IGNORED

Nintendo DS or DSi

I personally do not see anything in the DSi that is worth the extra money, in fact, I am still more than happy with my launch day DS.

I think ye should. See it has two touch screen and cool things. I do not know if it can run the old DS games though.

It ONLY plays DS games (and only has one touch screen). The DSi only software is the downloadable stuff.

I really like my DSi (upgraded from an original Phat DS). It's much more comfortable to hold, the screens are bigger and brighter, and the DSi Ware games have a lot of potential. If I really wanted to play GBA games or use an R4 or something the lack of the GBA slot would be a dealbreaker, but for me it's perfect. That said, I would not have upgraded if I had a DS Lite.

Personally I would go with the DSi unless you really want GBA games on the go (and don't want to buy an SP or GBA Player). DSi Ware will have some cool stuff, the screens are bigger and the little bonus stuff (cameras, sound editor, the cool interface) are just bonuses.

I have both the DS Lite and the DSi. The DSi is a very good bet, however, because it lacks a GBA slot you can't play Dual Slot compatibility games like Pokemon nor can you use the Rumble Pak on Rumble Pak games like Metroid Prime Hunters and Mario And Luigi: Partners In Time.

So to decide you need weigh out whether or not you want access to GBA compatibility and if that's not an issue to you and you don't care, then I definitely say go with the DSi. It's definitely worth the money you'll pay.

@aikiannet: Didn't the DS and DS Lite also only have one Touch Screen? O_O

Edited by Atari6660

I don't know what some of you are talking about, of course the DSi plays DS games and has two screens. I've owned a DS phat and then a DS Lite, whoever said the DS phat is enough is totally wrong. It's okay and I had tons of fun with mine, but the increased brightness of the DS lite makes it way better, the games are sharper, more colorful easier on the eyes etc...

As far as the DS Lite vs DSi, the DSi has larger and brighter screens so that sells it for me. That said I am not rushing out to buy one. I am really happy with my DS lite, and will wait till the price comes down on the DSi. If money is no object between the two get a DSi, it has downloadable games, a brighter and larger screen + the ability to play games with a slightly faster cpu. It's a no brainer... now if you are trying to save money or you are basically poor (like me) then now is a great time to pick up a used DS Lite as lots of people are selling them cheap on Craigslist and the like.

If GBA compatibility is an issue, buy a GBA SP2 (and you can play GB/GBC too). There are tons of great games on the DS you dont need to play GBA games with it. The rumble thing is WAY over rated... don't even worry about it.

Notice I didn't mention the camera/cam or music playback, I can't see using a DS to do either of those things, so they aren't even a consideration, but you have that as an extra bonus. You can buy a flashcart with 8gb memory for less than 20 bucks to do the music/movie thing and run homebrews and even "backups" of 100's of your fav games if you want on the DS Lite if that interests you anyway.

If GBA compatibility is an issue, buy a GBA SP2 (and you can play GB/GBC too). There are tons of great games on the DS you dont need to play GBA games with it. The rumble thing is WAY over rated... don't even worry about it.

This is a great suggestion. The GBA or GBA SP2 are great units on their own, and since the DS doesn't support GB/GBC anyway, you'll still need two units. If you get a DSi, strongly consider going this route.

BTW, I have a first-gen DS and a GBA. I'm very happy with this setup. :D

Unless you just want a dedicated DS, I'd get a regular DS or a lite, and stay away from the DSi.

I do like it's slightly bigger screen though, but I never had problems with the DS screens anyways so...

There's just to much I do with my DS to er...."upgrade" to the DSi

I don't like Acekard. That or DealExtreme is to blame but I was sent all the tools I needed for DS and GBA Emulation and the products sent all arrived in faulty, unworking conditions and then DealExtreme refused to help me when I asked for a replacement or a refund.

DSi isn't really the horror people (including myself) thought it would be.

plays all "old" DS games just fine, and the GBA slot is hardly a loss if you do in fact have a GBA, SP, or hell, even a Micro..

Here are the best choices to make, in my opinion..

If you have no DS at all, might as well jump on the current wagon and go for the DSi.

If you have the "Phat" DS, an upgrade would be very considerable.

