IGNORED

Colecovision: a strange system

Lord Thag

Tutankham(un)---an 8-bit exclusive & incredibly accurate port of the Arcade (--I dumped alot of quarters into this one)--well worth tracking down...Good Luck

I guess I don't understand this comment. How is it an exclusive, since it was released on the Atari 2600 and Intellivision as well? Maybe I don't understand the point you're trying to make....

Edited by else

Tutankham(un)---an 8-bit exclusive & incredibly accurate port of the Arcade (--I dumped alot of quarters into this one)--well worth tracking down...Good Luck

I guess I don't understand this comment. How is it an exclusive, since it was released on the Atari 2600 and Intellivision as well? Maybe I don't understand the point you're trying to make....

Great question! Allow me to clarify:

My only point was that it was an "8-bit exclusive", since the A-800XL version was never released. The 2600 was obviously not an 8-bit translation. You are correct to remind me about the Intellivision release, but it was limited to Europe and was never officially released in the US; also, I never imagined that the INT version used all "8 Bits" (please see comparisons below). However, since I've just discovered that the Commodore VIC-20 did in fact release a bonafied 8-bit version, I must strike the word "exclusive" from the record and insert the word--"Superior".

Graphical comparisons---

Colecovision: post-21471-1241934532_thumb.png--close to Arcade!

Intellivision(Europe): post-21471-1241934606_thumb.png---clearly not "8-bit" programming

VIC-20: post-21471-1241934632.gif---nice 8-bit runner-up

das ist alles :)

My only point was that it was an "8-bit exclusive", since the A-800XL version was never released. The 2600 was obviously not an 8-bit translation.

The 2600 is an 8-bit machine, what are you talking about?

You are correct to remind me about the Intellivision release, but it was limited to Europe and was never officially released in the US; also, I never imagined that the INT version used all "8 Bits" (please see comparisons below).

That statement makes absolutely no sense. 1) The Intellivision has a 16-bit cpu. 2) The "bitness" of the CPU has little to do with the graphics, that's the job of the graphics co-processor. 3) A program using 2, 4, 8, or even 16 bit instructions and addressing has nothing to do with the look of the graphics, that's entirely up to the graphics processor. That's like saying I use one hand on the steering wheel when driving, so obviously my gas pedal can't make my car go to 55.

These games look the way they do because of how their respective console's graphics support capabilities were designed.

Edited by wgungfu

These games look the way they do because of how their respective console's graphics support capabilities were designed.

It's too bad that these consoles were not designed to perform modular upgrades vs. buying a whole new console. Based on what I read in "Racing the Beam," they were cutting costs wherever possible on the 2600 hardware. This undoubtedly was the best decision and had the 2600 been designed to be modular and as a result at a higher cost, we probably wouldn't even have this very discussion forum. But strictly from a technology standpoint, it would have been great if they were modular.

In regard to 2600 adapters, at the time they were the bomb. If you didn't have a 2600, to extend the library of the Colecovision to 1000+ 2600 carts was phenomenal.

Were there any compatibility issues between the Supercharger and any of the 2600 expansion modules that were released? I haven't had any problems on the 7800, but I have had compatibility problems running Stargate and some of the home brews which is why I ask about additional issues.

It's too bad that these consoles were not designed to perform modular upgrades vs. buying a whole new console.

Actually, the Colecovision was designed with expansion like that in mind. I talked several years ago to one of the members of the design firm out of Illinois that redesigned the system, and they specifically moved it to more of a pc structure than console for upgrading of capabilities.

It's too bad that these consoles were not designed to perform modular upgrades vs. buying a whole new console.

Actually, the Colecovision was designed with expansion like that in mind. I talked several years ago to one of the members of the design firm out of Illinois that redesigned the system, and they specifically moved it to more of a pc structure than console for upgrading of capabilities.

Are you referring to the unreleased computer add-on module?

What were the specs on the Super Game module? i.e. what was the enhancement?

30k ram, 128k wafer tapes that were based around the Entrepo stringy floppy system.

There was also another expansion being worked on separately but at the same time that often gets confused as another version

of the Super Game Module. This was a RCA CED disc based system that was meant to bring the laser disc game experience home, and designed by Ralph Baer.

The Super Game module was canceled before ADAM, the RCA CED disc expansion was canceled after all the problems started with ADAM after it was released.

The guys that were contracted to do the design of the CV literally designed it pc like to have an open bus for future devices like these. Take a look at what Eduardo is doing with his CV expansion to get a feel for how it could have been expanded if Coleco had survived the crash and not put everything in to the ADAM.

The guys that were contracted to do the design of the CV literally designed it pc like to have an open bus for future devices like these. Take a look at what Eduardo is doing with his CV expansion to get a feel for how it could have been expanded if Coleco had survived the crash and not put everything in to the ADAM.

Ultimately though (while it may have seemed like a good idea), designing the CV to be like a PC turned out to be a bad idea. Not just for Coleco, but for the industry in general. Once console makers started saying "look, our console can also be turned in to a PC", the general public decided they might as well skip buying a console -- and just buy a PC to in the first place. This lead to a lot of confusion among the general public, and ended up contributing in large part to the "great video game crash".

So there's a good reason to this day why consoles are designed NOT to be like PCs (at least externally -- internally they can of course be PC-like). Console makers learned the hard way that consumers don't want their consoles to also be PCs.....

Edited by else

Ultimately though (while it may have seemed like a good idea), designing the CV to be like a PC turned out to be a bad idea. Not just for Coleco, but for the industry in general. Once console makers started saying "look, our console can also be turned in to a PC",

I was not stating anything about being turned in to a personal computer.

the general public decided they might as well skip buying a console -- and just buy a PC to in the first place. This lead to a lot of confusion among the general public, and ended up contributing in large part to the "great video game crash".

