IGNORED

80 Col display software?

I just dug my 800XL out of storage and tidied it up (it had not been stored well!) and as well as using it for playing my old favourites (Missile Command, Joust, Fractalus!) but also want to use it for some word programming and text editing, and think having an 80 column display would be a real boost. I know of the XEP 80, but are there any software alternatives that work with Last Word? Is the XEP 80 worth while, and if so, easy to come by?

I know of the XEP 80, but are there any software alternatives that work with Last Word? Is the XEP 80 worth while, and if so, easy to come by?

The Last Word has its own built-in 80 column handler. Quality and speed is about as good as you'll get with any software solution. However, LW might in future be modified to work with other hardware 80 column devices (VBXE, for example). ACE-80 was a good (cartridge based) software solution, but like I say, LW doesn't interface with other software based 80 column drivers since there's not really much to be gained from it.

Of course there's the "Flickerterm" (interlaced) software approach to 80 column text. I don't know if any system-wide handlers were written to work that way. SpartaDOS X has built-in software driven 64 and 80 column console drivers. You can use LW with any of these installed. As for XEP-80: I was intending to include support for it in LW but there didn't seem to be enormous demand for it.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...