IGNORED

Mega List of OVER 300 UNIQUE Released & UnReleased Jaguar Games!

kevincal

Yeah, now that I have a skunk 2 I'd like to know what I can use it with. That with links would make an awesome list/thread.

As mentioned, check out Jaguar Sector II - especially the VIP subscriber section.

I have no idea how B&C? got the Demolition Man code. A good guess would be along the lines that they knew somebody.. who knew somebody.. who knew somebody that worked in the Virgin Studio and they got the code from them somehow, way, shape or form. The Jag version was supposed to be a port of the 3DO rev. At the time, we actually were doing SNES, Genesis and 3DO versions of the game. The SNES and Genesis versions had dev / design problems and ended-up shipping late. When we did finally finish the SNES and Genesis versions, we ended-up selling them off to Acclaim, who at the time.. would publish just about anything license-wise. :-/ THAT, I'm sure is what helped put an end to Acclaim. That same story actually, went the same for Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story. The SNES and Genesis versions ended-up being sold off to Acclaim.

I was the Producer on Bruce Lee. As for Demo Man and Creature Shock, I got to see the deliverables first hand as I was just about one of the only people that could deal with, understood or fidgeted with the Jaguar Dev Kit. I spent MANY AN HOUR on the phone with Norman, trying to get the thing up and running. :-(

I do recall once that Neil Young ("The Internal Virgin Studios Head") at the time, had asked one of his programmers to come over and grab a Jag CD dev kit from me.. and that they had wanted it for dev purposes. If I recall correctly, this is back when Neil thought Martin was going to give him start-up money to start a Coin-Op group within Virgin ("Yeah, right!"). Anyway, I think or at least seem to remember... they were using the hardware to develope some-sort of game prototype by the name of PROPAGANDA. ..OR.. it could be that the name of the Internal Dev Team was named Propaganda. "I forget." Anyway, like most of Neil's great ideas (The Nintendo 64's FREAK BOY).. they never amounted to much and usually got killed-off.

I remember when the Dev Kits were first sent out, they didn't really have any PC tools support. It was all done via the Atari Falcon computer. "Pretty stupid of Atari, really." Nobody was working with Atari computers at that time in development circles, save for maybe a few Euro developers. Hence, probably why you saw ALOT of Atari Jaguar devs were from Europe. I mean...here was Atari trying to get a new kick-butt console out into the public' eye and essentially demanding that their developers work with on / with antiquated computer / OS that most, if not all devs hadn't worked on in a LONG time. I think that this too helped to put off many developers. "Lack of good PC tools." Add to this the fact that the Tramiels had burned so many bridges before-hand. "Nobody wanted to have anything to do with the Tramiels." They had screwed too many good people the first time around with the whole 2600, 5200 / 7800 failure. Add to that they never said "Sorry" to anyone. This was just their way of doing business.

I can go on and on about Atari and the Jaguar. :-/

I being an Atari fan REALLY DID want it to succeed, but even before it was released..it was doomed for failure sad to say. :-(

- K

Edited by Klove
  • Like 2

:) Sad but interesting notes there Klove. Thanks. :) I figured as much and I really wanted the Jag to succeed also, because I wanted Atari to have the great success they had with the 2600 again. :D Wasn't to be tho, and I knew the Jag wouldn't "Take Off" back when I bought it in '94 -when I saw how the damn software was trickling in even in '95. :| I was just being nostalgic for my youth and the 2600, is all.

Yeah, Jack & Sam were both big pricks, all mentions of them, from everyone, all say the same thing: they were just assholes and nobody wants to be around dickheads that burn everyone as they go, to greedily line there own pockets. :P

Jack: "Business is War!" :P

• 1 year later...

CF and BL were just ports of the Genesis versions. Contrary to what Atari had tolds it's Jag fans at the time.. ala.. "Better versions then the other platforms".... that just wasn't the case. :-/

- K

Hey Klove,

what about the render-intro and the larger color-palette used in CF for the Jag? This makes the jag-port a little bit better in my eyes. For Dragon I remember some nice render-background grafics in some levels. Aren't they uniqe in the Jag port? At least the larger-color palette should be an advantage in both games over the genesis versions, shouldn't it?

best reg,

bmX

I have no idea how B&C? got the Demolition Man code. A good guess would be along the lines that they knew somebody.. who knew somebody.. who knew somebody that worked in the Virgin Studio and they got the code from them somehow, way, shape or form. The Jag version was supposed to be a port of the 3DO rev. At the time, we actually were doing SNES, Genesis and 3DO versions of the game. The SNES and Genesis versions had dev / design problems and ended-up shipping late. When we did finally finish the SNES and Genesis versions, we ended-up selling them off to Acclaim, who at the time.. would publish just about anything license-wise. :-/ THAT, I'm sure is what helped put an end to Acclaim. That same story actually, went the same for Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story. The SNES and Genesis versions ended-up being sold off to Acclaim.

- K

B&C's Demolition Man disc is just movie FMV, nothing more. Just the FMV converted to Cinepak so some movie scenes can be watched. No actual game at all. I've got the 3DO version though.

Edited by Gunstar

I still find it hilarious that someone would have the audacity to name a game ApeShit. How could they get that one past the ESRB? :lol:

It was by English software house Ocean and they would have got away with that no problem over here. I believe it was going to be renamed Toki Goes Apespit for the American market

Edited by The_Laird

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Scott Rogers (Alexandria), answering my question in the Unseen64 book, regarding what became of the Jaguar version of Return Fire:

Scott:The Jaguar was junk.It was supposedly hard to program for and the artwork couldn't look anywhere near as good as the 3DO version.In my humble opinion, it was a real dog of a console.......the conversion was pretty close to being done at that point.

We were also working on a conversion of the game 'Frankenstein:Through The Eyes Of The Monster', that also got canned.

This thread seemed as good a place as any to share this info with.