IGNORED

Boosted version of Mean18

_Fandal_

Hi all!

I'm really proud to release boosted version of Mean18 golf. We have spent six months with optimizing original code and I think that the result is pretty impressive. Main drawing procedure is now running on +200% speed and the game is finally playable now...

Credits:

* code optimalization - Bob!k/C.P.U. & Fandal

* RMT title tune - PG

* optimized music player - Raster.

Enjoy!

F.

Mean18.zip

• Like 1

Jesus.... I don't want to play the original one if this is the speedy version... ;)

I found the speed of the original was absolutely abysmal.Pretty surprising because I thought a lot of the Atari prototypes for the XEGS (including Commando, Xenophobe and MIDI Maze) were quite good.

Love the Euro title tune, too! ;-)

Edited by DracIsBack

The screen took 18 seconds to draw in the prototype. I timed it.

Tempest

Great! Interesting example of a dramatic increase of performance on original assembler programming.

Fandal, could you give some interesting details on your analysis,... for example why the original code render so slow the field?

Was it just as simple as optimizing the code or did you have to change things around? I always wondered how Atari thought they were going to release this one with its absurdly slow draw rates.

Tempest

A lot of optimalizations have been done on ML instructions level as well as on algorithm level. Fortunatelly original code didn't use RAM under OS so we were able to put some additional code and precalculated tables there.

Tempest

Great! Interesting example of a dramatic increase of performance on original assembler programming.

Fandal, could you give some interesting details on your analysis,... for example why the original code render so slow the field?

I would say that Mean18 was just unfinished prototype. Raycasting procedures were pretty unoptimized, there's only one course available, the game has no ending (there is just jump to coldstart address) and there're some strange sounds in the title screen. Overall, the game was playable but it was just some beta version.

F.

Fantastic work again Fandal! I think it's great to see existing games enhanced and improved like this. Six months hard work.. it goes well to illustrate just how much dedication it takes to see something like this through.

8)

Edited by Tezz

Just played a hole on the emulator; nice work for the 2nd new game of 2009!? Is there a way to transfer .CAR (or .ROM for that matter) files down to a 1050 disk to play on a real Atari, or, do I need to wait for an executable/file version :?:

Well, file version is possible (for 256 kB machines). May be I'll convert the game into file version in the future but right now I'm pretty flooded with another A8 projects...

Try to contact Lance of Video61 if you want to play the game on real HW. May be he could produce some carts with boosted version...

F.

Edited by _Fandal_

Was it just as simple as optimizing the code or did you have to change things around? I always wondered how Atari thought they were going to release this one with its absurdly slow draw rates.

Tempest

A lot of optimalizations have been done on ML instructions level as well as on algorithm level. Fortunatelly original code didn't use RAM under OS so we were able to put some additional code and precalculated tables there.

Tempest

I would say that Mean18 was just unfinished prototype. Raycasting procedures were pretty unoptimized, there's only one course available, the game has no ending (there is just jump to coldstart address) and there're some strange sounds in the title screen. Overall, the game was playable but it was just some beta version.

F.

Yeah I would think that as well, but I did see a whole batch of archival EPROMs for this title once (John Hardie had it). Either he had a different version or they were going to release it like this.

Tempest

Hi all!

I'm really proud to release boosted version of Mean18 golf. We have spent six months with optimizing original code and I think that the result is pretty impressive. Main drawing procedure is now running on +200% speed and the game is finally playable now...

Credits:

* code optimalization - Bob!k/C.P.U. & Fandal

* RMT title tune - PG

* optimized music player - Raster.

Enjoy!

F.

I'm normally not an emulator user (Atari800winplus 4.7 Beta) , but using either PAL or NTSC (100% speed) settings, with XL/XE OS, and 128K memory, M18 doesn't seem to function correctly. Perhaps something I'm doing incorrectly, but the game either goes to the "enter initiials" and locks up, or goes all the way the first (demo?) hole. I tried it keyboard only and also with a Logitech joypad. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Larry

Thanks for the update Fandal - was nice playing Pebble Beach again - finally got my Birdy on the last hole!

That snapshot shows multicolored text in 320*200 mode without relying on artifacting-- a rarity among atari games.

I've played this game on Amiga. Perhaps, if someone wants to give spec for .CAR, I can try to upload via MPDOS to real Atari.

Just played a hole on the emulator; nice work for the 2nd new game of 2009!? Is there a way to transfer .CAR (or .ROM for that matter) files down to a 1050 disk to play on a real Atari, or, do I need to wait for an executable/file version :?:

Well, file version is possible (for 256 kB machines). May be I'll convert the game into file version in the future but right now I'm pretty flooded with another A8 projects...

Try to contact Lance of Video61 if you want to play the game on real HW. May be he could produce some carts with boosted version...

F.

I've only got a stock 130XE / 128K, never mind :| Great work though.

Most of these games would make good MAXFLASH conversions then everyone could enjoy them!

F.

I've only got a stock 130XE / 128K, never mind :| Great work though.