IGNORED

HSC 6 Contest 9: River Raid

JellE

Jelle, you are doing a great job - hell, I only got score updates once a week :D

Thanks, I appreciate that! Things have just been really stressful around here...and hopefully once things settle down, everything will be back to normal.

Sorry I haven't had a chance to update in the past few days. I will get to it as soon as I can. Being pregnant with a terrible toothache doesn't prove to be too conducive in getting things done.

I'm resisting a whole host of jokes there, just :) Hope you feel better soon (the toothache part) :D

Hope you don't mind but I've done a quick table so far (probably almost rightish), bridge numbers in brackets:

1. therealbountybob 93,420 (43) 12

2. deteacher 73,860 (34) 11

3. chuckwalla 68,050 (35) 10

4. jetset 67,840 (33) 9

5. roadrunner 50,980 (26) 8

6. darthkur 44,490 (24) 7

7. angry_jedi 44,070 (24) 6

8. kurt_woloch 39,790 (23) 5

9. vectorman0 39,000 (?) 4

10. goochman 34,230 (?) 3

11. Divya16 34,010 (20+) 1

12. spookt 30,770 (14+) 1

13. mimo 29,170 (19+) 1

14. gwobby 24,670 (?) 1

15. a8isa1 15,170 (8) 1 (this is bridge 8 in brackets and not a weird little face)

16. bluecat 14,750 (10) 1

17. TimsterAA 12,990 1

18. AB Positive 9,290 (5) 1

19. orpheuswaking 5,620 (?) 1

just one more thing:

The war had been raging for many years, the river fortress had never been defeated, I always wanted to fly through to bridge 50 from the start, I once heard of another pilot being shot down on the 47th many years ago. It was early Sunday morning and we got the call to go... things started well and my squadron hadn't lost a man until there was an ambush over bridge 33... things got tougher and fuel became scarce. I was loosing support left right and centre, suddenly it was all down to me, I was nearly out of fuel again after wasting a depo under heavy fire, the canyons narrowed and the low fuel alarm sounded again, must make it to the fuel, I glided down about to ditch into the river. Fortune favours the brave, and I just made it over the refuelling point as the fuel empty siren went off... I destroyed bridge 49 with a barrage of fire, only 1 to go, dodging helicopter gunships and tank fire and navigating through some paint-scrapingly tight turns the bridge looms on the horizon. There are enemy boats and copters all over the place, not to mention the hot air balloons laden with explosives. "I'm gonna crash", "I'm not gonna make it" I radio back to base... In an act of bravery as I kamikaze down I let rip on the gunns and manage to blow up the bridge as I crash... mission accomplished... only one problem, how am I writing this... spooky :ponder:

Sorry folks :o

How many bridges are there (after 50) without repeats? So far starting from 50, I got up to 54.

They certainly packed a lot of information into that 8K game. Looking at it brute-force, you would have 54*176*1000/4 bitmap screens (assuming that scrolling display is 176*1000 per bridge). That would require 2.5Megabytes if not compressed. And these are not RANDOM river maps. I didn't include information of overlayed moving objects.

Here's my first crack at this (since I last played many years ago):

post-12094-1241633117_thumb.jpg

How many bridges are there (after 50) without repeats? So far starting from 50, I got up to 54.

They certainly packed a lot of information into that 8K game. Looking at it brute-force, you would have 54*176*1000/4 bitmap screens (assuming that scrolling display is 176*1000 per bridge). That would require 2.5Megabytes if not compressed. And these are not RANDOM river maps. I didn't include information of overlayed moving objects.

Here's my first crack at this (since I last played many years ago):

If you're up for a sub challenge, I've made it to level 58 ;) (starting at 50) didn't have time to enjoy the scenery :D

Sorry I haven't had a chance to update in the past few days. I will get to it as soon as I can. Being pregnant with a terrible toothache doesn't prove to be too conducive in getting things done.

I don't think it's a big deal at all, but maybe you should name bountybob or someone co-mod so he can update things.

Thanks... but there is actually already a co-mod. At any rate, these last two contests are the only ones that have taken longer for me to update. Prior to that they were all updated as soon as I got the email of a new post. I really don't think it is unreasonable to be a little patient, is it? How many other mods update the HSC within a couple of hours of scores being posted? I am sorry if I seem a little "bitchy" but you know I am doing my best here. Thanks again for the input... it will be taken into consideration.

