IGNORED

Beyond Castlevania...

OK got a crazy idea from a McDonald's toy. Once upon a time Mc D's had about 5 or 6 handheld LCD videogames. They have actually done this a few times and for one of thoes times the theme was SEGA ips one of which was spyro andwas the most elaborate for a cheap toy. Anyway I have one and the unique thing about it is it was in color and you had to pass light through it to see it. there was a pullaway panel so you could play inn the sunlight. To top it all of it was a 3d maze game. Some of you may know of this game. Well, I decided to draw out this digital screen because I go the idea of doing a 3d game engine based on the principals of so-called "sectioning off" areas and enough areas in a table can be called up to render as such. Anyway I wanted to post this pic hoping others could see what I see in the potential of inspiration from it I was getting.

post-10601-0-81607700-1300669474_thumb.png

I think you may have successfully stumped everyone with this. :D Not being familiar with the toy at all, I searched around a bit, but couldn't find any pics showing the screen, or even a video... no surprise there. As you probably already know, A 3D maze game is possible as seen with

or
by Eric Ball. A game that looked like that Spyro one who be nice to see. :)

OK got a crazy idea from a McDonald's toy. Once upon a time Mc D's had about 5 or 6 handheld LCD videogames. They have actually done this a few times and for one of thoes times the theme was SEGA ips one of which was spyro andwas the most elaborate for a cheap toy. Anyway I have one and the unique thing about it is it was in color and you had to pass light through it to see it. there was a pullaway panel so you could play inn the sunlight. To top it all of it was a 3d maze game. Some of you may know of this game. Well, I decided to draw out this digital screen because I go the idea of doing a 3d game engine based on the principals of so-called "sectioning off" areas and enough areas in a table can be called up to render as such. Anyway I wanted to post this pic hoping others could see what I see in the potential of inspiration from it I was getting.

I think you may have successfully stumped everyone with this. :D Not being familiar with the toy at all, I searched around a bit, but couldn't find any pics showing the screen, or even a video... no surprise there. As you probably already know, A 3D maze game is possible as seen with

or
by Eric Ball. A game that looked like that Spyro one who be nice to see. :)

Here is an amazon link with images of the games but none of the screens. :( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XUO4GK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=atariage&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003XUO4GK

Yes, I've played skeleton and even merlin's walls all of which are great games.

The 'inspiration' I was getting from this game, led me back to and old game I discovered when I was a young teenager in an old computer programing magazine called "Lumpies of Lotis 4". There never was a 1 2 or 3 Ththe name was just completely random. It was written out in I think GW basic for IBM PC junior. I had tried to get it working on a Tandy long ago but to no avail. I tried to take the games description and images as a template for programing it in basic for a commodore 64. I got many of the graphics done, but back then my logical mind wasn't very logical in that I couldn't figure out how to store data in tables and arrays for maze navigation. However I figured out that I could draw out every possible screen that would be seen in the maze world which totaled around 32 screens. Nothing had to be processed just displayed from the list of images.

Between the way LCD games work (prerendered screens with everything about the game present) and the way I was doing the old game Lumpies of Lotis 4, a rather advanced looking 3d maze could be done with bB. If The screen was virtually sectioned by 4 collumns (byte width) and 5 to 7 sections tall as a grid, then as one would move through a maze, there would be spaces of the maze each having 4 major directions depending on which way you were facing. Each space in the maze has a small list of addresses which tells the memory reserved for the screen which groups to load to 'build' the screen for the area you are in. I even wanted to throw in the ability to have sub 45 degree transition shift instead of just strait 90 degree 4 directions.

I found it! Lumpies of Lotis 4 is playable in your browser here http://lumpiesoflotis.com/cgi-bin/lumpies.cgi Its rather neat. I still haven't got past the first level. More inspiration, I love it!

Ah yes... Ye Olde Dungeon crawl. :D Similar to Moraff's Revenge, and many AD&D games like Pool of Radiance for the PC, and even more closely related to

for the TurboGrafx-16.

there was an actual d&d lcd game way back when, mattel also re-made the game with he-man themed graphics. pretty advanced gameplay for a lil lcd, imho...

Man that is the funniest /scariest thing all day, I was just watching He-Man on youtube channel before I came here. I remember that game of Heman too. I always liked LCD games . I even designed a few LCD game screens back in the day. SMB2, sonic spinball, and a few others. I even tried to reconstruct donkey kong junior based on some screen shots from a game magazine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I recently came across this screenie you posted in a search. I had been working on a java program for doing a 3d dungeon game, I was thinking along the lines of something like Dungeon Master , but I had been kicking around the idea of making it a "simulation" of a handheld lcd game (either real or fake). I'm very interested in the gameplay of this Spyro game and if you could possibly post some videos or a scan of the manual or some kind of description, I'd be very grateful. I'd like to see if this is fits the bill of the kind of program I'm looking to write.

