IGNORED

Retro Game Challenge

Is anyone playing this game right now? It was released in February for the ds. It has eight eight bit games on it. Two racing games, two space shooters, one that plays like Galaga, an rpg that plays like Dragon Quest, and three action games, one that plays like Ninja Gaiden did on the NES and SMS. You have to do certain challenges in each game to unlock the next game. Right now I'm working on the rpg. It's the seventh game on the cartridge. The next one is the one that plays like Ninja Gaiden and the final challenge is to beat all eight games. If you have a ds you should get a copy of this game. It's replay value is almost as high as the Mario games on the NES.

It is an excellent buy for the DS. The funny thing is, the original title is "Game Center CX: Arino's Challenge". It's based somewhat off the television show of the same name in Japan. The show's about a comedian who challenges himself to various retro games (mostly for the Famicom). He's become a celebrity there, had both DVDs of his show and a book published, and is officially an employee of Namco-Bandai Games (the original company who put out RGC).

There's some subtitled episodes on Youtube.

I haven't played it yet but I have seen it played. I even looked it up, all the games are modeled after classic games but none of the games in this game ever existed in real life.

But it looks like a real good game so I really want to play it soon!!! ^_^

Played it.. finished it. I liked it a lot although I had to activate both the invincibility & no-opponents cheat in the car game to get through them.. I didnt like playing that one at all :lol:

Too bad it doesn't look like the sequel is going to make it here to the states though.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the bump, but XSeed or whatever their name is has never said we wouldn't get part 2.

All they've said is that the sales of this one aren't there yet to justify bringing a sequel out over here and that the game needs to sell and have word of mouth keep spreading how good the game is to reach that point. They've been pleased with the critical response the title has recieved and are impressed with all the positive feedback they've recieved from gamers that have contacted them after enjoying the game.

Even if the game had taken off much more than it has, its only been on the market for 4 months or so after a well over year wait to reach on shores. Wouldn't be seeing part 2 anytime soon either way, so I don't see how its ready to declare the series stalled and think about importing the sequel. I'd consider importing if theres no word on a release a year from now, but its premature to give up hope for the sequel making it out over here (I don't see how it would be nearly as much fun with everything in Japanese from the dialog and manuals to the magazines anyways)..

For now, fans (Which I'm one of after buying the game a couple of weeks ago and enjoying it greatly the past couple of days) need to keep telling others about it to try to get more sales of the game and drop a note to XSeed to tell them how much you enjoyed the game and appreciated them publishing it (Which I did today with a email).

Its not too late for it to not be like Boom Blox, where it started out below initial sales expectations but stayed steady over a long period enough to become a success and justify a sequel.

Edited by Atariboy

I heard from one of my friends that the car game is murder to play. Lol. I'd definitely take the cheats if I ever get the game as well, lol.

Only Rally King and Rally King SP are hell to play. Cosmic Gate is easy if you played Galaxian. The first two Haggleman games are easy when you get the basics down. Star Prince, tough but very fun if ya like shooters. Guadia Quest is a punishing game. Haggleman 3, not too hard. Just keep the right Ninjutsu available and levels won't be too hard.

• 4 years later...

The homebrew Retro Game Challenge 2 localization patch is now available. :)

http://www.gccxpatch.com/

This is one bootleg I'd love to end up owning.

I wish I could beat Retro Game Challenge. Revisited it recently to attempt to reach the ending of the final game on it since I never did for the last challenge of the game (Reaching all endings). Got sick of Haggleman 3 once again though and used the cheat code to reach the last boss. But without some of the powerups found on the way, he's just a bit too tough to beat although I just almost make it.

Really liked Rally King, Cosmic Gate, and Star Prince.

Edited by Atariboy