IGNORED

Colecovision Pulls to the Right

MFoolsRun

Hi,

I scored a Colecovision at a tag-sale today, got it home, powered it on, and it works! But in all games right-direction behaves as though it's held down; the character moves to the right constantly.

I tried both controllers that came with this system, and two controllers that I had from a DOA Coleco I'd gotten last year, all with the same result. I haven't yet tried whether the problem exists for player2.

So my question is this: what should I try? How might I fix this issue?

I don't know the CV, but I think the controllers work similar to most other old systems like the Atari.

There aren't many things it could be. One of the pins controls right movement, it should normally be 5v and the controller pulls it to ground when moving right.

It's apparently not the controllers. Just to confirm you could also check the pin with a multimeter without any controller plugged into it. If it's +5v yet it acts like you're going right, then the controller IC must be fried.

If it's 0v, then maybe it's still the IC or else something else is pulling it down. Check anything connected to that trace on the board.

• 1 month later...
The problem is definately the Texas Instruments SN74LS541 Octal Buffer(s) at U18 (player 2) and/or U19 (player 1). It/They would need to be replaced, and are still readily available if you have the ability to solder.

Jumping into this thread with a similar problem: controller port one automatically fires one shot or jumps once, then the fire buttons no longer work. Would this be the same as the pulling to the right problem with the same solution?

The problem is definately the Texas Instruments SN74LS541 Octal Buffer(s) at U18 (player 2) and/or U19 (player 1). It/They would need to be replaced, and are still readily available if you have the ability to solder.

Jumping into this thread with a similar problem: controller port one automatically fires one shot or jumps once, then the fire buttons no longer work. Would this be the same as the pulling to the right problem with the same solution?

Yep, basically the same problem, with the same solution.

5-11under

• 12 years later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/18/2009 at 2:04 PM, doubledown said:

Hi.  My Colecovision is doing the same thing even when I don’t have a controller plugged into port 1, it’s always stuck to the right.  What Indon’t get is it’s intermittent!!  It can play fine for an hour and bang it does this.  A few weeks after, I can try it and it’s ok for a while and bang again!!  Is this the same issue with the U19 player 1 or port 1 that is defective?