IGNORED

What's the dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about an old game

I'm constantly amazed by how people can participate in this hobby and not have a CLUE about anything more than three years old. Nintendo doesn't exactly keep the history of Zelda games secret, either. In the same way, I wonder how people can go see movies based on old TV shows and NOT know there's a TV show involved. WTF?

When I was a kid, I used to get into arguments over the original Mario Bros., insisting that there WAS a Mario game before SMB. All the kids at my school called it "Mario 1", which to them meant that there could be no game prior to that one. And this was when the NES was still in full swing!

I was also explaining to my nephew that when he goes out and buys a game that he should buy a good game and not games based off of movies or TV shows (I know some are good, but as a general rule, it's easy to find something better). Then he turned around and said "But you do all the time! You have a lot of Sonic games and Mortal Kombat. You even have Doom!" I was like, "Uhh, no. The Sonic show was based off the games. And the Mortal Kombat and Doom movies were based off the games too"

I don't really know why, but stuff like that REALLY pisses me off... mind you, I'm a very calm person, so I won't yell or anything like that, but it really breaks my heart in some way, it almost physically hurts to hear something like that and at the same time I feel sorry for that poor soul... ;)

Some instances I remember:

Just having some chatter with a friend, he tells me he just played some Doom. And I'm like "Cool, yeah that's really fun." and "What a coincidence I also played Doom again last week." just going on talking a little about Doom, then I said "Do you go try to find all the secrets? I've really a hard time finding some of them, sometimes I rather finish the level instead of keeping to search..." and then I noticed he was really perplexed and it turned out, all the time he was talking about Doom 3 while I was talking about the original Doom! For god's sake, if you talk about a sequel, name it appropiately. After all, he DID know it was a sequel but just thought if he said "Doom" I would automatically assume he's talking about Doom 3. (Why would I?)

So another instance, ironically with that same person, nearly the same thing, but this time he honestly didn't know about the previous games. It was Prince of Persia, he explicitly referred to one of the modern Prince of Persia incarnationss calling it "Prince of Persia 1", I was like "Yeah, I remember it, we played that to death when we were little...", he again totally perplexed, he NEVER before heard of Prince of Persia 1 and 2... But AGAIN he argued I should have known he talked about one of the newer games, because those are so old, "they don't count"... WHAT? They don't count? *shiver*

One last thing, again the same person, we were playing Super Mario World on the SNES and then I showed him that one funny Super Mario Bros. Flash-Video ("Mario Twins") and he was like "Mhhh, I guess those enemies [Goombas] are from Super Mario World 2"... However, this was rather funny.

Edited by Herbarius

I remember reading a review of the speccy version of pacman in some UK games magazine and they said it was better then any of the Atari versions

Clearly the person concerned had never played either the A8 or 5200 version which is comparable or on a par with the speccy version

Edited by carmel_andrews

It's threads like these that make me want to kill everyone under 16 with a Whiffle Bat and a Nail Gun; no nails.

/eyetwitch

They aren't always ignorant kids, sometimes they're just misinformed adults:

The worst thing I think I have heard was when I was standing in line at Funcoland (probably 10+ years ago) waiting to check out. There was a middle-aged guy in front of me who was talking with the Funcoland employee while everything was getting rung up - he basically was trying to tell the employee about the progression of video games saying, "First there was the Atari 2600, then the 7800. Then Atari turned into Sega because if you look at the ports on the Sega Genesis and Atari, you can see that they are the same." He went on like this for awhile, butchering video gaming history worse than anybody else I'd ever heard/known while the employee just patiently listened and got his purchases together, but at least the guy was just misinformed and wasn't ranting about how bad old games "suck".

Surprisingly enough, when I was in high school (late 90's, early 2000's), I would bring in my Atari 2600 every so often - I don't think I remember anybody really bashing it. In fact, people wanted to PLAY it - so I guess I was pretty lucky in that respect.

*reads whole thread*

... D:

I'm glad I'm not ignorant like the kids in your stories guys. I respect the oldies and actually prefer them to the current gen.

