IGNORED

fight for life

otaku

The collector in me wants it because its the final release but is it good? Is it worth 30 bucks complete?

I personally love this game. Others strongly dislike it, but I think it's a very fun, very technical fighter. It's also got some fantastic graphics. I wouldn't buy it for $30 though, simply because you can find it for cheaper.

The collector in me wants it because its the final release but is it good? Is it worth 30 bucks complete?

I'm not sure what the going rate is for the game, but I paid full price when it first came out and wasn't disappointed. Just don't expect it to look / play like Tekken 6 and I think you'll find it's a good addition to the Jag library. I think it has decent graphics, decent music, and an acceptable framerate.

Stephen Anderson

I'm not sure what the going rate is for the game, but I paid full price when it first came out and wasn't disappointed. Just don't expect it to look / play like Tekken 6 and I think you'll find it's a good addition to the Jag library. I think it has decent graphics, decent music, and an acceptable framerate.

Stephen Anderson

Or play like Tekken 2 for that matter. It didn't disappoint me too much. I think when I first played I was exposed to Tekken 2 a lot and may have expected too much from the game. But having known some years latter the Atari Jags limitations, they really did do a good job with FFL considering that there's little support for texturemapping. It's probably the only game that really pushes texture mapping to the limit on the Jaguar.

My main issue with Fight For Life is the presentation. There seems to be a really good 3D engine with a solid fighting game hidden beneath all of that horrible animation, sloppy texturing, and awkward camera work. I mean, really, who walks like that? What good are textures if they don't blend well once you put them on the model? Why am I forced to play from a perspective slightly behind one of the characters? I'm all for creativity, but not at the expense of depth perception in a fighting game!

It'd be nice to get the source for the game, tweak the animations and camera angles, and then get a skilled artist to redo the textures... I see some real potential there.

I think it is polygonal games such as Fight for Life that show just how superior the Jag is to the SNES and MD, the only 3d games the likes of those consoles could produce were Hard Drivin' and Flight Simulator.

I kind of see what you're saying, and coarse polygonal games fed into the 3d craze at the time, whele very good 2D ones were often shunned in the "32/64-bit" generation. Today, most of the old 2D games (especially th fighters)hold up better though, inless you really like the primitive polygonal games. (which I am, but more for space/flight/sci-fi kins of games)

But for the record, the Genesis and SNES were extremely limited in this area, there was absolutely no hardware support of any kind onboard (on-car there's the SFX chips and SVP) to helf with polygon rendering and thus had to do everything in software with their very limited CPU's. Additionally the Genesis was limited to a 16-color mode for all polygon rendering as it was stuck with 4 seperate 16-color palettes, while the SNES had a variety of color modes including several using a 256 color palette (so it was much better off), while the stock Genesis is a bit better off with its faster CPU.

Given the limitations, it's pretty impressive (at least from a technical aspect) to see games like Hard Drivin' and Race Drivin' (on SNES as well, with more colors, but even lower frame rate), as well as flight sims like F-15 Strike Eagle II, MiG 29, LHX, and F-22 interceptor (the latter 2 by EA and using the Genesis's Z80 as a coprocessor, with F-22 even being a Genesis exclusive rather than a port like the others)

Yeah, I mean people knock primative 3d games today but if it were'nt for primative ones, we would not have the 3d games we have today. It's all progress, flat shaded polygons and so on, and so on until you have the texture mapped 3d graphics we have today. Anyway, I personaly have no problems what so ever with flat shaded polygons or primative 3d, cos when play games such as pacman on the 2600, you begin to appreciate even the most largest, blockyist of polygons. But what I really like about primative 3d games such as Hard Drivin on the MD/ Genisis, is the fact that they are the first games that look remotely like real life, when you're playing Hard Drivin on the MD it feels like you are driving a car, however when you're playing Pole Position on the 2600, not so much.

I picked this up recently. This game is way too slow paced. The art is ugly. The music is nothing special. It just feels about as generic as it gets for a 3D fighting game. That being said, I have played much worse games and it is one of the more impressive Jaguar games at least from a technical standpoint.

The 32X port of Virtua Fighter is ten times the game Fight for Life is. It may not have texture mapping but it plays like a dream.

Yeah, I'lld say the 32x is a better console to compare to the Jag, the MD and SNES should'ent be compared to the Jag, cos they fourth gen and the Jag is fifth gen , whereas the Jag would not be a good console to compare to the ps1 and n64 as those consoles are later fifth gen consoles. The Jaguar is a better console then the MD and SNES as it has better specs, whereas the n64 and ps1 are better consoles then the Jag as they have better specs. For those reasons, the Jag is a better console then the 2600 but the 360 is a better console then the Jag. And the end of the day, the 32x and Jag can through more polygons around then the MD and SNES can.