IGNORED

"Dangerous" tricks on a system/game that were actually pretty cool

I still dont know flipperless pinball rules and reg please tell me and have you seen any flipperless pinall machines

that was the only one i ever saw .

also just a note the new pinball machines dont just tilt on the hanging tilt anymore they give you 3 chances electronicly 1st but more in likely if you get the hanging tilt going it will short 3 times anyway but at least you get a FEEL of the nudge factor espeiclay near the drain by the electronic bumbers on either side of flippers the outer drains on either side have posts witch decide weather ball drains or goes back to flipper path whell some operators move this post to make it easyer not to drain and some make it harder to make it not drain wow that statement was like we dont need no education back to my point sometimes they move the post to make it easyer or to let you nudge it to keep it from draining this would be a slide the whole machine to the left or the right I dont do that I usually pick machine up if my back is in a good mood and slide it to TEST tilt then if it is to hard then i leave nudgeing out of game if it is a loose tilt then i will pull machine when playing from left to right this is only if i miss ball w fliper and its not a agressive move to damage machine its a normal nudge .

how many are in favor of a bumber beneith the drain or some bumper that lets you bounce ball back from cirtain death I personally dont like magnasave I want three rows of buttons 1st flipper 2nd magnasave buttons 3rd buttons magnasave disable witch lights a light on score like a decimal point we all know pinball score dont have decimals anyway it would indicate during gameplay weather you have magnasave SENCE enabled this is cause I KNOW magnasave senses where ball is like traffic light hall effect sensors do whell a magnasave coil is a coil and a coil is a coil is a coil and a hall effect coil/metal detector is a coil so what if its powerfull enough to be a magnasave coil I want the ability to disable power to the coil right before i use it or right after i use it so it cant engage disenglage throw ball then reingage to see how far ball is away from where it let go somehow the damn things know exactly where the ball is or how mutch and how th throw it if you hold it down through full cycle I am amazed by this even though i know how it works i always screw up and almost let it drain the ball just to watch it sence now if you could disable power from magnasave but leave sence on wouldnt that be cool to have machine still sence ball w out magnasave i guess you would hold mag save button on then push desence button above it and hold desence then let go of magnasave and unless you let go of nudge desence button it would not resnag ball I cant wait till someone has a electronic nudge meaning you could choose normal or elctro nudge magnasave hmm lets call it elector nudge .

also hall effect sence on a pinball machine could run a really cool DEMO MODE it could snag ball right to where it wanted it of course that machine would cost a fortune to build w all those demo magnasave coils.

whoooly crap i need nap again but i am going to force my self to play pinball this week.

Im going to make off topic fav pinball machine made between 2005 and now.

flicking the on/off switch rapidly.

Yes, it's called "frying". This can often yield crazy benefits.

I was able to trick some arcade games' coin mechanisms by dropping in a slug, or foreign currency.

And Random, I gotta concur with the others.. bumping the table has always been a part of pinball playing.. you don't have to do it if you don't want to, of course.. it just adds a cool skill element where you try to bump but not too much, else the classic TILT sign comes up and you lose a ball. If bumping were really discouraged, your game should flat out end, not just result in the loss of one turn.

I thought that was cool that the Atari 2600 version of Atari Pinball let you guide the ball with the button and joystick to act as a bump, and if done too much the screen would go red (tilt) and the bumpers/flippers wouldn't work, and you would eventually lose a ball (you could still guide it around and avoid the hole(s), but you couldn't score any more points that turn).

