IGNORED

demons souls confirmed american release

xg4bx

So this game is always on-line unless you disable the internet? Why wouldn't they give you the option of whether or not you want to play in the online universe? Sounds like an oversight to me.

Tempest

EXACTLY! Whats so hard with putting it into your pause menu or options menu? I just dont understand it. My only quip at the game....

Its still rates up there as one of the best games I've played in a long while, very old school fun.........and lovecrafty creepiness.

Mendon:

Thanks for the info..I guess I'll be doing that to play offline. Like I said, getting invaded right before entering a boss battle makes you want to reach out and throttle the intruding guy.

So when you play (without unplugging the internet) people can randomly join your game and attack you? That doesn't sound like fun at all.

Tempest

One thing about online that is kind of cool is you can sometimes see other players,as ghostlike entities, playing their game, fighting unseen monsters (unseen in your world). This is fine to me although sometimes other players running by prompt me to strike at non-existent foes it's not a big deal and it's kinda neat seeing what others are doing.

That said, I haven't been attacked by anyone, but if that is possible, it another aspect of the game that sucks bad. The game is hard enough without some ass jumping in and killing you. You will die over and over as it is. The day that happens is the day I'll pull the plug on Demon Souls online.

I will say this is far from the best game I've ever played. The levels are designed in such as way that when you die, you basically start the level over, with all the creatures you've killed back where they were before. The only thing missing are things that might make the next play through easier (Like treasures, health items, etc...) As you can imagine, this makes the game VERY redundant. My experience so far has been running through a linear castle, with creatures in very specific places, each and every one of which will come at you and try to kill you when you agro them. Then I die, and start all the way back at the beginning and go through it all again in the hopes of getting back to where I died so I can get my souls back.

I chose to be a magician, and I am fairly powerful, however you don't regenerate magic as far as I know, you can't rest, you can't meditate, you can drink vials that will give you magic back...if you have any which usually I do not. So for the most part I'm usually not very powerful.

This game isn't a HUGE disappointment or anything. (Prototype, now that game disappointed me.)I'm a sucker for collectors editions and this one is just fine. It looks really great. Creepy atmosphere, scary surroundings, evil creatures etc.... I'm not a huge fan of the 3rd person view, but it works ok most of the time. I've only ran into a couple camera issues. Still it's just not any spectacular game I recommend people rush out and buy at full price without trying first. You probably did the right thing in holding off Tempest. I'm sure the market will be flooded with cheap copies at some point but if you're curious, just head down to a game store and ask to try it out. It sounds like many people think it's the greatest thing since sliced zombies (of which there are plenty of in this game), you might be one of them...or you might be like me. :cool:

Edited by moycon

I chose to be a magician, and I am fairly powerful, however you don't regenerate magic as far as I know, you can't rest, you can't meditate, you can drink vials that will give you magic back...if you have

So you can't get your MP back other than through vials? Damn that sucks. A magician without magic is basically worthless.

Tempest

So you can't get your MP back other than through vials? Damn that sucks. A magician without magic is basically worthless.

Tempest

Maybe there is and I'm not aware of it? But yeah that sums it up, I start out with a bang and then quickly move to worthless once my magic is gone.

Yup as I said its not for everyone, you'll either love it and enjoy the challenge or simply stick with Fallout 3 or Oblivion. To be fair though this game is not trying to be like anything else other than perhaps an homage to old RPG's.

So if you like games that reward you for putting up with failure like Ultima or old Wizardry then this game is for you.

Magic regenerates by the use of a magic regen ring if I recall. Royals start out with one.

I pull my network cord out of my PS3 to play offline. Stupid isn't it?

Someone told me you can sign out of the PSN network before playing the game. I havent tried that and I'm not sure if thats possible.

Before you start a game, go to settings and "Disable Internet"... voila, no phantoms enter your game. If I want to play a game and not be bothered with a system or software update, I will do this and you can play without any update.

You just have to remember to "Enable Internet" the next time you want to go online.

Mendon

So this game is always on-line unless you disable the internet? Why wouldn't they give you the option of whether or not you want to play in the online universe? Sounds like an oversight to me.

Tempest

It's not an oversight. As much as the black phantoms suck in a way, it's part of the game design. It's like having Halo multiplayer without warthogs. If you don't like them, too bad. It's there, and someone will use it.