I already began working on the skeleton of the graphics handling (calculating relative coordinates based on the player's position, and orientation). So I'm not so far in that I can't go in a variety of directions, and this looks like it might have simple enough gameplay to test this thing out on, then allow me to move on with engine in a totally different direction if I wish.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

I have this Spyro game at home, but I've never played it. I found it in a box of SMS stuff that I bought from a market.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, Later this year I'll have a major update for castlevania. But in the mean time, I had an idea from a while back and decided to do a mock up of it just for show (proof of concept). I would love to see it as a real game someday. If anyone would like to run with it, be my guest. Make it your own. If not, I may attempt it someday but not anytime soon. I'm sure many of you will know what game inspired this one. I call it Quantumetric Wars. hope ya'll like it.

post-10601-0-42518700-1325717559_thumb.png

When I was little, my dad got a vic 20 in the styrofoam with power supply, but I didn't have any software to run on it. At that time the C=64 was my thing and I had crap loads of disks for it. He eventualy sold it shortly after geting it. I also had a C= +4 which wound up in the same boat. However, my dad had the newest system from Commodore a 128D. This thing was cool because of the diffrent modes it ran in. Once, I even had to code it by hand from a gaming mag for a game I wanted to play.

Which emulator would you recomend for a vic 20?

I'll look up some info on the game in the mean time.

• 1 month later...
My best today was 40 seconds, but I know people can do much better than that. :) I fixed two tiny bugs, and also made it so the timer will stop counting down when you "win", so that way, you can brag with a screenshot. -John

Just wondering if this is still being worked on or if you plan to come back to it soon. It was looking really good.

My best today was 40 seconds, but I know people can do much better than that. :) I fixed two tiny bugs, and also made it so the timer will stop counting down when you "win", so that way, you can brag with a screenshot. -John

Just wondering if this is still being worked on or if you plan to come back to it soon. It was looking really good.

Well, I only designed the game screens but Propane13 did the coding. Last I heard, he had been looking into adapting it to another similar style game. However, at the time, I think he had a few other things going that took priority.

Yeah, I got busy writing an original 7800 game.

There's a lot of map/level generation in it which is really burdensome/tiring, but in the end I hope it's worth it.

Apart from that, I have a mechanical project I'm working on that has nothing to do with Atari at all.

When those are done, I'll revisit old links-- who knows what could happen? :)

-John

Man been forever since i've posted. had an extremely crappy year. I got alot of stuff that will keep me away from any of my ongoing work. And yes castlevania is still at the forefront of my game work but it is still far off for a while atm. I had some strange drive to create an image even though I haven't had the time or the drive to do any artwork prior to the drive. lol so I just wanted to share the image for inspiration to others. here ya go.

post-10601-129687280789_thumb.png

added a few new images and updated what was there just a bit. Funny that this original post was #100.

post-10601-0-62504300-1330609402_thumb.png

post-10601-0-66090400-1330609427_thumb.png

post-10601-0-57904100-1330609451_thumb.png

post-10601-0-12618900-1330609475_thumb.png

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
Yeah, I got busy writing an original 7800 game.

There's a lot of map/level generation in it which is really burdensome/tiring, but in the end I hope it's worth it.

Apart from that, I have a mechanical project I'm working on that has nothing to do with Atari at all.

When those are done, I'll revisit old links-- who knows what could happen? :)

-John

Uh huh... so now I think I see what you were talking about. Awesome awesome work!

I just want to put a bug in yer ear that I (and many others) really hope to see more of Marble Madness & Arkanoid when you're ready. :)

The startings of a battle screen.

post-10601-0-55610500-1330841450_thumb.png

Such a tease! :lol:

• 6 years later...
  • 6 months later...
On 2/28/2011 at 5:56 AM, Propane13 said:

My best today was 40 seconds, but I know people can do much better than that. :)

I fixed two tiny bugs, and also made it so the timer will stop counting down when you "win", so that way, you can brag with a screenshot.

-John

marble_2011_02_28.zipUnavailable

We'll be featuring the WIP Marble Madness arcade port for the Atari 2600 LIVE on tomorrow's (Wednesday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- The End 2600 (2019 WIP Exclusive Premiere) by Carlos aka RaymanC
- Heist (2019 Final Release) by TXmarsh
- Marble Madness (2011 WIP) by John K Harvey aka Propane13 and grafixbmp
- Kelly Kangaroo (2018 WIP) by Denebola Interactive

Archive Video of Stream

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew