IGNORED

Game suggestions

boek

I like medieval RPG-y games. I'd like to get some more, particularly for the NES. I have: Castlequest, Defender of the Crown, Wizardry, Dragon Warrior, Shadowgate, Faxanadu, Legacy of the Wizard, Hydlide, Swords and Serpents, Dungeon Magic, Final Fantasy, Wizards and Warriors, both Zelda games, and Ghosts 'n' Goblins.

I've heard a lot of praise for Crystalis, but I've read that Scheherazade and Willow are good too. So... what games of that type should I get next?

I've also heard that Scheherazade is good...but I've played it several times and never agreed.

However, Crystalis is awesome, absolutely. Get that game.

Others...

Gauntlet and Gauntlet II

Final Fantasy

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves isn't great, but it's along the same lines.

Willow seems cool, though I haven't played very far into it.

Arkista's Ring is sort of a kid's version of Zelda.

The rest of the Dragon Warrior series are very good, also.

The Ultima series.

Gargoyle's Quest II

The rest of the Wizards & Warriors series

Dragon Lance: Heroes of the Lance

Gemfire

Hillsfar

The Immortal

King's Knight

Might and Magic: Book I

Rygar

If you want something like Zelda, get Crystalis. Willow is also in the same style, but not as good from what I remember.

Rygar is also cool.

Never played Schehe..whatever. :)

If you like western style RPGs (like Wizardry), then you might like Ultima: Exodus. That was the first RPG I ever played and I'm fond of it, though it certainly has flaws (especially with how monster difficulty and money are handled). It's pretty open ended and unforgiving, and doesn't tell you where to go like most Japanese RPGs do. It's definitely easier than Wizardry, but it still has an unforgiving nature. Death means something - there's a good chance an attempt to resurrect will fail. This is something I like in RPGs, but many people are appalled by it.

You can build up to 20 characters, forming them into any party of 4 you choose each time you load the game.

I love it, but it's still a port, not the original so if you want authenticity then get a computer version.

If you prefer Dragon Warrior/Final Fantasy type RPGs, then you should like the NES version of "Ultima II: Quest of the Avatar" (this is actually Ultima 4).

It's been altered to a more conventional Japanese style and it's more refined than Exodus. I think it was much more popular.

If you prefer to play a more faithful port of Avatar then get either the SMS version or one of the computer versions instead. I tried the SMS version and was impressed with how well they did it. It's equal to any PC version as far as I can tell, and they worked around the lack of a keyboard as well as possible.

@bobby: Wasn't there a Dungeons And Dragons NES game called Heroes Of The Lance?

Here's the game's mobygames.com page.

Looks like the box has:

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons: Heroes of the Lance

But the title screen says:

Dragon Lance: Heroes of the Lance

In any case, we're talking about the same game.