I don't really have any stories to tell but I have enjoyed reading everyone elses, however heart breaking they may be. ;(

Back when the Virtual boy first came out I played through Wario Land over a few days and was on the last level. Now anyone that's played the game knows, there are several save slots, and any game that does I save in more than one slot. In this instance I had saved in all three slots so no problem right? Well, one of my friends wanted me to bring it over and see what it was like, well OK, that's cool. I was hopeing that maybe they would get one.

Well, they got a little brother that does jackass shit like "accidentally" erase all your saved games, and they wanted to play. Well, knowing their history I naturally said no, but they pissed and moaned and whined untill their dumbshit daddy told me to let them play with it, and I even told him about their history and they said they wouldn't.

Well, you pretty much know the rest and as the system bothers the eyes, I never have finished that game. What pisses me off the most is the daddy acts all like "well it's not like they meant it" I just told him it was bullshit. Seriously, where do people get the Idea that because your not going to sell something that it has no value?

Wonderfully that kid got his nose broke by some other kid he pulled that stunt with so I just had to laugh my ass off about that. Needless to say Dad was pissed, though there wasn't much he could do about it, and the kid learned a little bit that stuck with him to this day.

It's threads like these that make me want to kill everyone under 16 with a Whiffle Bat and a Nail Gun; no nails.

/eyetwitch

The worst thing I think I have heard was when I was standing in line at Funcoland (probably 10+ years ago) waiting to check out. There was a middle-aged guy in front of me who was talking with the Funcoland employee while everything was getting rung up - he basically was trying to tell the employee about the progression of video games saying, "First there was the Atari 2600, then the 7800. Then Atari turned into Sega because if you look at the ports on the Sega Genesis and Atari, you can see that they are the same." He went on like this for awhile, butchering video gaming history worse than anybody else I'd ever heard/known while the employee just patiently listened and got his purchases together, but at least the guy was just misinformed and wasn't ranting about how bad old games "suck".

Surprisingly enough, when I was in high school (late 90's, early 2000's), I would bring in my Atari 2600 every so often - I don't think I remember anybody really bashing it. In fact, people wanted to PLAY it - so I guess I was pretty lucky in that respect.

What kind of school let you bring in a game system and play it?!!?!?

/eyetwitch

What kind of school let you bring in a game system and play it?!!?!?

My school does so long as you have a free period.

I have had a person tell me that The C-128 version of Accolades Test Drive looked like the Atari 2600 version.

He actually argued with me about it for an hour, so I dropped it in the interest of public relations.

but all in all the Atari 2600 had some pretty great examples of nice graphics just look at anything Activision made or Arcadia to name a just a couple of decent publishers.

Carl

It's disturbing knowing that there are people out there that think game systems from barely over 10 years ago would sell for "like $800 bucks, man."

As wrongheaded as it is, it's also not a new concept. It was happening 10 years ago for systems that THEN weren't even 10 years old.

The only negative I ever got on eBay would sum this one all up. It was removed, thankfully, but I once got a negative because the bidder didn't like the graphics on the 2600 version of Burgertime, and he said that.

Clearly you deserved it. Why did you program Burgertime with such poor graphics?

Mostly I just here the same old "those games suck cause their old" (even in cases where their just playing a graphical version of the same game) or the graphics suck. I swear, I must be the only person around my neck of the woods that likes how that old stuff looked.

Could a mod delete my previous post? My network crashed when I was posting and it ended up in the wrong topic :P Thanks.

Meh it kinda fist in this topic. BTW your network didn't crash. Atariage fucked up. It did the same to me.

Wow, that sucks man :lol: but explains a lot.

Jackass: Anything not on a disc is gay

Me: why is that?

Jackass: because it's old

After that it was just a 5 minute argument as to why I think he's a moron

You shouldve pulled out your Stellacharger, CD player, and Worship the Woodgrain CD's then :D

I've drawn crawds arount Donkey Kong before. And the stupidest thing I've ever heard said about old games was on a youtube video where someone was using Megaman 2 in an attempt to demonstrate how bad the NES sucks.

I gotta laugh at people like that, in 10 years, nobodynwill even care or recognize the xbox 360. The NES and the 2600 however, will still be alive and well for years to come.

Moreover, in 10 years there probably won't be any functioning Xbox 360s left to bother recognizing. ;)

*contemplates buying an Xbox 360, leaving it NIB, and waiting 10 years*

Edited by Ben_Larson