IGNORED

Are you going to buy a Harmony cart for the Atari 2600?

The Harmony Cartridge  

262 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to buy a Harmony cart?

• Yes!
    • No.
    • Maybe, if it doesn

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hell yes I'd buy one!

This is the first I heard of it though :)

Dang, you been livin' under a rock?

:)

Yep.

I rarely venture into a lot of these other subforums.

If it was only mentioned in hardware, that is why I missed it.

I only posted a question in here a few days ago to try and resolve my Atari project issue. So This is the first time I ventured over here.

Not sure if this has been answered yet.

What kind of SD carts are supported and up to which size?

All SD and SDHC cards should work. Older MMC cards will not work, and micro-SD cards (with an adaptor) may not work. This allows up to 32GB, which should be more than enough for every Atari 2600 game that will ever be written :)

Chris

Not sure if this has been answered yet.

What kind of SD carts are supported and up to which size?

All SD and SDHC cards should work. Older MMC cards will not work, and micro-SD cards (with an adaptor) may not work. This allows up to 32GB, which should be more than enough for every Atari 2600 game that will ever be written :)

Chris

To expand on that: Harmony uses SPI to talk to SD cards, but the micro-SD spec does not require SPI. However, as I understand, most micro-SD cards support SPI anyway, so it will probably work but we can't guarantee it.

If one wants to use micro-SD with an adapter, stick with quality, name-brand cards and you'll probably be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

My expenses for this project are well into the 4-figure range, and I need to spend a few hundred dollars more this week.

To help raise some money, I have two Rev. 4 prototypes for sale. The price is $150/ea. Yes, I know that's a lot but there are only 6 of these in existence, and both boards have been changed slightly for the next revision so this exact design will not be duplicated.

I have struggled with the decision to sell these prototypes and struggled a lot with the asking price. I fully expect the upcoming pre-production version will be roughly half this price and the mass-production version will be cheaper still. If you can wait, you probably should. But if you suffer from early adopter syndrome and absolutely must have one now, here's your chance. These are fully assembled and working, have the latest BIOS loaded and ready to go. Just plug in your SD card full of games - no setup needed on your end. I will put them in a cart shell complete with prototype label before sending them off.

PM if interested, and payment must be made with Paypal using Paypal funds or bank funds. I cannot accept card-funded Paypal payments at this time as I reached my quota of 5 already. I need this money in Paypal to pay for a run of Rev. 5 boards.

First come, first serve. Shipping will be insured, delivery-confirmed USPS priority mail (free shipping in the USA.)

post-5792-125117129739_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Can I ask if the Harmony cart will work properly in a FlashBack 2 that has been modded to plug cartridges into it? I'm sure it will work but I specifically want to know one particular detail. I own a Krokodile Kart and as much as I love that unit, it has a limitation in the FB2. I should be able to load multiple games onto the cart and choose them from the built-in menu. I say "should be" because from what I have heard this menu works perfectly well in a real 2600. Since I don't have one but use my modded FB2 instead, I was a bit disappointed to discover the menu system does not work in the Krokodile Kart. It's not a big deal, I can still load a single game on my Kart and have it work just fine, but if the Harmany cart will allow me to select from a list of games on my FB2 then you can add me to the list of interested buyers.

Can I ask if the Harmony cart will work properly in a FlashBack 2 that has been modded to plug cartridges into it? I'm sure it will work but I specifically want to know one particular detail. I own a Krokodile Kart and as much as I love that unit, it has a limitation in the FB2. I should be able to load multiple games onto the cart and choose them from the built-in menu. I say "should be" because from what I have heard this menu works perfectly well in a real 2600. Since I don't have one but use my modded FB2 instead, I was a bit disappointed to discover the menu system does not work in the Krokodile Kart. It's not a big deal, I can still load a single game on my Kart and have it work just fine, but if the Harmany cart will allow me to select from a list of games on my FB2 then you can add me to the list of interested buyers.

According to Batari it works, but games that dont' work on the modded FB2 won't work with the Harmony either.

:lust: :lust: :lust:

Part of me says "OooOOOoooh Pretty" and the other says "WTF are you going to do with it? Act like you're really going to get back into programming games just to justify the purchase?" Ugh. Torn and hating it. I'm on the maybe list. Once payday rolls around again I may switch to the yes list. Did I mention I was a recovering impulse buyer? :lolblue:

According to Batari it works, but games that dont' work on the modded FB2 won't work with the Harmony either.

While I'm sure the usual FB2 issues will occur (Cosmic Ark has no star field, H.E.R.O. won't run, etc.) what I'm actually asking is will the menu of games work on an FB2? They don't on a Krokodile Kart inserted in a FB2. The menu of a Krokodile Kart does work on a real 2600. Will the Harmony menu work on a FB2?

To help raise some money

Why not take some money in for pre-orders ?

No don't. That path has been used many times around here... usually with negative consequences. No orders until you have a RTM version.

Yes, I don't like the idea of taking people's money when production versions are at least few months off.

Oh, and the two prototypes have been sold, in case anyone was wondering.

• Like 2

When the Harmony cartridge becomes available, I plan to buy at least one. I love having a Krok cart, but the Harmony cartridge will let me test my Atari 2600 works in progress faster and easier than ever before. I can't wait to try an SD card with it. The Harmony cartridge is going to make working on games a lot more fun.

What is a Harmony cartridge?

What is a Harmony cartridge?

I edited the first post, adding quoted posts from this thread that contain info about the Harmony cartridge. Pretty much anything the average user would want to know about the Harmony cartridge can now be found in the first post.