IGNORED

Platformer source

batari

Here is Gingerbread Man source stripped of all game-specific code except the platformer engine itself. If someone wants to build a platformer based on this, go ahead. I figured the physics model and background detection might be useful to someone.

I kept in the man sprite and second level screen data for illustration purposes, but please change these if you use this as a base for your own game.

Variables f-z are free. Enjoy!

platformer.bas

platformer.bas.bin

• Like 1

I modified the engine to work with the standard kernel. One uses Superchip RAM to allow a playfield with the same block size as the original, and another uses larger blocks as found in the standard kernel. I decided to optimize each for bankswitching, so the game loop is placed in the last bank. This reduces the number of cross-bank accesses when reading playfield blocks. This code should still work if you decide to add pfcolors or no_blank_lines.

I also included a multisprite version optimized for bankswitching.

platformers.zip

I modified the engine to work with the standard kernel. One uses Superchip RAM to allow a playfield with the same block size as the original, and another uses larger blocks as found in the standard kernel. I decided to optimize each for bankswitching, so the game loop is placed in the last bank. This reduces the number of cross-bank accesses when reading playfield blocks. This code should still work if you decide to add pfcolors or no_blank_lines.

I also included a multisprite version optimized for bankswitching.

This is awesome! Thanks! :thumbsup:

Sorry if this is something simple but I am new to Batari Basic and am getting an error when trying to compile the samples you provided. The error is "Unknown Keyword: def". I have made a few changes to the playfield, but don't think that would cause an issue as I only changed a few "." to "X" keeping the correct number of characters in the line.

Thanks.

Sorry if this is something simple but I am new to Batari Basic and am getting an error when trying to compile the samples you provided. The error is "Unknown Keyword: def". I have made a few changes to the playfield, but don't think that would cause an issue as I only changed a few "." to "X" keeping the correct number of characters in the line.

Thanks.

Sorry - you need the latest build for that, and it's not yet on the website. To install, unzip the file where bB is installed and overwrite the 4 executables.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...t&id=114295

Thanks.

Sorry - you need the latest build for that, and it's not yet on the website. To install, unzip the file where bB is installed and overwrite the 4 executables.

I thought I had the latest. I will give it a try.

Thanks.

I thought I had the latest. I will give it a try.

That did it. Thank you for your assistance.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...