IGNORED

Talon Supercharger

I recently acquired a SuperCharger from DarkLord and after quite a bit of tinkering, it seems to be working fairly well with my TT030. Initially the unit only seemed to work for a few minutes before locking up. Also, whenever I tried to load any programs that used CGA graphics it would freeze immediately.

I took the unit apart and have reseated all of the socket chips a couple of times and now it seems much more stable. Under normal DOS activity it has not locked up at all now. Running CGA games still seems to lock up the SuperCharger occasionally, but it is certainly usable now.

I installed DOS 4 on an external SCSI and it boots surprisingly quickly. Very neat product.

-Pete

post-3523-0-16376700-1519048935_thumb.jpgpost-3523-0-71140100-1519048943_thumb.jpgpost-3523-0-21479800-1519048960_thumb.jpgpost-3523-0-60437900-1519048973_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I have a Supercharger and a Mega 2, bring it back on line.  Need to find the DMA cable and it would be nice if I could locate my 5.25 drive for the ST.  I have  a Shoebox of floppies for the IBM.  I do have a1040 stf running ATM.

• 1 month later...

Is anyone else currently using their Supercharger?  I have a DMA cable on order.  Going through my software I have v1.5 as the last version of the software.  What are others using?

Thank you

9 hours ago, Bee said:

Is anyone else currently using their Supercharger?  I have a DMA cable on order.  Going through my software I have v1.5 as the last version of the software.  What are others using?

Thank you

I have had a Supercharger for many years now.

I patched it a bit to make it run on the TT with a graphic card. Now I can run it in 800x600 and be able to display the HERCULES resolution of 720×348 in full page.

I also played with the clock generator to push it to 10MHz.

I have written a page about ma setting:

https://gtello.pagesperso-orange.fr/supch_e.htm

The Supercharge can also be used as a coprocessor and work in parallel with the ST.

Guillaume.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 2:08 AM, Bee said:

Thank you

1.40 was the latest I had on disks that weren't corrupted.  If you have a 1.5 set, please post it.

It's alive.  DMA cable arrived!  It is running from floppy.  @remowilliams I will work on it.  I currently have no way to get anything off the ST.  It will take some time.  I happen to have pile of disks.  No PC that can read them and no external connection on the ST yet.

IMG_3982.thumb.jpg.69993079d0e3a2603ac22f583611ff14.jpgIMG_3972.thumb.jpg.b968ddaca679a58af40c3589bffb7fe7.jpgIMG_3957.thumb.jpg.062af6c3eac2bd8f2297c6ff747279db.jpg

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Bee said:

It's alive.  DMA cable arrived!  It is running from floppy.  @remowilliams I will work on it.  I currently have no way to get anything off the ST.  It will take some time.  I happen to have pile of disks.  No PC that can read them and no external connection on the ST yet.

Congrats on getting it working!  : )

I'm setup for disk imaging, if you want to mail them out PM me.

This is the v1.5 floppy running on a MegaSTE internal HD lun ID set to 3, with a Ultra Satan connected to after the Supercharger.  I suspect the G drive is on the Ultra Satan.  I was experimenting.  With the Supercharger connected it forces the boot from the internal Hard Drive.  I don't have specific DOS software I was looking to run.  I was just trying to get the Emulator up and running.  Back in the day I ran the GEM Desktop.  I'm going to work with @remowilliams to try to get a sharable copy of this disk.  I can't make a image and export it at the moment.  

When I moved to a 1040STE the Ultra Satan isn't seen after the SuperCharger.  The 1040SET is where I would like to use it.  More to come.

Thank you

13 hours ago, Bee said:

This is the v1.5 floppy running on a MegaSTE internal HD lun ID set to 3, with a Ultra Satan connected to after the Supercharger.  I suspect the G drive is on the Ultra Satan. 

Hello,

Can you make a DIR on the G drive?

Can you TYPE AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS to compare with my setting?

Many thanks!

Guillaume.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I'm new to this site, I bought a super charger few months ago.

When received it had only 512K of ram, so I've added more ram, but I noticed that sometimes it freeze.

So I tryed to test the memory with checkit, but seem that the very first memory blocks are bad.

I've changed the chips with other but nothing change.

Is there someone who can test the ram of his supercharger using checkit and let me know if the test goes ok ?

Do you know which version is the last ?

Thank you!

48 minutes ago, cyberfox_it said:

Hello,

When received it had only 512K of ram, so I've added more ram, but I noticed that sometimes it freeze.

So I tryed to test the memory with checkit, but seem that the very first memory blocks are bad.

Is there someone who can test the ram of his supercharger using checkit and let me know if the test goes ok ?

Thank you!

Hi,

Here is the result with my 1MB Supercharger. 

Guillaume.

SCRDUMP0.gif

Edited by moulinaie

1 hour ago, cyberfox_it said:

Hello,

Thank you!

And here are the reported errors.

But my emulateur works well and never freezes.

So I imagine that CHECKIT can't report  correctly the RAM erros on this system.

Guillaume.

SCRDUMP1.gif

Edited by moulinaie

When I think about it...

The locations 46C/46E, 43E/440 are used by the bio and regularly incremented by an interrupt. That's why the tester finds different values in it and thinks that the RAM is faulty.

If the errors you encounter are in the BIOS area 400-4FF, then no need to panic...

Guillaume.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

sorry for be so late answering, I'm changing home.

I've somthing like overflow error, I can't verify at the moment.

Another issue I've is when I switch from DOS to TOS, usually I got the system freeze!

Do you load something like a patch, or library on boot for make it work ?

Do you know which is the latest system software for the Supercharger ?

Thank you

Edited by cyberfox_it