So there's a good reason to this day why consoles are designed NOT to be like PCs (at least externally -- internally they can of course be PC-like).

Umm, I was talking internally. Not sure what you were interpreting my statement to mean. ;)

Ultimately though (while it may have seemed like a good idea), designing the CV to be like a PC turned out to be a bad idea. Not just for Coleco, but for the industry in general. Once console makers started saying "look, our console can also be turned in to a PC", the general public decided they might as well skip buying a console -- and just buy a PC to in the first place. This lead to a lot of confusion among the general public, and ended up contributing in large part to the "great video game crash".

So there's a good reason to this day why consoles are designed NOT to be like PCs (at least externally -- internally they can of course be PC-like). Console makers learned the hard way that consumers don't want their consoles to also be PCs.....

That's a very interesting point; I don't think I ever thought of that as a cause for the crash. I'm pretty sure the wiki entry on the crash doesn't even say anything about that. I didn't live during the crash, but I can picture what you're talking about; if Nintendo started pushing the Wii as something that can also teach you math and abcs, you'd be less likely to ask for it for Christmas and might actually resent its link to education.

-Adam

I love the ColecoVision. It's just the pain in the ass RCA jack that pisses me off. You have to jiggle it in order to get a clear picture.

I have found that also. I tried the gold contact cables which made no difference.

The ColecoVision is one of the worst consoles for reliability EVER! Hell it almost beats the PS2 and 360.

I had the same rca plug problem on 4 of my CV'S.I opened up the modulator box inside at back of console,and reflowed all the cracked solder joints inside box.I now have rock solid picture,like new.

Edited by Rik

I think the colecovision is fun too. The coleco versions of venture and mouse trap blow the 2600's version out of the water, and the coleco donkey kong too.

Of course coleco would blow atari away. I dont get why people would compare the 2. the coleco was by far much more superior to the 2600. its a huge step up, like dvd to blu ray. atari was also coleco's competitor and they would naturally make a game that looks worse on a competitor to make the coleco look great.

I think the colecovision is fun too. The coleco versions of venture and mouse trap blow the 2600's version out of the water, and the coleco donkey kong too.

Of course coleco would blow atari away. I dont get why people would compare the 2. the coleco was by far much more superior to the 2600. its a huge step up, like dvd to blu ray. atari was also coleco's competitor and they would naturally make a game that looks worse on a competitor to make the coleco look great.

I might add that in journalism (magazines) and also amongst friends we never compared the two. It wasn't even in our minds. We were so hungry for a better system back then that the only two consoles we ever compared together were the Atari 5200 and the Colecovision. Back then we didnt care anymore about the 2600, we seriously wanted to move on.

It sounds like the "perfect storm." PCs were becoming accessible to consumers and console makers were spreading themselves thin. I think the former is the biggest reason, but I question if the money that could have been saved in R&D along with manufacturing failing products would have kept Coleco afloat to compete with the NES.

It would have been nice if the coleco could have been around a little longer but the mistakes companies made were pretty steep.

I switched to a "PC" in 1985, which by the way were not called that back then. They were called microcomputers (home computers)

Nowadays its pretty much a PC mainly because of IBM's popularity of the PC in the later 80's and early 90's.

I think every one of my friends switched to a "microcomputer", we simply didn't want to play the limited games that were on consoles. Plus copying and pirating games was HUGE back then.

If you were a gamer you had to get a computer, no doubt about it.

The NES brought the fun back into consoles. It was slightly better than some computers when it came to pure arcade games etc. IMO.

Edited by cimerians

The 2600 was obviously not an 8-bit translation.

:?:

This statement of mine in context, was in reference to the ATARI 2600 version of Tutankham as NOT being an 8-bit game, by mere graphical comparison(Do you think it is?). The only "obvious" thing now is that my over-generalizing about "bitness" got me into some technical deepwater...

I guess even though the ColecoVision was along with the 2600 and Intelvision one of the most sucsessful pre-crash of '83 systems, Coleco as a company did more damage to the industry then Atari, then effectivly did more damage to themselves then Atari, Coleco went bust in '89 and were never restored, Atari went bust in '96 and were restored in '98, though In the end, Atari turned out to be more famous and sucsessful then Coleco, mostly due to the sucsess of the 2600.

One Game: GATEWAY TO APSHAI.

Its the best port for any system. You have all the control at your finger tips.

I was also impressed with Burgertime (altho I think the Intellivision is the best port) and Pepper II. What a great game Pepper II is.

I'm breaking out my steering wheel tonight for TURBO, BUMP N JUMP, and PITSTOP. I remember PITSTOP being A+ material.

The Atari changer (CV Port #1) is great cuz you can play your atari games while your messing around with your CV. I also have the Intellivision system changer for the same reason. You can pick up the CV #1 atari changer for $10 at gaming shows... well worth it, no doubt. Ive never used the super action controllers, cant comment.

Oh, and I have the trackball in the box with Slither... I'm gonna break that out tonight with Slither and Centipede.

I have SLURPY, ARTILLERY DUAL and ROBINHOOD... i dont think they're all that. OILS WELL is great tho. Sierra On Line was also gold!

I have about 35 games, but after this upcoming convention on May 24th in Cleveland I hope to have more.

I found that sometimes my CV overheats and freezes the game. Total bunk.

Anybody have any doubles they wanna trade/sell cheap???

I wanna play Moustrap on the CV... looks awesome!!!

-- Delmoko