IGNORED

Composite Mod TELEGAMES Dina "Personal Arcade"

GonzoCV-1

This is one of the Telegames Coleco Vision clones on which I performed a composite video mod and an audio out so that you do not have to rely on the system's deplorable RF box set up.

The Audio mod presents as a white 4 pin plug at the rear of the unit where the SG1000 expansion port is located. It hooks to a custom cable I made, which is included obviously, that terminates at RCA plugs for video and audio.

For those unfamiliar with the DINA system, here's the skinny.

The DINA is a Japanese clone of the Coleco Vision which uses its own "NES" style controllers. Regular Coleco controllers won't work. Plus, there's only one keypad on the console itself and its oriented in a six by two instead of three by four setup.

I.e,

7890*#

instead of

*0#

That makes games like Wargames and Spy Hunter a little tough.

The BIOS has a built en game (Meteor Attach, which is surprisingly entertaining), and for all games that rely on the built in Coleco internal "splash" screen you will see a green background with japanese writing instead of the Coleco splash. It plays most of the games I've thrown at it. Super action controller depending games are an exception, obviously. I did have a great marathon session last night with Gorf, and I tell you the control from these pads is real nice.

This is also the "revised" version of the Telegames DINA. There are at least two that I've seen. The first still used the 99xx series video chip and, thus, a series of eight 4116 memory chips. (AKA memory chips from hell). That required a giant power supply with, like the basic coleco, a +5 -5 +12 and G configuration. The second revision, used the newer/better 91XX series video chip, and two 4416 memory chips which only need +5. Consequently, they add an internal 5Volt power regulator circuit and are fed with 9 to 12 volts 900ma external power supply.

This is the 2nd, better, revision. (I will include the power supply with this auction).

The biggest problem with the Telegames DINA machines has been the RF converter which is just a piece of crap and outputs on channels 13 or 14, sort of, if it feels like it. I've wired in a straight composite out signal straight off the 9118 chip and its an extremely clean signal. Its actually just fantastic, really. Great color, sharp definition, and just an overall great picture.

I haven't tested the SG1000 slot on this thing, but it was rumored that such compatibility was disabled on USA units anyway, so don't count on it working. My own personal DINA machine came with a paper that said using the SG1000 slot disabled the warranty, so maybe there's something to that.

The Coleco slot works fine with the compatible games and I think its worth adding to any collection. In fact, for people with "really nice" TVs, I think this may be the best Coleco option with all but a few games.

To induce a quick sale, I'm throwing in a semi-rare cartridge, pick one (1) between Atari's Jungle Hunt and Mr. Do's Castle. (Note that I make this same offer on my Composite mod Coleco Vision also currently for sale, so if that goes first whoever gets it will get first choice and I'll edit this to note which of the cartridges is left).

I need to get $200.00 + actual shipping for this one to part with it.

First "I'll take it" posted to the thread gets the item, even others are kicking the tires or asking questions in PMs. PMs with good questions will be posted here for all to read so I can give the same response to everyone.

If no one's interested in this one it goes on eBay tomorrow night. This really is a good deal. These go for $150 all day long on eBay without the composite mod and cartridge pack in.

That's a mild overstatement. You can still get them NIB for less than that without resorting to eBay. No knock on the mod, though.

If no one's interested in this one it goes on eBay tomorrow night. This really is a good deal. These go for $150 all day long on eBay without the composite mod and cartridge pack in.

That's a mild overstatement. You can still get them NIB for less than that without resorting to eBay. No knock on the mod, though.

Here is a BRAND NEW one for $140, it has been available here for years...

https://www.atari2600.com/item--Dina-2-in-1...--PROD3889.html

Or much less, if you go with a Personal Arcade and not a DINA, from the same source.

Or much less, if you go with a Personal Arcade and not a DINA, from the same source.

Yup, $95 to be exact ;)

https://www.atari2600.com/item--Personal-Ar...--PROD3887.html

• 1 month later...

Yup, $95 to be exact ;)

https://www.atari2600.com/item--Personal-Ar...--PROD3887.html

Those are DINA systems, just with Personal Arcade boxes. Click the image once. ;)