IGNORED

im considering buying an intellivision....

xg4bx

There are several must-have games for the Intellivision

Burgertime

Advanced D&D (cloudy mountain)

Beamrider (although this game is also very good on the Atari)

Utopia

Thunder Castle

Space Battle

The Intellivision was really known for its sports titles during the early 80s. Several titles are very good but most of them require 2 players. In addition, sports titles in general have a harder task in passing the test of time. However, both MLB Baseball and NFL Football were excellent games for their time.

There's also a small homebrew scene but I'm not aware of any that are currently available. Expect to pay lots of $$$ if you want to get these...

4-Tris

Space Patrol

Same Game/Robots

Robot Rubble

Stonix

Minehunter

League of Light

what are the must have titles for the system? is there any type of homebrew scene? what are some good intellivision internet sites? thanks.

Shark! Shark! is an excellent exclusive title on the Intellivision (it was programmed by a woman, just like Centipede, and so it appeals to women).

Atlantis is probably my favorite game for the system, and one of my all-time favorite games period. I almost didn't buy this game because I was always very indifferent about the 2600 version; it didn't offer nearly as much control as Missile Command. But the Intellivision Atlantis actually offers MORE control than Missile Command. Anytime you allow enemies to get to close to you, you can deploy your UFO spaceship thing that can move around and shoot at enemies. This game is excellent.

Vectron is an interesting exclusive game as well that is pretty cheap. It's worth checking out just because of its strange premise (its tough to describe really).

Burgertime as someone else mentioned is great. Diner, its sequel, is also pretty good, but expect to pay around $30 for this one.

Also, someone suggested "B52 Bomber" but I believe he meant B-17 Bomber; that one is regarded as one of the better games as well. I haven't played it yet. It looks very complex though.

-Adam

thanks for the recommendations. of all the games listed ive only ever played thunder castle on the intellivision lives compilation and it was awesome. im sure its even better on the actual hardware.

Here's a list of my favorites. Most are easy to come across.

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons

Lock 'n' Chase

Night Stalker

Shark! Shark!

Tron Deadly Discs

Space Spartans (requires IntelliVoice)

Star Strike

Major League Baseball (if you have someone to play against) *There is World Championship Baseball which allows play against the CPU but it's ridiculously easy.

BurgerTime

Dig Dug

Diner

Thunder Castle

Beamrider

Pitfall!

Donkey Kong Jr.

Frogger

Q*bert

Mind Strike (requires ECS)

These two sites provide some good info:

http://www.intellivisionlives.com/

http://www.intvfunhouse.com/

Edited by darthkur

I agree with most of the games posted, but I'd say put the ported games (Donkey Kong Jr. and the like) low on your list. Unless you fall in love with the Intellivision controller, you'll be sorely disappointed in many of them.

But the games that were actually made for the Intellivision and use its controller to advantage tend to be very good.

A couple other games that are unique to the Intellivision are Swords and Serpents and Truckin'

I had an atari and my best friend had an intellivision when we were growing up. One summer we played a game of MLB baseball nearly every day. We also spent time playing Swords and Serpents. You'll need two people for that game also since one of you will be a fighter and the other a wizard. I haven't played it since then so it may not have the same appeal but we really liked it back then!

$25 shipped here. Disclaimer: my auction.

http://www.chasethechuckwagon.com/item.cgi...item=0000116913

what are the must have titles for the system? is there any type of homebrew scene? what are some good intellivision internet sites? thanks.

Burgertime as someone else mentioned is great. Diner, its sequel, is also pretty good, but expect to pay around $30 for this one.

-Adam

some of my fave on intv are:

popeye(looks better than atari)

white water

beauty and the beast

river raid

night stalker

dont forget to check out the imagic line up.14 titles and alot of them are xclusives!

This is an easy question. Pickup a Cuttle Cart 3 from here http://www.schells.com/cc3.shtml

I would also suggest this site to compliment the Cuttle Cart http://www.beeslife.com/intvgames/cc3/cc3.php

I would then focus on buying all of the Intv hardware (intellivoice, ecs computer, music keyboard).

With this setup you will be able to play every game that ever came out.

This is an easy question. Pickup a Cuttle Cart 3 from here http://www.schells.com/cc3.shtml

I would also suggest this site to compliment the Cuttle Cart http://www.beeslife.com/intvgames/cc3/cc3.php

I would then focus on buying all of the Intv hardware (intellivoice, ecs computer, music keyboard).

Eh there are only 10 or so must have games for the system (less in my opinion...unless you're a collector). It's more worth it to save your $150+ and just get some carts. I certainly haven't spent anywhere near $150 on all my stuff and I have basically every game I want

By the way, has anybody played the Intellivision version of Commando? I'd be interested in checking it out.