If you're not logged in, you simply won't have other's blood stains, messages and blue and black phantoms.

It's like having Halo multiplayer without warthogs. If you don't like them, too bad. It's there, and someone will use it.

This makes no sense. Having a Warthog in Halo is great fun for everyone involved (Anyone playing has access to one)You can pile into the Warthog, one guy can jump on the back and man the Gatling gun or they can ride shot gun while you blast the horn *beepbeep* it really adds to the game play. This is something no-one would want to remove from the game because...it's fun. Having some ass show up in your game and to kill you isn't fun.

Why would you want that? Do you really like that aspect of this game? You of all people who recently sang the praises about the greatness of single player games? You want some dick showing up in your game? LOL

Why are you adamant in regards to defending this games flaws? Have you talked to the developers? Do you KNOW that every aspect (even the crappy ones) of the game were well thought out and implemented as such? :P

Regardless it's lame IMO and I'll bet most people feel the same way.

Dang game is tough enough!!

Edited by moycon

It's not an oversight. As much as the black phantoms suck in a way, it's part of the game design. It's like having Halo multiplayer without warthogs. If you don't like them, too bad. It's there, and someone will use it.

I think a better comparison would be playing a MMO game like Everquest or Warcraft..... if **ALL** of the servers were PvP instead of being able to choose PvP or Campaign, I would never have played EQ for the two years I did. No way would I have worked my butt off for loot only to have a couple high levels stumble upon me, deal me death, take all of my loot, and leave me to start all over.

DS is like that... you have no choice if someone wants to invade your game and have their way with you. Some people look at this as innovative and unique; others few it as a royal pain in the arse that should not be. Guess it depends on how you want to play a game.

I don't know if its ever been mentioned but Demon's Souls was developed by the same people who did the Kings Field series of games on PS1 and PS2. I enjoyed the entire series but many, many people did not as this series also had its "innovative and unique" quirks to it that turned many people off. DS is no different.

Also, invading another players game isn't something that just happens whenever a player wants to... you have to work at being able to do it and collect the items necessary (which aren't all that common) to be able to do so. I played many hours in the game when I first received it and was only invaded twice. It can be a pain when it happens but its also different enough and uncommon enough that it can also be fun.

This isn't directed at Moycon at all, but its sort of funny to me that so many people have complained for months and months about how games are dumbing down and becoming too easy.... you know, the old "Hardcore gamer vs Casual gamer" debate... and then along comes a game that really puts gamer skills to the test and now people are complaining about DS being too tough. I've read many posts on several forums and a lot of people are yelling that the game is far too difficult and unfair. I find this sort of ironic.

As I said once, DS reminds me a lot of Kid Icarus in that you can work your butt off for quite some time advancing in the game, then die once and its back to the beginning to start all over. Icarus drove me up the wall and I never did finish it and refuse to ever try it again as I know I would end up throwing my controller, kicking the cat, and yelling at the wife-unit. I reached a point in Demon's Souls where the game became more frustrating than fun and I put it aside. Will I pick it up again sometime? Possibly but it will be awhile before I do.

I still believe that all of Demon's Souls gameplay was intentional by the developers, though some of it really needs a bit of refinement. I still believe that Demon's Souls is a great game... if you approach it in the manner it was developed and not as a Halo or Call of Duty. And I also believe that Demon's Souls is not for everyone, especially people like me who have low frustration points.

Just my opinion.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

Another observation.

Not a good game to play right before going to bed unless you like to go to bed really pissed off. :x

:lol:

My problem is its kind of like Tetris.....I'm like, just one more time....I'm gonna kick its arse and get further!!

So then I dont sleep till 2am...

One thing I personally cant figure out is how do you learn new spells? I havent played a Mage type, only a Royal for a little while and I got sick of the same old spell.

My last edit was wrong. I'm a royal just as you. You start off using spells. Spells are different that miracles. You learn spells from the monotone man in the Nexus that asks you to find that one guy. You learn miracles from knight who talks about God all the time. If they aren't there yet, than you aren't far enough along in stage 1. I think they appear after you beat the slug boss. They're in the first floor of the Nexus.. some on one side of the columns, some on the other. The spell guy is all by himself. More NPCs come in the farther you play the game. Eventually one will come on the top floor that will ask you to kill all the NPCs.. I wouldn't. If you do, and you talk to him, he'll try to kill you himself. If you beat him though, you get some goodies that may not be worth it as you killed everyone who can essentially make you more powerful anyway. The depressed knight in blue phantom form who's next to the blacksmith will eventually fade away at the end of stage 1. ANYWHO...