OMG OMG when i was a kid my freind allen would always like pinball and we would have contests to see who could get high score I was pretty good w Atari 2600 flippers but one day he kept getting the atari symbol over and over again i was like WTF how did you do that he said i cheat i said how he said just push the button fire button and move i was like oh yea cool and every time I would screw around so mutch i would always tilt then i would REALLLY screw w the nudge and figured out the bumpers hidden in each side drain then one always gave free ball cause it was the plunger tube but the other one if on right side would bounce back out I finnaly a couple of years ago figured out how to train my brain to figure the timing out to not drain I usually just tap I no longer HOLD till turn red untill it tilts but its so fun.. after tilt you can really play w drain tube bumpers witch let it if its on right side of left tube to bounce back.

its like in quake 1 if you have a grapple hook witch normal game does not come with only online mods had grapple hooks there is a quad damage pentagram star witch gives health points for 10 seconds in witch w out grapple hook you would never reach.

quake 1 has been replaces w quake2 online as to desensitize you to entitys once we ganged up on a online monster

on quake1 we had teamfotress so we could shoot each other w no damage I didnt understand that at 1st good thing i leaned DUH get back to reality there are differnt versions to a video game you dont make a video game an alt reality anyway after a couple of games and someone said same team im just visiting other team no unfreandly fire i was like oH its a truce game but frendly fire kills anyway they left frendly fire disabled so we were all on same team then we went to entity a big ugly two headed smaller monster bigger than us but not the huge one and we all ganged up on it and finnally killed it after that i was like HMM those monsters in quake are just bots and anti cheat disabled people from using dogs as bots now a dog thats subposed to be youre bot or one that has god mode cause some dogs in some maps were like that unless you blew it up w greanade or rocket it just kept rollling over and getting back up it would yelp then roll over play dead then roll again recompost its stance and growl after that i was desence atized to playing quake by my self w out scaring my self surround sound with DOOM or will scare the hell out of you my mom came in and starteled the hell out of me after that i couldnt play doom anymore cause the surround sound would scare me this was cause it was 4am and my mom stays up late painting water color and watching tv she is a night owl like me and i didnt expect her to check to see what i was doing but she came in and said what are you doing in a interesed voice i jumped almost had a heart attack my heart was racing I said you cared the shit out of me she said why dont you goto bed I said now after you starteled me it will take me longer.

after that i finnaly got surround back when i played quake1 w the right priced cd of BOSTON I wish there was still quake 1 matches online using the original maps cause if you put boston in instead of quake the cd tracks control witch map comes next thats why nine inch nails has no label they made there own records! volume in drive d has no label.

OH once i was futzing w a lottery printer my boss from convience store threw away and said HEY ADAM want that old lottery printer w the scroll the paper is to expensive and they suck anyway I said yes it was either serial or parralell i cant remember but i got it to work by cutting fax paper in band saw in half to make it fit! I was futzing w shareware version of quake now you remember you just cant get to level 2 or 3 playing game on shareware by youre self!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you were in online game you could do it anyway but had to be playing a network game I finnaly GOT it I got it free cause i actually bought the $9.99 version the shareware was that some share ware is not free only FREEWARE is FREE!!! this blew my mind i got a full verison of quake for free at least the online version witch i didnt relalize the full version was for playing those maps your self I was still desinsitizeing my self from sutpid alt reality crocks now i know the only alt reality is TV.

anyway i was listing dir /v on lotto printer and got chineese or japaneese charators but along with those it printed hidden information like a directory called PHLEM I was like wtf and my freind who downloaded the whole quake 1 before they sent him the cd cause zomax hadnt even released quake1 yet it was so new the cd's werent even printed and so he got one of the 1st copies in the box I lost my box and my cd has a crack in it so it wont play I need to go on ebay and get a nother shareware cd to keep in my collection.

so if you play cd 1 on music cd not shareware or regular quake I guess my new quake 1 quake 2 and quake3 cd might work cause it has the nin cause its quake but i want the original burn . when you play using a nother cd the cd who has the cd playing the maps change based on the cd I guess I figured that out by mistake or just realized when every one else kept bitching why does it keep going to that same level i said witch boston track and someone else on the internet in multi game said brb then the map changed and i was able to play listning to my cd w out having to worry about witch track it was on but the phlem dir must have been the quake shareware dir where if you gave credit card info it had a copy of pak1.pak or quake.exe i cant remember what locked it but that cd was cool it was exacly like sonic cd rom where the cd track 0 was not audio on quake but on normal cd players track 0 comes up as nothing hmm now i want to burn a music cd w track 0 as a .cda wav

Tilting, bumping, wiggling, etc... is part of the game of pinball. They have sensors on the machines so that you don't exceed the mechanical limits of the thing.