-Adam

Imagic Beauty and the Beast,and Dracula are quite good also.Oh yeah,do get the Intellivoice and all the voice games,because they're an important part of the INTV experience,for the nostalgiac aspect as well!

Edited by Rik

Kiwasabi said: "By the way, has anybody played the Intellivision version of Commando? I'd be interested in checking it out." Check it out if it is $2 or less. The only port of this that is playable is the 7800 version. All the others are just like the arcade, where you died for no apparent reason before you really got to look around and see what you were to do to play the game. I played the Intellivision cart three times then whipped it across the room. Enemy bullets that are almost the same color as the background was one obvious piss-me-off factor. Making a game this hard to stay alive, that has no continue feature, and no setting to give yourself 60 men, so you have a small chance...then there is the maddening disc-pad, you hardly ever steer or shoot where you think you are pressing. Waste no time looking for this INTV cart, just play it using the 7800 emulator. That is the only version that I found to be at least a little bit fun and do-able without dying every five seconds for seemingly no reason.

Most INTV carts are ruined by having your character move toooo sllooowww. Even on level four most games move like your man is pushing through molasses.

Out of all the ones I have had, these are the ones I kept, hardly enough to justify the space the whole deal takes up. Lock 'n' chase, Atlantis, Burgertime, Demon Attack, Space Battle, Pitfall, Loco-Motion, Bump 'n Jump, Venture, DK Junior, Beauty and the Beast, and Advanced D and D. These are all quite good. Many others got re-donated to second hand charity stores. Commando got the hammer smash. Mission X is ridiculously easy and seems to go nowhere, and Skiing is ok, Nova Blast is a lame Defender clone which also seems to have no point. Why I have kept those last three, no idea, I guess because they aren't too hard, and steer where you press with that damn circle. One of the absolute worst INTV carts is white label Pac-Man. It is sooo slooowww! You have to clear about 14 boards before it speeds up to the first board of the arcade version. The top is always missing off the screen, the sound is off and steering with the circle, you go where you think you are pushing about half the time.

When you consider the INTV was over $200 with tax, and carts were in the $35 to $45 range back in 1982, it is amazing that there are any games left to buy 27 years later, as so many of them sucked, and you could try them in store (at least here you could) before buying a cart. How did the ones that were impossible to steer, or stay alive get past testing groups, then past trying a game in store, and then parting with $50 before you had it home???

I crazy glued a one inch wooden dowel to the direction circle, and that has made the games that I kept playable, at least you can steer it! I haven't played this system in at least 18 months, time to hook it up again, with the few carts I though were good.

Don't do it!!!!

Why not? :)

Just my disdain for the Intellivision for trash-talking the 2600 in their ad campaigns...

So? No need to hold a 27-year old grudge.

Edited by ApolloBoy

Don't do it!!!!

Why not? :)

Just my disdain for the Intellivision for trash-talking the 2600 in their ad campaigns...

So? No need to hold a 27-year old grudge.

ez 4 u 2 say!

I know this is off-topic and chewing up the bandwidth in this thread, but I couldn't resist...also, I honestly do not find any Intellivision titles attractive. But, this is way off topic of the original post and I'll refrain from further postings...

Got me thinking,as you may already know or not,you gotta get an INTV if you like sports games.INTV blew away the 2600's earliest sports games.The commercials dissing the 2600 did at least have some merit.Then came the super and realsports titles for the the 2600 that were quite impressive.But i still believe,IMO,that Intv's sport games gameplay and sometimes graphics,are better than the 2600's

Got me thinking,as you may already know or not,you gotta get an INTV if you like sports games.INTV blew away the 2600's earliest sports games.The commercials dissing the 2600 did at least have some merit.Then came the super and realsports titles for the the 2600 that were quite impressive.But i still believe,IMO,that Intv's sport games gameplay and sometimes graphics,are better than the 2600's

Not comparing apples to apples here, but nowadays I do not find any of the retro sports games (up to and including the NES) worth playing. Conversely, I don't find any of the non-sports games worth playing on any system released after SNES. But, that's just MHO being the classic arcade bigot.

But yes, the INTV was most famous for their superior sports releases. But George Plimpton still bites...

Every new sports-related title was better than the one released before it. They were always in demand therefore making them an easy sell. I remember Atari's Football being in every kid's collection. Even though it was crap in retrospect, it was the 5h1t at the time. Real Sports Baseball came out and it was cutting edge at the time. NES Football came out and it too was a hit. I remember how easy it was and how long it took to run 80 yards for a touchdown.

Cool!