are generally well done / professional looking. But, the actual game play is quite lacking. One more thing, the various graphics modes that they used deliver decent resolution for the Atari but the total number of available colors are too limited.

Believe it or not, I didn't realize there were so many versions of Tetris already available. But, that may be a good thing because I have been working on my own version using the GTIA mode 10 which has nine colors with independent hue and luminance settings. I chose to use the Action! language since it is my favorite language on the Atari. It compiles codes directly into machine language. And for the timing critical routines in my game such as DLIs, VBIs and block moves, I used the Mac65 Assembler to create the codes. So, I tried to carefully balance between the appearance (resolution) and the actual game play quality (the points you made above) while squeezing all the performance out of the Atari 800. I actually started my Tetris program about 20 years ago. I recently discovered this web site and the various Atari emulators. Now, I can return to my nostalgic Atari days and the AtariAge group is fantastic! :)

I don't know if Tetris is the in game anymore. I still enjoy this simple game very much. And I don't know if the world needs another Tetris program. But, if there seems to be enough interest, I can put the finishing touches on my program and make it available to this site.

I don't know if Tetris is the in game anymore. I still enjoy this simple game very much. And I don't know if the world needs another Tetris program. But, if there seems to be enough interest, I can put the finishing touches on my program and make it available to this site.

It DOES, we need one that gets progressively more difficult and has points for dropping pieces to reward faster play; the original PC version was excellent and sadly none of these are quite as good ;)

p.s. Dropped pieces should stay dropped :D

Edited by therealbountybob

p.s. Dropped pieces should stay dropped :D

Of course, but I think during the dropping process pieces should be movable. The game is lazy when you start. You want to play fast and not to wait till a piece is from top screen to bottom. So you press 'down' and then the piece drops, and before it hits ground, it should be able to move it left or right.

At least, that is how I like to play it :D

I think The Wall is a very superb Tetris clone

http://atari.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=3273

I don't like the interlaced graphics, but besides that it rocks bigtime. Goodlooking squares, nice music (altough it is not original) and the right control.

Perhaps someone can reproduce this game, with newer graphics technique; like flowers mania (see link somewhere up in this thread)

Thanks

M.

I'm sure we'd all love to see it. There's always room for new Atari software :)

Edited by spookt

My brother made this tetris clone back in 1989. You will need to use a 130xe or upgraded XL with BXE in extended mode. It was slow and he was working on making faster. Only rudimentary sound and color. I guess he moved on to other projects before really finishing it. This was his work disk that I salvaged from a XF551 DSDD disk on SpartaDos.

I believe warerat and him were working on ML routines to speed things up. I have no way to test at the moment since I only have a PAL 800 on hand.

TETRA_BXE.zip

Well,

how about the following Tetris clones:

- Warsaw Tetris (available as a bootdisk, a 16k and a 32k fileversion)

- Ultra Tetris

- Lunacy Tetris (lets you playback Pokey Player tunes while playing)

- Chromatics

- Getris

- Blockaboo

- IBM Tetris (with very nice picture backgrounds!)

- Atatris and Atatris 2

- Tetrix

- The Wall (by Itay Chamiel in RGB-15 mode)

- Speed Puzzler (from german Atari magazine)

- Flowers

- Fortress

- Hot Blocks

- Tetris (one version by S. Brabec, one by HMC)

- and many many more...

Still, I love tetris games with the standard tetris blocks, I don`t like enhancements, where blocks e.g. look like a + or other crazy forms, alas, there are quite many tetris versions on the A8 which have non-standard blocks...

So, I would still be interested to see a new Tetris version, even in Gr. 10, if its a good one... Attached IBM-Tetris (requires XL/XE, Basic off), since it seems not to be very well known by now... all the rest can be found via atarimania.com -Andreas Koch.

never been able to get ibm tetris to work on ntsc machine, the name is a misnomer anyway since it is the spectrum holobyte version that was a copy of the original Atari version that stupid Judges in the US made Atari yank and recover then destroy due to the whole licensing only to like minded government fiasco/ ussr to nintendo..... never should have happened since the Atari is indeed a computer complete with monitor and keyboard. But hey..... maybe some talented crew will restore what was lost. Since the Atari version of the game is still in the record books as having been the "best" version. Look it up. LOL the best version that never was allowed to the home user base at large. One can only hope to see it faithfully reproduced on the 8 bit Atari. I wonder if any escaped destruction? They must have given the track record of stuff turning up... one day.... one day...

Well,

how about the following Tetris clones:

- Warsaw Tetris (available as a bootdisk, a 16k and a 32k fileversion)

- Ultra Tetris

- Lunacy Tetris (lets you playback Pokey Player tunes while playing)

- Chromatics

- Getris

- Blockaboo

- IBM Tetris (with very nice picture backgrounds!)

- Atatris and Atatris 2

- Tetrix

- The Wall (by Itay Chamiel in RGB-15 mode)

- Speed Puzzler (from german Atari magazine)

- Flowers

- Fortress

- Hot Blocks

- Tetris (one version by S. Brabec, one by HMC)

- and many many more...

Still, I love tetris games with the standard tetris blocks, I don`t like enhancements, where blocks e.g. look like a + or other crazy forms, alas, there are quite many tetris versions on the A8 which have non-standard blocks...

So, I would still be interested to see a new Tetris version, even in Gr. 10, if its a good one... Attached IBM-Tetris (requires XL/XE, Basic off), since it seems not to be very well known by now... all the rest can be found via atarimania.com -Andreas Koch.

Let's go at least for something like this!

post-11240-1240689369.png

and with the arcade gameplay?

post-11240-1240688953.png

but, who has the time :)

NRV

Cool snapshot! But I can't think of any graphics mode on the Atari that can deliver both the pixel and the color resolution in this sample picture. As the first step, can anyone use a graphics editor / paint program to recreate this picture on the Atari? If we can't even paint it as a proof of concept, I'm not sure that we can proceed from here.

NRV

Cool snapshot! But I can't think of any graphics mode on the Atari that can deliver both the pixel and the color resolution in this sample picture. As the first step, can anyone use a graphics editor / paint program to recreate this picture on the Atari? If we can't even paint it as a proof of concept, I'm not sure that we can proceed from here.

I'm fairly certain that is a screenshot from the Atari. I could swear there was a binary of it somewhere - static shot IIRC. It's also 160 pixels wide.

Stephen Anderson

NRV

I'm fairly certain that is a screenshot from the Atari. I could swear there was a binary of it somewhere - static shot IIRC. It's also 160 pixels wide.

Stephen Anderson

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that screenshot was in the 'A8 vs C64' thread... showing off the GPRIOR abilities of the chipset. Wish I was a good enough programmer to develop that into a functional game.

Yes.. that's real :)

here (with some more graphics):

tdemo.zip

only restriction is that you can use all the colors only in the play area..

the original thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...=136584&hl=

NRV

NRV,

Can you please tell me how to actually load this file? I tried loading the file using Kboot and MyDos with Atari800Win - OS/B and OS/XL modes. But, I must be doing something wrong because it's still not working.