IGNORED

Coleco caused more damage to the games industry then Atari.

mcjakeqcool

I strongly disagree with your by 1998 people were mostly using debit card nonsense!!!

Perhaps years from now people could say "by 2011 most people were using debit cards", and while still not real accurate, it would be much more so than claiming we were nearly a cashless society 13 years ago.

There are actually people who still use cash? :o

always a great personal satisfaction to open the wallet and paying cash, better if a lot of people around. Still remember the child with his mother behind me; I was paying saying, and he says " mama, I have never seen that sheet at home..it was a 500 Euro."

Great.

I love using cash.

About the same time more people started shifting to debit cards. Even if there were arcade games around that still only cost .25, many people stopped carrying cash and change. If you make them go to an ATM, then get change, that's too many steps without immediate satisfaction and the average person looses their impulse to play. Even if they do play, they are more aware of the money spent. Debit cards may not have killed the arcade, but they helped add the nails to the coffin.

I strongly disagree with your by 1998 people were mostly using debit card nonsense!!!

Perhaps years from now people could say "by 2011 most people were using debit cards", and while still not real accurate, it would be much more so than claiming we were nearly a cashless society 13 years ago.

I certainly did not mean to imply that the US was a cashless society 13 years ago. There is no way that debit cards were single-handedly responsible for the demise of the arcade, as I stated originally.

Obviously, trends for things like debit card adoption vary. In my crowd (friends, family, acquaintances, coworkers) I was a holdout, refusing to adopt debit cards until 2001. I didn't get my first debit card until my bank stopped charging usage fees, because I thought everyone else was the fool for paying extra to access their money. Everyone thought I was stupid for not having done it sooner. I wouldn't remember these things in such detail if it hadn't been a topic of conversation every time we went out, with comments like, "Still haven't joined the 20th century? Ha ha..."

Since I received my debit card, I have not once taken cash out and gotten change/tokens to play games in an arcade or movie theater. If we had change on us, we would usually stop and play a few games. Prior to my debit card, we almost always had cash and change at least at movie theaters.

Before I lived in a metropolitan area... somewhere they actually had arcades and movie theaters. Now I live in a rural area, and things like debit card use are completely different here. Most of the stores accept debit cards however most people carry cash, and many don't even have bank accounts. Then again, most people here don't know how to regularly bath or launder their clothes, either.

There are actually people who still use cash? :o

always a great personal satisfaction to open the wallet and paying cash, better if a lot of people around. Still remember the child with his mother behind me; I was paying saying, and he says " mama, I have never seen that sheet at home..it was a 500 Euro."

Great.

I love using cash.

Well I can't speak for other countries and certainly didn't mean to. Here in the states though very few still use cash. Typically those that do are either borderline indigent and just don't have enough cash to warrant a card, or are sticking to some outdated bs that they're going to "stick it to the banks" by not having a bank account. Well those and the elderly, and as they die off the following generation is closer to being part of modern times and less worried about how things were done before pasteurization was invented.

Gentlemen, your personal observations in the areas you live and visit is not grounds to say everyone uses debit.

A local mini golf here in Toledo is cash only and so was the bar at an Eagles club I visited.

I see people at the stores here in Toledo, OH use cash all the time.

Perhaps 50% or more transaction are debit/credit but broad sweeping statements without facts to back them up is not doing anyone any favors.

Gentlemen, your personal observations in the areas you live and visit is not grounds to say everyone uses debit.

A local mini golf here in Toledo is cash only and so was the bar at an Eagles club I visited.

Perhaps 50% or more transaction are debit/credit but broad sweeping statements without facts to back them up is not doing anyone any favors.

It's much more than personal observations. I actually work in the banking industry, have been for nearly 23 years. I can tell you with certainty, that cash is fast going the way of the dodo bird (sp?). Small mom and pop stores tend to accept cash only because they often think they are saving money on fees when in reality they are losing customers (and then whine it's the fault of that big "W" chain that just opened down the street).

And nothing personal, Toledo is an area with a VERY high poverty rate, one of the highest in the nation. Not exactly a place where one would expect a high number of people with a bank account much less a debit card.

Apparently, all of our sweeping statements and personal observations are worthless compared to Sir Yurkie's sweeping statements and personal observations :D

• Like 1