IGNORED

Speaking of Fighters -- Beats of Rage?

JagCD

I know a lot of people want a Final FIght or Streets of Rage style game for the Jaguar.

Has anyone considered porting over "Beats of Rage" -- it was a very well done homebrewed

game for the PC. I think the Jaguar has enough processing power to do this game well.

Here are some screenshots:

Screenshots

Download the game

Here is the developer:

http://www.senileteam.com/"]Team Senile[/url]

Just food for thought. I believe the code is open sourced.

Edited by JagCD

What about JagCD? That's surely big enough. All the BorMod Dreamcast disc images fit on a cd-r too. :)

The mods themselves aren't made to work that way. If you made special mods just for the Jag, or got somebody to convert each mod to the Jag one at a time, maybe...

In the AvP BorMod, for example, it's 22MB music (let's skip that), 8MB chars, and 2MB backgrounds, and 600KB sound.

The JagCD latency is very high so you can't just load the images you need on the fly. (Unless you like loading screens every three steps. ;) So you would have to somehow reorganize the chars and backgrounds so that only the pieces visible on a given level are loaded, right at the beginning. Even then slicing up 10MB of stuff into 1MB of DRAM (giving room for the engine) would be a tough fit.

Also note that those are compressed images. GIF decompression isn't a walk in the park at 60FPS on the Jaguar, so you'll probably end up decompressing the images in advance. That needs even more memory, although RLE coding might work okay on some games.

In any case, it's still a nice engine, and it's a good start for someone who wants to make a beat'em'up on the Jaguar. It's a bit much to expect it to run unaltered PAKs off the net unless you've got a 16MB RAM upgrade in your Jaguar. ;)

- KS

I though golden axe was a slightly better game

It would be simpler... The graphics would be basic but there's always room for improvement especially when it comes to the Jag.

Most Genesis fans I know were bigger fans of the Streets of Rage series.

Golden Axe 1 was great -- but most people I talk to about Sega were disappointed with Golden Axe 2.

I've really never heard anything negative about Streets of Rage 1, 2 or 3. Most people pick Streets of Rage 2 as their fav.... I am

a bit partial to the first one -- since it started it all.

I though golden axe was a slightly better game

It would be simpler... The graphics would be basic but there's always room for improvement especially when it comes to the Jag.

Most Genesis fans I know were bigger fans of the Streets of Rage series.

Golden Axe 1 was great -- but most people I talk to about Sega were disappointed with Golden Axe 2.

I've really never heard anything negative about Streets of Rage 1, 2 or 3. Most people pick Streets of Rage 2 as their fav.... I am

a bit partial to the first one -- since it started it all.

Golden Ax 2 was a little dissapointing, I still wouldn't mind using the engine and tweaking it a bit for the Jag. SOR 2 was the game that made the biggest impact to me.