IGNORED

Kirby 2600

atari2600land

The snowman's name is Frosty (yes, I'm aware of the 2007 Holiday Cart, I worked on it after all, and unless the guy who programmed Stay Frosty pops his head in here and objects)

why would I object? Calling a snowman Frosty goes back long before I was even born.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I really like the way you code the music ingame because it's really memory optimized, but I can't understand how the musicData and beatData works.

Is it something like that:

musicData:

1,2,3 with "1" for tone of Channel 0, "2" for tone of channel 1, "3" for channel 0...

beatData:

1,2,3 with "1" for duration of note 1, "2" duration of note 2...

or is it totally something else?

Hey, jbaudrand --

I got your PM but thought it would be easier just to reply here. I wrote the music but didn't actually code the music engine (IIRC it was coded by Kisrael), but I can tell you how it works, more or less. The data tables for musicData and beatData control the two voices of the TIA. The data is stored in pairs of numbers, where the first number is a 5-bit number representing pitch (31 is lowest) which is sent to AUDFx, and the second one is duration as expressed in 60Hz frames. "-1" means silence, so if you have something like

31,6,-1,2

That means "play note #31 for 6/60 of a second, then be silent for 2/60 of a second".

You'll note that this doesn't allow for direct alteration of volume (AUDVx) or timbre (AUDCx), and I've since moved on to an updated version of this music engine that adds more fine-grained control. But the simple engine I used for the music atari2600land has incorporated into his game is a good place to start. I hope this is helpful!

Edited by thegoldenband
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good luck to you on this. I hope to see some more future "demakes" of popular NES and up titles in the future. I'm all for it.

It's funny that you're doing a Kirby game. My next game I was going to make was going to be my first original with influences from Mega Man and Kirby and I'm going to experiment with 8 way scroll for the first time.

• Like 2

I personally hope he will go with his own original work. I'm tired of being scared of takedowns. I'm tired of Zippy being compared to consoles many generations ahead of the 2600.

For the love of all animals great and small Sprybugs work stands on its own! Let the eBay price gougers and big company lawyers chew on something else. :)

• Like 1

I personally hope he will go with his own original work. I'm tired of being scared of takedowns. I'm tired of Zippy being compared to consoles many generations ahead of the 2600.

For the love of all animals great and small Sprybugs work stands on its own! Let the eBay price gougers and big company lawyers chew on something else. :)

Thanks Loon. Now that I got what I wanted out of the way and know what I can do, I want to do my very own platformer from scratch so I can actually embrace the limitations of the 2600 and use it as some game play mechanics. Some ideas for power ups including a playfeild block shooter where you can actually shoot playfield blocks that stick to other playfield blocks. This would be required in some parts of the levels to get by. Another power up would be the playfield dissolver, which does the exact opposite of the other power up. Other power ups would be different kinds of weapons and abilities, quite possibly one that puts you in triplicate (using NUSIZ registers). The power ups would be gathered from the enemies that you defeat in the level. Each ability has it's own ammunition/power bar, which would go down by one when you use it. You can recharge them by defeating an enemy of the same ability/power. You also hold onto the power that you get and would be able to "cycle" through them by pressing down and fire. Just some thoughts on the game.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

We'll be featuring Kirby 2600 LIVE on today's (Friday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Kirby 2600 (2010) by Chris Read aka atari2600land
- Keep Away by (2009) by John A. Reder aka Neuronic
- Bombs Away! (2010) by Steve Engelhardt aka Atarius Maximus
- Tennis (1981 Activision Patch Challenge) by Alan Miller

Archive Video of Stream

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew