IGNORED

Video Game Stores in Connecticut

Theres gotta be someone on AA who lives in Connecticut besides me. I'm just wondering if you know any stores, flea markets, or thrift/pawn shops that you commonly see old video games sold at. I go to the following flea markets. I'll rate the number of games i see at them on a scale of 1 to 10 in case you are wondering the same thing as I am:

Redwoods in North Haven (7)

Maplewood Indoor Flea Market in New Milford (10)

Elephant's trunk in New Milford (2)

Newington flea market (?)

I sometimes see games at Redwoods but they are usually sold at rip off prices. $3 for a horrible condition 2600 game?? HAH :roll: !

If you live in or are planning to visit Connecticut, Maplewood is must for games. Theres one guy there who sells atari games for $.50 each and has boxes of them. He also has tons of systems like Dreamcast, all models of the Genesis, Coleco Gemini, about 6 2600s and 2 cases for them, i think 2 Magnavox tabletops, a Saturn, and more hiding in his shelves. One downside to this particular flea market is that since it is indoor, the people can leave all their stuff in there and it gets all dusty and disgusting, but still, I bought most of my 2600 games, my Intellivision, my 5200, my 2600, and my TurboGrafx 16 (all in their boxes) for practically dirt cheap and they all work (except for 1 2600 game). Sure I found tons of dust and a spider in my Intellivision but I cleaned that baby out and she looks brand-spankin new.

I heard a guy bought a box of about 30-50 Atari 2600 games for $5 and traded a cigarette for a Super Nintendo. I personally never found any games there.

I'm planning on going to the Newington flea market in hope of finding some games.

So just tell me if you have any seen some good places to buy old games in Connecticut.

Well Connecticut is a very small state so you probably are the only one on AA who is from there.

Allan

I'm from CT. I don't live near any of those flea markets except Newington. I live near Hartford. Where is the Newington flea market?

I was joking of course. Yea there are a number of yankees here on AA. One of these days we'll have to have a Connecticut get together.

Allan

And the reason there isn't much at the Redwoods fleamarket is that I get all the stuff there so there isn't anything left after I go there. :)

Allan

I notice you live in Wallingford. I was wondering (sorry this is off topic) if you have been to the Chevy Theater? I haven't been there since it's the Oakdale. I'm going in August to see a concert and was wondering if you had any advice/tips also a good place around there to get some food? Not too expensive if possible!

thanks

PS. I rarely find any deals at tag sales and lately even Craiglist in CT is getting crazy (people asking outrageous prices for retro stuff). The best things I've found locally are when a system first becomes last gen and stores haven't carried any games in a while. I've picked up n64 lots at great prices and if I was so inclined (PS2 is my system of choice for last gen) I see a lot of original xbox deals on craigslist and at tag sales etc.. now that Gamestop has discontinued taking in used systems.

Well Connecticut is a very small state so you probably are the only one on AA who is from there.

Allan

I'm from CT. I don't live near any of those flea markets except Newington. I live near Hartford. Where is the Newington flea market?

It's called The Big K Open Air Flea Market. Downtown Newington at junction of Ct Rte 175 & 176 in municipal parking area behind street front buildings. Sundays during April, May and June. It's in a parking lot near a Curves For Women place. IDK about this one because i went last week and nothing was there, but oddly i found a sign that said it was open from April to June.

And the reason there isn't much at the Redwoods fleamarket is that I get all the stuff there so there isn't anything left after I go there. :)

Allan

I notice you live in Wallingford. I was wondering (sorry this is off topic) if you have been to the Chevy Theater? I haven't been there since it's the Oakdale. I'm going in August to see a concert and was wondering if you had any advice/tips also a good place around there to get some food? Not too expensive if possible!

thanks

PS. I rarely find any deals at tag sales and lately even Craiglist in CT is getting crazy (people asking outrageous prices for retro stuff). The best things I've found locally are when a system first becomes last gen and stores haven't carried any games in a while. I've picked up n64 lots at great prices and if I was so inclined (PS2 is my system of choice for last gen) I see a lot of original xbox deals on craigslist and at tag sales etc.. now that Gamestop has discontinued taking in used systems.

I've actually never been to the Chevy Theater or when it was the Oakdale. I do drive right by it just about every day though. About food. Well there is two good Italian places on the same road. One close by and one down the raod a bit going south. Other than that there are a number of decent dinners on route 5 that run parallel with the Merritt Parkway. Also there are a number of chain resturants on route 5 like Applebees, Friendlys, etc.

Allan

Edited by Allan

• 7 months later...

If you live in CT and are looking for games your best bet is to drive straight up 91 and don't stop until you hit Chicopee, MA. Video Game Castle is home to the $1 crates of all things pre-NES. Don't see what you are looking for? Ask them to bring up the boxes from the basement. Great staff there, I would highly recommend making the trip.

• 4 months later...

hey connecticut atari fans. im selling my collection. about 300+ games of atari.... having a tag sale this weekend over 1000+ of my games ( nes/sega/coleco) games up for sale... time to move on....

let me know if anyone wants a sneak peak of the games before this weekend...

Dave

dragonstomper. just emailed you... let me know, or else i can always send you what I have after the sale. that way i can feel better about giving you a lower price!!! and it will be nice to see it restocking an awesome store.. im def hitting you guys up next time up there...

Edited by bukeus

dragonstomper. just emailed you... let me know, or else i can always send you what I have after the sale. that way i can feel better about giving you a lower price!!! and it will be nice to see it restocking an awesome store.. im def hitting you guys up next time up there...

I presume that you meant this for me? :D Got your email. Shoot me a quote for all the boxed Genesis that you have left.

Thanks,

Dane

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There's a new store in Orange, CT on the Post road called Games X Change. It's apparently some company based in Arkansas, but somehow one came to CT. They have oodles of classic games and consoles, and some Atari stuff. I was pleasantly surprised by it. There was a place called Shakespeare's in Trumbull who had plenty of classic stuff, but was way overpriced and I'm not even sure he's still around anymore.

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody. I live in Wallingford.

I am glad to see a gathering of Nutmeggers. I clean up at Redwood all the time...I dont play with the overpriced stuff, I just tell them what I will pay for the games, and then they fold and accept it. I dont haggle...I dont have the time usually. So I show them the cash in my hand and they all are willing to sell.

There is one guy that I wont deal with because he is a lying sack of poo. Made a deal with him to buy FF3 & Ducktales 2 for $40 and he agreed (he gave me that price)...we shook hands, I went to the ATM, then when I get back he was on his cell phone asking somebody to look up the games on Ebay...in spanish ofcourse...but little did he know that I am an albino Puerto Rican, and I understood everything he was saying...He closed his ohone and then tells me that he wont let them go for less than $35 EACH.

Other than that I have people that sell there call me before they go, I buy their stuff 7 days a week. Needless to say, I have a bunch of Atari stuff that I would like to pass onto a fellow local(ish). I am willing to trade for SNES & N64 games I need.

I am glad to see a gathering of Nutmeggers. I clean up at Redwood all the time...I dont play with the overpriced stuff, I just tell them what I will pay for the games, and then they fold and accept it. I dont haggle...I dont have the time usually. So I show them the cash in my hand and they all are willing to sell.

There is one guy that I wont deal with because he is a lying sack of poo. Made a deal with him to buy FF3 & Ducktales 2 for $40 and he agreed (he gave me that price)...we shook hands, I went to the ATM, then when I get back he was on his cell phone asking somebody to look up the games on Ebay...in spanish ofcourse...but little did he know that I am an albino Puerto Rican, and I understood everything he was saying...He closed his ohone and then tells me that he wont let them go for less than $35 EACH.

Other than that I have people that sell there call me before they go, I buy their stuff 7 days a week. Needless to say, I have a bunch of Atari stuff that I would like to pass onto a fellow local(ish). I am willing to trade for SNES & N64 games I need.

Hey, you're getting all my stuff. :) Just kidding. That's cool. I wonder who that guy is your talking about. I go to the Wallingford flea market all the time.

I've gotten quite a number of great stuff from there.

If you want to get together with some of us for some classic gaming, let us know.

Allan

• 7 months later...

Hey, you're getting all my stuff. :) Just kidding. That's cool. I wonder who that guy is your talking about. I go to the Wallingford flea market all the time.

I've gotten quite a number of great stuff from there.

If you want to get together with some of us for some classic gaming, let us know.

Allan

I have a feeling I know who ur talking about...does he have bins of games fs? He is there occasionally, rip off prices. I know 3-4 video game vendors there very very well, always put stuff aside for me...'cept this guy who I refuse to deal with. :thumbsdown: