IGNORED

Atari 400 question.

Just how far can a 400 be modded?

I think mine is 48K.

There were larger RAM upgrades available in the past, but will still not be XL/XE compatible, 48k is about as good as it gets. With 48k you can still run most games.

You can add s-video out by using an 8bitdomain.com 5200 s-video upgrade (be prepared for a loooong wait if you do order one) or you can look up little brother grows up s-video mod if you are handy with a soldering iron (be sure to look for the update as well as IIRC there were some errors in the original magazine article.

I really love the looks of the 400.Especially the membrane keyboard, ok its pretty crap to type on, but really adds to the sleek 80's wedge shape of the 400.

It should be displayed as a piece of art :D

In fact I think I read that someone on AA has hung a 400 keyboard on a wall

Edited by mimo

Not bad for a complete boxed (and, presumably, working) system. I always preferred the styling of the original 400 and 800 to the later versions.

The neighbor kid had an Atari 400 and I've always kinda liked it. I found one a few years ago at the local recycling center for free which really made my day.

$30 is short money for a working 400/410. Get an 810 and you have a nice computer/video game. The plus of 400/800 is the four joystick ports. This means four concurrent players for a few games -- notably Asteroids. If you are content to play the 16k roms that plug into this computer, and can deal with the poor rf output, this could be fun for you.

That said, the 400 is not a great everyday machine. Absent mods, tv out is poor and compatibility is limited. Forget about typing on the membrane keyboard.

$30 is short money for a working 400/410. Get an 810 and you have a nice computer/video game. The plus of 400/800 is the four joystick ports. This means four concurrent players for a few games -- notably Asteroids. If you are content to play the 16k roms that plug into this computer, and can deal with the poor rf output, this could be fun for you.

That said, the 400 is not a great everyday machine. Absent mods, tv out is poor and compatibility is limited. Forget about typing on the membrane keyboard.

Would probably go for the mod. What is available on the mod, s-video?

I really love the looks of the 400.Especially the membrane keyboard, ok its pretty crap to type on, but really adds to the sleek 80's wedge shape of the 400.

Ewww...might have to disagree. Growing up everyone knew how vastly inferior the 400 was to the sleek 800. Every time I see the 400, I look with disgust. I mean, come on, no RIGHT cartridge port. Membrane keyboard. Yuck.

I'm looking for a 800 (with all keyboard keys, thank you). An 810 would be nice, but 1050 is more reliable.

I can't wait to get scared again with a 2049er death.

Ewww...might have to disagree. Growing up everyone knew how vastly inferior the 400 was to the sleek 800. Every time I see the 400, I look with disgust. I mean, come on, no RIGHT cartridge port. Membrane keyboard. Yuck.

I'm looking for a 800 (with all keyboard keys, thank you). An 810 would be nice, but 1050 is more reliable.

I can't wait to get scared again with a 2049er death.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=250417953384

I mean, come on, no RIGHT cartridge port.

Yeah, but there wasn't really anything that used it. It's really not much of a loss, considering that all the other 8-bits except the 800 don't have it.

Kidding, of course. But I remember my family looking, researching, and deciding between the two. The RIGHT port--very important. At least maybe that's what the salesman was saying. ;)

What was for it? Monkey Wrench or something like that?

Besides, everyone knows bigger is better.