IGNORED

Season 2 5200 HSC Round 7 *James Bond 007*

darthkur

I've seemed to hit a wall. I can't consistently land on the damn sea station because I can't SEE it, and I rarely get to the second wave.

Is anyone else trying this with me, and having the same difficulty progressing past the 10-15k score range?

I've been playing in Atari800WinPlus, and until last night was using the CX-40-style joystick that was included with my Flashback 2. Interesting tidbit - I discovered during this round that the handle on the imitiation CX-40 unscrews. It seems to unscrew consistently while I'm playing this particular game, and during one attempt, where I was doing great, the handle all of a sudden fell off in my hand, destroying my rhythm!

Anyway, last night I swapped the stick for a yellow and black Gemstick that I had never tried out. (Don't recall where/when I got it.) I improved a bit and broke 15,000 twice in a row, but the Gemstick is much harder to move, and my hand grew tired very quickly.

I haven't tried a gamepad yet - I'm not even sure I have one.

Still, I'm frustrated that I haven't hit 20k.

I've seemed to hit a wall. I can't consistently land on the damn sea station because I can't SEE it, and I rarely get to the second wave.

I can't consistently land on the sea station either. Sometimes I do it first try, other times I die several times. Whoever designed this game, they made the first mission too difficult.

From what I've gathered from play experience, don't get too close to the station but stay a bit to the left of it as it scrolls left-wards toward you. Aim for the right side of it, not the middle, becuase you have to clear that left-side tower thing or you'll crash.

I see the game's merits now and I understand why some enjoy it. I hope to get better to see the different movies/missions. As of now, I made it to stage 3 Moonraker but didn't understand the objective and died. There seems to be many missions to keep the replay high - just so long as the game is not too hard and you can reach them -- different from the norm back in the 80's when we only got 2 Donkey Kong or Congo Bongo stages.

To be able to see the Oil Rig you have to shoot one of the diamonds in the sky. When the diamond explodes the screen flashes and you can see the Rig for a short time. Remember you need to land on the round object on the right side of the Rig. Hit it anywhere else and you'll die. It's the same with the sunken ship on level 4 but worse. If you hit the ship anywhere other than the round spot the game is over.

.... I made it to stage 3 Moonraker but didn't understand the objective and died. There seems to be many missions to keep the replay high - just so long as the game is not too hard and you can reach them -- different from the norm back in the 80's when we only got 2 Donkey Kong or Congo Bongo stages.

For Moonraker you need to shoot down three of the satellites to be able to continue to level 4.

Looks like you need to shoot the moon shuttles (or are they rockets) ascending from the sea bed, or you die when they explode in space. I saw the 'satellites' early in the level, didn't even hit one of them.

Also just to be precise here, in level 1 the oil rig, I found that if the sky has gone dark you can still jump and land safely on the rig if you remember where it is, or if your shots are obviously being stopped by it while its invisible (black against black sky). The diamonds help you see it but don't need to be 'active' at the moment you land.

I just played 2 rounds, didn't improve my score but landed on the level 1 oil rig both times first try.

Man, you guys are killing me!

Last night I decided to see if I'd improve with a different controller. I'd been playing on my main desktop, a P3-766 that I bought in 2000, using an emulator and a Stelladaptor. I tried:

• Wico Command Control (bat handle)
  • Flashback 2 Joystick
  • GEMStick
  • Pointmaster Fire Control
  • Original CX-40

None was an improvement, and some were much worse.

Before hitting the sack I decided to give things a go using the real thing, so I fired up my 5200 and grabbed a true 5200 controller.

You guys should all TRY THIS! The control was SWEET. I haven't improved my score yet, but was consistently making approx. 15,000. The sound was better too, and everything just flowed more smoothly.

Watch out Ron, I'm coming up from behind and I'm gonna get ya!

Figured I'd post my new score since it bumps me up the ranking a wee bit. Sorry bohoki. :)

oh its on like donkey kong

atari026.png

DCP_7188.jpg

i try on my real system and cant beat 17000

on my pc with my gravis i do better

DCP_7189.jpg

its probably the little chunk of velcro mod i did to make it more comfy to my thumb

Edited by bohoki

*Grumble*

I dig in the closet o'doom...

... pull out my 5200 and James Bond ....

...it works! but after a few rounds my firing thumb/finger are falling off - my buttons dont work well...

... pull out masterplay + Genesis 6-button pad ....

On real hardware (agreed: aint nothin like the real thing) got this score, not my highest but decent.

post-37-1242966364_thumb.jpg

post-37-1242966373_thumb.jpg

post-37-1242966380_thumb.jpg

post-37-1242966386_thumb.jpg

Give it a break and try again over the weekend, guys. If you beat stage 3 Moonraker you'll be well into the 30k's.

For stage 2, I hold back left (not the whole way though) when the rig comes, so I can submerge and quickly press right to get past it. Sometimes as I'm sure you know, you have to watch missiles too and sometimes I think there's no way out. It seems after 3 rigs then the missiles and enemies go away for a screen, then you reach the undersea base where you bomb the escape craft then touch it as it rises.

One word of warning with stage 3 Moonraker - if a Moonraker shuttle takes off and you can't shoot it, quickly submerge or you die in the above-water explosion! I didn't quite 'get' this rule at first.

Too lazy to upload the pic, but if anyone wants to see it it's on my camera.

Why did Stage 2 seem endless? Because I didn't know what I was supposed to do to end it!!!! d'Oh!!!

So I finished Stage 2, and died almost immediately on Stage 3. Didn't know what to do, and died, I suspect, in the same manner you were describing above, Cafeman. Two or three green things rocketed up to the top of the screen, and as soon as they hit the top of the screen I died.

Live (die) and learn. More to come tomorrow.

And, just as an aside, tomorrow is my 10-year anniversary, and I'm going to be trying to find some way to sneak in time on this ridiculous HSC!!! Wonder if there will be an 11-year anniversary.........

:)

Well happy 10th anniverary, and please use discretion when firing up the ole 5200. ;)

I got to the 4th mission but for some reason had a lower score than my best. It was nice green mountains in the sea, and you must jump over their peaks (you are in the water). But a helicopter comes down right on top of you and drops one of those level-1 satellite water bombs on your position ...I died twice in a row, not understanding what to do. This game is far more complicated than the typical 5200 game, so I read the online manual text to see what to do with each level. I noticed that the game doesn't repeat forever but can be beaten.

Good Show NoahsMyBro...and happy anniversary!

I'm back in the game and I'm gunnin' for ya. And the rest of you guys---don't get comfortable :twisted:

Like I said earlier, if there ever was a game designed for the stock controller it's this one. The stick glides like butter, giving you complete control of your craft once you get the hang of it, and without wearing out your wrist; there aint nuthin' like the real thing.

The replay value of this game is pretty high, since each mission you complete leads to new challenges and different scenery, but like Cafeman said, the first mission is pretty hard. The steep learning curve is probably responsible for turning off alot of people to this game. I'm starting to appreciate revisiting this once neglected gem in my 5200 library :)

post-21471-1243128067_thumb.jpg

(already posted earlier)

I think that's going to be my best. There's no way I'm catching you guys in the next 2 hours.

I can pretty consistently make it to Moonraker, but I keep dying right at the beginning of Moonraker. I even managed to make it to Moonraker without losing a single life, and then proceeded to lose all of my cars almost immediately once the wave began, scoring fewer than 2000 more points once I made it to that level.

I think I'm done for this round. Thanks for the competition everyone.