The reality is the physical element is there. I know if my ball is teetering on a pin, where one direction means lost ball, and the other keeps it in play, I'm gonna nudge! The best of the best when I was a kid all did it, and it is something to see.

Of course, nobody has to do it, and the sensor is there for those that get abusive. All good.

And, in other sports where the physical element is there, the good players use every bit of leverage they can, without running afoul of the rules. Either that is the way a person rolls, or it isn't, but it sure as heck isn't cheating.

Another analogy is poker. It's all about the cards right? WRONG! What is said at the table, how it is said, when, with what bets, etc... all is a factor. Get somebody pissed, or drunk, or nervous, then take their chips, while trying to make sure you don't end up in the same state!

I can think of lots of examples where that kind of thing comes into play. It just happens, and if somebody wants to compete, they've got to step up and be aware of it.

That said, nothing more than a simple nudge is all it takes. No slamming, no abuse, no nothing. Many sensors don't allow any more than that anyway, rendering the point moot. To me, playing a game for a bit of fun means PLAYING the game. All elements considered, maybe even figuring out new ones. Patterns, tilts, funky control combinations, bugs, etc... A game is a simple experience. It really is what you make of it. I never went for the high score board as much as I did just pulling off fun stuff, whatever it was.

Thats why he brought it up I must have been thinking about the anti cheat mech in the 1936 pinball machine.

whell 1936 was the 1st pattent stamped on the 5¢ coin slot slide...

that remind me def dumb blind kid shure plays a mean pinball now that i think about that machine i bet it was a bally cause the little notes inside the machine had the same fonts and were jagged like instruction cards found in my bally space invaders and wiz wor cabinet then one that says 110V had the same jagged edge and was labled the same way. I still love crimson and clover over and over I bet someone was smoking crimson clover and playing

kennys clover I love that song the delay lines are so cool .

want to hear a cool reverb like delay hook the tv tuner on your computer to stereo.

hook youre computer to youre home stereo using the tape IN then take the tape out and run it into the hauppauge or other tv tuner composite audio in then cause the tv tuner is software mode it delays audio unless you turn off the capture in regedit for pvr it makes a howling eccho select windows 98 dangerous creatures explantion point for windows default default sound then do the delay open tv tuner put it on composite in then hook to stereo tape out hook computer speaker out to CD in then click speaker by clock and push mouse and hear the crock bird echho and reverb its cool.

since there is a delay on the tv tuner and youre looking at same source the delay causes a audio delay its cool.

A friend of mine was frying his Sears 6 switcher and lost the sound on it forever. I think it was the Frogger cart at the time. Pulled it out, then shoved it back in, wiggling the power switch to get goofy shapes and game states. Once the sound was gone, it was GONE. Not even a peep from the pins on the chip itself!

That is the only incident though.

Everybody knew the hold down reset and turn on the system trick for double shots.

A few times, I got very dark purple invaders by flicking the power switch. It's a cool color that I've not seen very often. Always wondered about that. Haven't the guts to try it on the machine I have now.

whell i learned something about c-mos the other day .

remember the differnce between c-mos and rom a rom is burned in and stays but c-mos can be updated.

whell shorting c-mos chip on laptop killed drive lock password and got it to detect new memmory and i figured out i blew a memmory chip dropping it on floor and getting static snap anway c-mos chip in laptop had nothing to do w memmory being bad but figuring out memmory was bad and i had 2 128M sticks and that it booted w only one made me happy cause c-mos chip was still GOOD the good news was that the square chip did what i thought it would since it was square it was made more like a cpu it was not c-mos fully only the part that took the boot sector and the stuff you changed were voiltile meaning if you short it out or turn it off it had a back up copy in a nother portion of it self and could have differnt sections if c-mos witch was safe more because only the part that was to be changed would courrupt that made me remember blowing up pitfall II trying to make it work on flashback II my 1st attempt.

