IGNORED

Apple Snaffle (7800's 25th birthday game)

GroovyBee

The last month has flown by. The game will be finished I've just been working on my "C" 7800 development system instead.

Are you going to make this development system publicly available at some point - it sounds like a nice way to write 7800 code?

Chris

Are you going to make this development system publicly available at some point - it sounds like a nice way to write 7800 code?

Thats the plan. The first version of the library used in Wasp! wasn't as flexible as I'd hoped after I found out how MARIA's DMA behaves on the real machine. The new version is much more flexible :D. I've also been working on the graphics conversion tool so that 160A, 160B, 320A and 320B modes are all supported. I'm not sure if I'll support the 7800's 320C and 320D modes.

• 1 month later...

I really like the look and feel of this. I'm very excited to see something new for the 7800. BTW, I LOVE the name you chose. That couldn't be better.

I'm good with art, (freehand and Photoshop), but I've never worked with pixels for anything on an 8-bit system. I really need to learn the sprite limitations of the system so I can help out with various projects like this.

• 4 weeks later...

One thing I noticed with Apple Snaffle - on an NTSC machine, the right fifth of the screen is blank, except for the indicator at the bottom. Is this by design?

Yep! Its pushing MARIA to the maximum. Hopefully there will be enough MARIA display cycles left to center the display in the final version.

• 4 weeks later...

One thing I noticed with Apple Snaffle - on an NTSC machine, the right fifth of the screen is blank, except for the indicator at the bottom. Is this by design?

Yep! Its pushing MARIA to the maximum. Hopefully there will be enough MARIA display cycles left to center the display in the final version.

Lots of colors, moving objects, smooth scrolling and great artwork. Excellent quality all around! Only thing I struggle with is finding the 'last apple'.

How many levels do you think it will be in the end?

Lots of colors, moving objects, smooth scrolling and great artwork. Excellent quality all around! Only thing I struggle with is finding the 'last apple'.

Thanks for the compliments.

How many levels do you think it will be in the end?

I'm hoping there will be around 40 levels or so. I'm also hoping to hold a level design contest on AA too. I just need to do a bit more work to make that possible. As soon as Apple Snaffle gets its slot on my todo list I'll post an updated binary.

I'm hoping there will be around 40 levels or so. I'm also hoping to hold a level design contest on AA too. I just need to do a bit more work to make that possible. As soon as Apple Snaffle gets its slot on my todo list I'll post an updated binary.

40 levels might make a 7800 record. Closest I can think of is DARK CHAMBERS with 26.

• 5 months later...

I've been looking forward to seeing more of this for a long time. I was never even a fan of that *ahem* "Rock Run" game, but I love this. Maybe there's just something about the apples, the look of the character, and the overall feel of the game that I find so much more appealing than the other big game of this genre.

Find attached the latest version (that appeared at CGE) :-

AppleSnaffle_23_07_10.1.30.a78

AppleSnaffle_23_07_10.1.30.bin

No changes are required to your CC2 config files.

It was a year to the day between this refresh and the previous release :(. Time certainly has flown by in the last year.

There are now two new fully playable levels making a total of four. The access codes for the new levels have changed :P.

• Like 1

Find attached the latest version (that appeared at CGE) :-

AppleSnaffle_23_07_10.1.30.a78

AppleSnaffle_23_07_10.1.30.bin

No changes are required to your CC2 config files.

It was a year to the day between this refresh and the previous release :(. Time certainly has flown by in the last year.

There are now two new fully playable levels making a total of four. The access codes for the new levels have changed :P.

Nice work! The nagging non-centered display has been fixed. Game looks really sharp! Can't wait to get the real cart.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Awesome game, can't wait to buy a cart version from the store. Too bad developers back then did not put as much passion into there games. The animation, all the little things like the drill spinning, this just goes to show this system could do side scrollers well, maybe in even more detail then the NES, keep up the good work. Too bad there are so many good homebrews lately and too little money, currently putting into getting my first 8 bit Atari computer. This is defiantly on the list after that though.