IGNORED

"Street Fighter III" for Jag

kool kitty89

I doubt the Jag could handle Street Fighter 3 third strike, I would say 2 Alpha would be a more realistic for the Jag's capabilties as that was on the CD32 and 3do, and I think (though not sure) the 32x.

Lol! You can't be serious ol' boy! That would be cake for the Jaggy.

We'd use the 68k and the blitter and OPL and beable to do that

game(with the GPU for list build and the DSP for sound/IO.)

Jag's trouble was never 2D. 3D is another story.

Now the cart size for a SF3 would be larger and expensive.

Then of course there is always the Skunk or Skunk/cart CD

combo to overcome the data memory issue.

Of the screen shots I've seen there is nothing in SF3 that would

be a problem on the Jag...it has more than enough power and

color to make a sweet version.

Also the Jaguar has twice the procesing power of a 3DO and 32X and

4 to 6 of the CD32.

Edited by Gorf

With pretty much all fighting games, on nearly all systems, the 'can it handle it' question generally comes down to how much memory you need to display the two characters. Jag had 2MB of RAM and 6MB of cart space, so it would probably need bank switching, but I can't see any other reason why it couldn't.

Now of course, third strike on the NES (for instance) would need a little help beyond just expanded memory, particularly with the full screen effects, and the graphics would suffer some, but it stands as a general rule.

I doubt the Jag could handle Street Fighter 3 third strike, I would say 2 Alpha would be a more realistic for the Jag's capabilties as that was on the CD32 and 3do, and I think (though not sure) the 32x.
Uhm... Do you mean Street Fighter Alpha 2? That didn't come out on CD32 or 3D0... Super Street Fighter II Turbo did come out on 3D0 though, and it was a damn fine port (the best outside of the arcades for a while, actually). Alpha 2 was neutered and ported to the SNES, but it was kinda painful... Also, you might wanna be more careful when you abbreviate; "Alpha 2" and (Zero) "2 Alpha" are two different Street Fighter games.

Uhm... Do you mean Street Fighter Alpha 2? That didn't come out on CD32 or 3D0... Super Street Fighter II Turbo did come out on 3D0 though, and it was a damn fine port (the best outside of the arcades for a while, actually). Alpha 2 was neutered and ported to the SNES, but it was kinda painful... Also, you might wanna be more careful when you abbreviate; "Alpha 2" and (Zero) "2 Alpha" are two different Street Fighter games.

Long standing SF fan I take it? ;)

I think it would be cool to port "Mugen" to the Jag some kind of way. The Jag is definetly able handle the graphics; it think it's just a matter of taking a look at how Neo Geo were able to push their system graphically especially around the end of the system life span. If I recall the Neo Geo didn't have as much RAM as the Jag, they basically turned everything into sprites, including the backgrounds, because their sprite hardware could display faster if the background were divided into 8x8 or 16x16 bit blocks. Cinepak works similarly only it uses between 4 to 8 compressable vectors within the aspect ratio criteria of an 8x8 bit block so the Jag is very much well able to handle Street Fighter 3.

Thought you guys would get a kick out of this:

SFIIIJaguar.png

Came up in a thread over at sega-16 http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.ph...7263&page=3

:lol: We need a release date man. This is some great stuff.

I think it would be cool to port "Mugen" to the Jag some kind of way. The Jag is definetly able handle the graphics; it think it's just a matter of taking a look at how Neo Geo were able to push their system graphically especially around the end of the system life span. If I recall the Neo Geo didn't have as much RAM as the Jag, they basically turned everything into sprites, including the backgrounds, because their sprite hardware could display faster if the background were divided into 8x8 or 16x16 bit blocks. Cinepak works similarly only it uses between 4 to 8 compressable vectors within the aspect ratio criteria of an 8x8 bit block so the Jag is very much well able to handle Street Fighter 3.

The Neo Geo was an all sprite system, the entire games were rendered with sprites, the backgrounds scroll layers ets. Also, the cart version didn't have much RAM (140 kB iirc), but it was a ROM monster, it did pretty much evrything decompressed in ROM. (hence the large and expensive cartridges) The Neo CD had to be a RAM monster to compensate for this, with a total of 7 MB distributed to various areas.

BTW are you also on sega-16? ("philiptwood" same avatar)

The Neo Geo was an all sprite system, the entire games were rendered with sprites, the backgrounds scroll layers ets. Also, the cart version didn't have much RAM (140 kB iirc), but it was a ROM monster, it did pretty much evrything decompressed in ROM. (hence the large and expensive cartridges) The Neo CD had to be a RAM monster to compensate for this, with a total of 7 MB distributed to various areas.

BTW are you also on sega-16? ("philiptwood" same avatar)

Yea... philipj is the name I kept here for sometime since about maybe 2004...? I never changed after all of these year but I decided to let all of my avatars be the same. I tried using "ace" as my user name here and at sega-16 which is the same name I use at another forum but some has already used it.

I guest the point I was trying to make is that the Jag is more then capable of handling Street Fighter 3 and I think most who know the system would certainly agree.

Long standing SF fan I take it? ;)
Kinda... But not particularly hardcore or anything. It's just that Alpha 2 is still one of my favourite fighting games, so when he said it was on CD32 and 3DO, I had to double check I hadn't somehow missed that.

I was wondering about that. I was just about to go looking for SFA2 in my CD32 library. Damn...

Tempest

I think it would be cool to port "Mugen" to the Jag some kind of way.

MUGEN would be a pretty nice port to any system -- problem is there's no source. (And I don't know if any of the open source attempts ever made it to the point of useful).

It's kind of sad, MUGEN worked well enough to dominate the homebrew fighting game scene but all progress was pretty much halted when the company pulled it. Anyone know if any of the open source attempts actually got anywhere?

I suppose there's always Beats of Rage ;)

I'd like to see tobal#1 ported over to the jag....

even the graphics look to be like what the jag dose in 3D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW1uyuHrPoo

i played this game alot on the old ps1.

square never relased tobal2 in the states!

Ps: watch the full video... the quest mode was/is really cool!

Edited by Zeptari1

I know the Jag is very good at programing 2d games, but Street Fighter 3 third strike came out on the Xbox 1 and ps2, I mean it would be like putting Street Fighter 4 on the Jag, except that is 2.5d.

The only thing holding back the Jag from delivering a great port of SF3, is the lack of video RAM, otherwise, it has anough 2d muscle to handle the action.

Now SF4 is a totally diferent issue.