No Im sorry...didnt mean to sound pushy or anything! Youre doing a great job! I was just making the suggestion because it sounded like you felt bad not updating. Its all good! Sory if my post sounded snitty.

...and you're allowed bitchy! We understand!

I don't think it's a big deal at all, but maybe you should name bountybob or someone co-mod so he can update things.

Thanks... but there is actually already a co-mod. At any rate, these last two contests are the only ones that have taken longer for me to update. Prior to that they were all updated as soon as I got the email of a new post. I really don't think it is unreasonable to be a little patient, is it? How many other mods update the HSC within a couple of hours of scores being posted? I am sorry if I seem a little "bitchy" but you know I am doing my best here. Thanks again for the input... it will be taken into consideration.

No Im sorry...didnt mean to sound pushy or anything! Youre doing a great job! I was just making the suggestion because it sounded like you felt bad not updating. Its all good! Sory if my post sounded snitty.

I do feel bad about not updating as much as I used to... and that is why I make sure everyone knows it isn't just because I am being lazy. Lots of things are going on... heck, I am still trying to unpack from our move four weeks ago. It's just been really hectic... and I don't want anyone to think that this isn't important to me, because it is. I just have some things to deal with, and once things are "back to normal" or at least as back to normal as they can be considering the circumstances, all will be good. Thanks again for the input, it is appreciated, I am just feeling a little bit overwhelmed right now, but I promise, it will get better sooner rather than later.

I do feel bad about not updating as much as I used to... and that is why I make sure everyone knows it isn't just because I am being lazy. Lots of things are going on... heck, I am still trying to unpack from our move four weeks ago. It's just been really hectic... and I don't want anyone to think that this isn't important to me, because it is. I just have some things to deal with, and once things are "back to normal" or at least as back to normal as they can be considering the circumstances, all will be good. Thanks again for the input, it is appreciated, I am just feeling a little bit overwhelmed right now, but I promise, it will get better sooner rather than later.

Hey JellE,

If anyone can relate, it's me. I've been pretty scarce around the forums myself. I haven't been able to participate in the HSCs and I really let my Arcade HSC duties get away from me for several weeks. People understand that sometimes, life gets in the way. I'll be happy when my work obligations are over and done with so I can get back to these awesome forums and HSCs. :)

Hang in there. We're all behind ya! :)

F.

Hi Fandal, I was wondering if I could get you to come out of retirement as poobah seems to have gone awol ;) I was just reading your blog today (via google's translator) and have downloaded a couple more of your games from your great site to have a look at. Nice to see you here :)

p.s. the really important bit:

post-19705-1241705085.jpg

F.

Wow... it is very nice to see you Fandal! We have missed you around here.. thanks for playing! :)

I just had to participate, River Raid is a must-play game!

F.

Hi Fandal, I was wondering if I could get you to come out of retirement as poobah seems to have gone awol ;) I was just reading your blog today (via google's translator) and have downloaded a couple more of your games from your great site to have a look at. Nice to see you here :)

p.s. the really important bit:

I can't believe somebody outside Czech Republic reads my blog (which is almost dead). :)

And thanks for nice words! ;)

F.

Decisions decisions, homework or HSC.....

:D

Wow, 22 people posted (so far (see above!)) is that a HSC record :?:

Got to level 62 from 50 but it gets a bit too intense :o was looking forward to Wizard of War or Trolls n Tribs after last-times close voting, but it's currently a 7-7 tie between Gyruss and Galaxian, and only 1 vote for WoW and T&T combined (me!), wots all that about :!:

Get voting n Get playing :spidey:

post-19705-1241801590_thumb.jpg

Edited by therealbountybob

Wow, 22 people posted (so far (see above!)) is that a HSC record :?:

Got to level 62 from 50 but it gets a bit too intense :o was looking forward to Wizard of War or Trolls n Tribs after last-times close voting, but it's currently a 7-7 tie between Gyruss and Galaxian, and only 1 vote for WoW and T&T combined (me!), wots all that about :!:

Get voting n Get playing :spidey:

I gave it one more shot from bridge 50 but only got to 55 (just missed 56). Someone must know how many total bridges there are in the game so we can compute the exact compression ratio of the river maps.