If you (this is probably the majority) have a DS Lite, I wouldn't upgrade just yet, but consider the DSi in the future if the price drops. The interface is awesome, and the extra features are entertaining.. the DSiWare content still leaves a little to be desired, but hey, it's only been a month..

I have a DSi. It has two screens, but only one is a touch screen. The downloadable games are unique to the DSi, but there will also be DSi "enhanced" carts as well as DSi "exclusive" carts. (Sort of like the Gameboy Color.) Neither type has yet been seen in North America. The screens on the DSi are larger, though they are the same resolution. The DSi also has a free web browser available, which is actually quite cool.

All DS games are compatible with the DSi, but extra hardware that used the GBA slot cannot be used. In practice, this makes Guitar Hero unplayable. That's about the only game that has that problem, AFAIK. (Other than the DS web browser, but the new system has one built in.)

Here's my 2 cents:

* If you have a DS already, there's no reason to upgrade yet. The system appears to have been released in a hurry and doesn't yet have much exclusive software available. Even the DSiShop downloads are kind of weak.

* If you don't have a DS, get a DSi! The DSi is the next generation of Nintendo handheld. If you get a DS Lite, you'll be kicking yourself when the new games come along for only the DSi.

As others have mentioned, getting a GBA is a better solution for classic games. A GBA or GBA SP will serve you much better, and will play old GameBoy games. The Micro is another option, but it doesn't offer multisystem compatibility.

I have a DSi. It has two screens, but only one is a touch screen. The downloadable games are unique to the DSi, but there will also be DSi "enhanced" carts as well as DSi "exclusive" carts. (Sort of like the Gameboy Color.) Neither type has yet been seen in North America. The screens on the DSi are larger, though they are the same resolution. The DSi also has a free web browser available, which is actually quite cool.

All DS games are compatible with the DSi, but extra hardware that used the GBA slot cannot be used. In practice, this makes Guitar Hero unplayable. That's about the only game that has that problem, AFAIK. (Other than the DS web browser, but the new system has one built in.)

Here's my 2 cents:

* If you have a DS already, there's no reason to upgrade yet. The system appears to have been released in a hurry and doesn't yet have much exclusive software available. Even the DSiShop downloads are kind of weak.

* If you don't have a DS, get a DSi! The DSi is the next generation of Nintendo handheld. If you get a DS Lite, you'll be kicking yourself when the new games come along for only the DSi.

As others have mentioned, getting a GBA is a better solution for classic games. A GBA or GBA SP will serve you much better, and will play old GameBoy games. The Micro is another option, but it doesn't offer multisystem compatibility.

Didn't he other two ds units have only one touch screen? No need really to have 2. The top one is to watch and the bottom acts as part of the controls when your not using buttons.

I have both a DS Lite and a DSi. I am looking forward to the additional content and DSi exclusive games whenever they come out. It makes a good second system to play multiplayer with the family and when a friends stops by.

DSi's camera is the perfect thing for me right now... everyday I snap a few pics of my son and take them to work and show them off... and when I miss the little guy I just slap it into slide show on my desk and watch. By the way my son is 7 weeks old and it's amazing how much he changes day to day. :)

• 2 months later...
I would suggest you go with the DSi, as it has features such as the shop that can only grow better and better, along with the handy web browser. Or you could go with the sturdy phat DS. I'd stay away from the DS lite though.

I don't agree with this at all. The DS Phat shouldn't even be a consideration. I had one since launch, and the DS Lite has far superior screens. If I were to buy a DS now, I would probably go with the DSi, not for the cameras or download service (since neither has been fully realized yet although both have potential) but for the larger/brighter screens. Also the faster cpu in DSi mode, 2 cameras and download service mean eventually there will probably be some good downloadable games for the DSi that you can't play on a reg DS. If money is a concern or you have a big library of GBA games the DS lite is a great portable too...

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I am a bit late on this Atari6660, but I was letting the OP know that it only had 1 touch screen instead of 2 like another poster said :)

Anyways, It really is up to you OP on which you would like. IMO I would go to your favorite game store and see if they will let you hold and or try out each one and see which you like better.