IGNORED

Are you going to buy a Harmony cart for the Atari 2600?

The Harmony Cartridge  

262 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to buy a Harmony cart?

• Yes!
    • No.
    • Maybe, if it doesn

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I'll do some better video here in a bit. My capture card setup is great. Does full frame captures, but my 2600 video mod kind of sucks... I just did the quick 'n dirty Ben Heck deal. Anyone want to PM me with the best kit, or some easy to build on perf board schematic?

It's cool though! Pitfall II runs perfectly, and it will run all day long. Left it for a while and it just does it's thing.

DOH!! Never tried using the button. Oh well, everybody can see the menus are nice and fast when browsing forward. There is a pause going back a page, but it's minor league really.

The menu text is very readable on an ordinary TV. Impressive really. I had no idea I would ever see that on the VCS!!

Funny thing too. My actual Pitfall II cart just crapped out. Was going to run it to just compare and no joy...

I didn't know about Pitfall II+ ?!? Anyone have a ROM? Hell, maybe I have the ROM. Don't know. (goes off to look through the pile of test ROMs)

Teaser pic:

post-5792-1248556337_thumb.jpg

As you can see by the yellow wires, the daughterboard needs another prototype run... But it's working nonetheless.

I'm hoping the next round of prototypes will be the last, and this can start production and be available for the holidays. Stay tuned!

I'm hoping the next round of prototypes will be the last, and this can start production and be available for the holidays. Stay tuned!

That would be great. Can't wait to get my first one. I'll buy more after the initial release in the following months. Then all I'll need are a few new 21st century Atari 2600 clones that take cartridges and I'll be all set.

Very nice!

Looking at the split in the board, I'm guessing you've designed this with Melody in mind, and a Melody is a Harmony without the upper half?

And if the LED pads get populated in the production run, it looks like we'll have blinkenlights folks! :D

Very nice!

Looking at the split in the board, I'm guessing you've designed this with Melody in mind, and a Melody is a Harmony without the upper half?

Yes, it was designed that way on purpose. That way, the savings from mass production of Melody can apply to Harmony (partially.) Also, any games developed on a Harmony can be released on Melody boards because they are Melody boards :)
And if the LED pads get populated in the production run, it looks like we'll have blinkenlights folks! :D
Probably not in general, as you wouldn't be able to see them through the black shell :( They were left on the board in hope that someday we'll see the translucent shells again (no, I don't know anything, it's just wishful thinking.)
I wonder how the shell for the cart is going to look, prob resemble the supercharger or cuttlecart.

it will really help me with my game programming when it comes out.

The board fits into a standard Atari shell (with slots dremeled out for the SD card and USB of course.)

Can I have a review of the features of the Harmony as it stands now? Thanks.

They are all available in this thread (or should be.)

Features: Plays all legacy 2600 games up to 32k. USB programmable, SD card slot: FAT12/16/32 compatible, supports SD and SDHC, menu: supports directories, no limit on number of files, auto-detection of bankswitch type. Windows/Mac/Linux programming software. There is much more but that's the gist of it.

Teaser pic:

As you can see by the yellow wires, the daughterboard needs another prototype run... But it's working nonetheless.

That's an SD isn't it? You don't want to go with microSD? It fits so much better in a cart form-factor.

Teaser pic:

That's an SD isn't it? You don't want to go with microSD? It fits so much better in a cart form-factor.

The SD fits perfectly. It is bigger but we had the space. If you really want microSD, you could use an adapter.