IGNORED

Kirby 2600

atari2600land

Great work it is coming along very nicely. I do have one question if I may, how did you duplicate the spikes? I have tried to add multiple enemies and figure it out. Sorry if it is a simple question.

I used a TIA register (NUSIZ=$##) the only drawback to this is the sprites have to be the same, and they move in unison. Also, if you want more than one enemy, there is the multisprite kernel, but then the playfield would have to be symmetrical.

While playing Kirby's Dream Land 2 for inspiration, it occured to me that sucking and blowing out blocks is kind of a Kirby game staple. So, starting with this version, I've included it, although the blocks you can suck up aren't on every screen. Also, sucking up blocks and spitting them out will be the way to defeat level 1's boss. Bosses will have their very own houses with doors. Like in level one of Kirby's Dream Land, the boss will be a giant tree, only this giant tree will spit out enemies at you (the smileys, ones you can't suck up.) and blocks will regenerate at the left side of the screen, and the tree will be on the right. Your goal (once I get the boss's house up and running, which will be a while because I'm only half way done with level 1.) is to hit the tree with blocks while avoiding the enemies he spits out at you. This version i've uploaded starts on screen 22, the first (and only, so far) screen with blocks, this is sort of a test to see if I could actually do this. Tomorrow's version will start at the beginning and hopefully I'll think up of more screens and put them up. To encourage people to use the blocks to hit enemies with, if you hit an enemy with a block, you get 200 points (as opposed to the 100 you get if you suck one up.)

kirby052709.bas.bin

kirby052709.bas

It is coming along nicely, although it is possible to cheat and simply fly over all the levels. You could use a superchip kernel, as the Harmony cart (which will allow superchip games to be released in cart form) will soon be released.

Chris

I'm taking a little break from programming this game because I feel a little burnt out since working almost non-stop on it for the past week. I'll still finish it, but for the next week or two, will be thinking mainly about level designing while not programming anything (and "drawing more inspiration" by playing more Kirby games.) There's a question I'd like to ask: Is level 1 too short, should I add some more screens to it, or should I start working on the Boss level when I come back to this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Since Kirby's Epic Yarn is coming out, i've decided to start work on this again. After you beat level 1, level 2 doesn't really do anything yet, but since it's an ice world, I made Kirby slip and slide whenever he stops moving in it.

kirby101810.bas

kirby101810.bas.bin

Not to throw a bucket of cold water on things, but you are aware that you can't use copyrighted or trademarked characters without the copyright or trademark holders permission, right? I see a C&D coming your way in the near future.

Other than that the game looks great.

Edited by OldAtarian

Not to throw a bucket of cold water on things, but you are aware that you can't use copyrighted or trademarked characters without the copyright or trademark holders permission, right? I see a C&D coming your way in the near future.

Other than that the game looks great.

Just rename it Birki... Great game, didn't reach level two, yet

Comedy Central didn't go after me for my Terrance and Phillip game I made. And yes, I will continue this even if Nintendo issues me a C&D (which I doubt they will, though), I'll just redesign the character and take the Kirby reference out. All the enemies are not in the Kirby universe, so I think that would suffice enough. Anyway, I just contacted the guy who composed the music for level 1 to see if he would like to continue. So until/if he comes up with something, the music for level 1 will continue in level 2. Speaking of level 2, I began to design a few screens for this level. And also, I'm thinking level 3 will be a desert level where he goes into a pyramid in the middle of it. Level 2's boss is the Abominable Snowman. The snowman's name is Frosty (yes, I'm aware of the 2007 Holiday Cart, I worked on it after all, and unless the guy who programmed Stay Frosty pops his head in here and objects) All the enemies that aren't bosses I'm looking to have their names end in 'y.'

kirby101810_2.bas.bin

kirby101810_2.bas

It took a few days, but I totally revamped the code. Although I did make the code a lot simpler, everything is normal except for a few bugs here and there. One of the bugs is that when flying, if you don't move left or right, you will fall faster than the other version. And since you can no longer press down to go down to the next playfield, I had to remove some screens that depended on this. Why did I revamp the main part's code? So I could do something special for the castle, and have the pink guy move through GoSub-style mazes without the game freaking out.

kirby102010.bas

kirby102010.bas.bin

I'm seeming to have trouble with the new code. This latest build starts at screen 27. Everything is fine when you're flying and hit a wall from the side, but not so well when you hit a wall from the bottom, something like the picture below can happen. What I want to do is prevent that. If you'd like to take a look at my code, the problem starts at what I think is line 1,520.

post-9475-128766008362_thumb.png

kirby102110.bas

kirby102110.bas.bin