You can only USE the miracles you learn by obtaining the weapon needed to cast them. However, any spell you learn you can use.. providing you have enough slots to "remember" it.

Buy spell > remember it > use the up dpad button to switch > use it.

Edited by DaytonaUSA

I will say this, in spite of being royally pissed last night. I'm ready to take the plunge again!! LOL

I'll never learn. Was considering switching characters, but think I might try the magician awhile longer.

Royals are quite nice. Level it up so it's strength can handle a bow to kill the red dragon, and you're good in close and far combat. You're practically invincible...well in DS standards. It's fun ;).

Royals are quite nice. Level it up so it's strength can handle a bow to kill the red dragon, and you're good in close and far combat. You're practically invincible...well in DS standards. It's fun ;).

Thanks for the advice. I just gave up on the magician after playing for an hour and then losing my body in an area that scared me so I will start fresh next time.

Thanks for the advice. I just gave up on the magician after playing for an hour and then losing my body in an area that scared me so I will start fresh next time.

LOL!!!

How the hell do you kill those damn crystal lizards! I found one and used a bow on it and I got it but trying to sneak up on it is hard.

I found more on level 3 (3rd boss level). Those creepy Gollumn slaves are wierd. I feel bad killing them but they are worth oh so many souls. :D

The game is much easier to navigate using a royal.

Yepper. Well, in world 1 it is. World two starts getting into tighter spaces and they can be kinda weak in close combat. However, I have gotten used to switching between spells and my rapier, so it's a very well rounded character once you level up their strength to level 18 or higher.

However, I have gotten used to switching between spells and my rapier, so it's a very well rounded character once you level up their strength to level 18 or higher.

This is exactly how i have been playing my royal and let me tell you world one is indeed a piece of cake. Still haven't taken out the boss or the dragon yet though.

How do you raise stats?

However, I have gotten used to switching between spells and my rapier, so it's a very well rounded character once you level up their strength to level 18 or higher.

This is exactly how i have been playing my royal and let me tell you world one is indeed a piece of cake. Still haven't taken out the boss or the dragon yet though.

How do you raise stats?

You see the maiden in black and use souls to buy one of the categories next level up (strength, dexterity, ect).

ALL the prices are the same and all go up every level you go up. So, level 12 is probably about 2k, but 20 is about 4k. You can see your level in your Stats. Should say Soul Level.

Have you met the Maiden in Black yet? She's in the Nexus after you beat the slug.

You need to be strong enough to hold the compound bow you find which is strength of 18 I believe to kill the red dragon. You need 2-300 arrows according to the strategy guide, but I killed him in about 180. You get up on the second tower where the two archers are up top on the long long great wall of china-like path, and go into your scope like mode and shoot him over and over , each pass. It's tedious, but you'll kill him.

After you kill him, get the yellow orbs enemies have left in the now free to explore paths. You'll find some goodies in there that are rare, but you really can't use as a Royal. ALSO, go back to where you saw the red dragon before when it was laying down besides the castle. Now the dragon obviously won't be there, and you can collect some really rare items. Off the path on the left, (along the cliff edge) is a hidden soldier's soul that's worth a lot of souls.

The tower knight, I beat practically on my own. Two knights were with me as blue phantoms. They died quickly trying to attach his ankles. I took out the archers and then attacked him from the top ledge. The way I was angled, his piercing attach couldn't hit me, even though it looked like it was going through me lol, and I just used spells on his head over and over till he died. Didn't take long.

That should help you get through level one quite well. You can't go through the fog yet left by the Tower Knight. Go to level 2 from there.

Yeah I was actually able to snag stuff when the dragon was still alive. Just lure him over to the area where he'll try and breath fire to you and get him going a few times (breathing fire) then on a run as he's about to blow, run back to that area and snag away (Watch out for the tail).

The body around the bend can be gotten whenever you want even if the dragon it there. He breaths fire at you but it won't touch you.

Do the small things around the slug regenerate or can you kill most of them and have free access to the slug?