I got it working I just had one of the sides of the select built in memmory and cart memmory backwards cause i could see tank but whole screen was full of interference like yars revenge now i know from next attempt the color/bw switch is what i used got stuck between on and off and part of the right or left dp dt double pole double single throw wow single throw means on off not off on up or on down thats a double throw hmm ok anyway one side was still connected so internal memmory was still on my working flashback II mod works backwards instead of shutting pin 6 off on built in it only shuts off the external cart anwyay i saw same interferance and said to my self damn i could have fixed flashback II but i didnt know about atari age yet I could have sent it to someone and had them show me witch wire i screwed up on I also didnt know pitfall II wasnt compatible w flashback II now its blown

hmm if someone could just bankswitch it to a single chip it might boot.

if i run snoopy in my bootleg board on flashback it always boots when going from flashback memmory back to cart hole even if flashback memmory gets stuck in nes on chip menu crock hmm i think that flashback ii is just a nintendo with a atari sound blaster (soundblaster meaning sound circutry) a soundblaster has to have a yamaha chip

with wav tables an atari has pokey and riot chips for sound not emulated but i wonder if thats why the keychains sound crappy is cause the sound wouldnt have fit every one complains about sound being crappy on keychain but did you ever think atari made those versions as collector versions and when playing on sutch small hardware w less memory the sound degrades I was playing atari on a toshiba someone gave me the other day it had harmen karden

speakers and is loud I finnaly realized the volume knob on the front of laptop cause playing mp3 then was trying to get snoopy using DOS stella the old version from my 1st cd rom burn disk i still have from old 6x 4x 2x rw cd rom burner the dos version of stella cant play bezerk voice enchanced but windows version stella x witch happens to work win 98 just fine so does avast so windows 98 is not dead !!!! anyway some games actually do have crappy sound w the old dos version of stella like some of those cool whamma type demos the sound is crappy so i wonder if the keychain is whimping on sound or is it a differnt version I know i wish worlords had more levels so you could be the guy who always gets the ball.

or that there could be a paddle/pot connection for player 2 and a player 2 jumper like the 1 player paddle i modded w real atari paddles , the funny thing my brother snapped a whole in paddle button 2nd night of hanukkah

be broke fire button on p1 paddle i had to flip the button but it still works i had to change out that whole paddle cause it was to brittle good thing my atari stuff is in rubbermaid tote!.

damn i typed a whole lot of stuff and it got deleted cause cookes expired .

anyway i used to flash atari all the time

http://www.eeggs.com/tree/563.html

pinball machines are subposed to be nudged our 1936 kennys clover pinball machine w nickel slot and 5 balls no flippers had a tilt and the only way you could get it to do what you wanted was to nudge it since it didnt have flippers the tilt prevented it from being jostled to mutch..

Wow....People that don't know the difference between flipperless pinball (yeah, that's what they were called, and how they were played) and flippered pinball, and the fact that they are played differently are kinda interesting.

Bet your one of those who also doesn't know the difference between Football and Rugby, or Pool and Nine ball (or any number of other games that have the same roots but are different games)

CONFUSING skiming with using an automatic singer reading machine can fuck someone up

I did not mean to swaer but i had to get the grammer right.

When i was in grade school we had these tape recorders hooked to singer reading machines witch took film strips and had the tape recorder control frame advance of words but the rate at in witch the shutter blocked the word then

lifted to the right uncovering the word was controled by a pot you tuned making it move faster witch would advance faster.

Anyway i cant remember all but i confused skiming with reading so it still takes me 5 times to READ it then 5 more to actually let it sink in and comprehend the whole paragrah .

wow my grammer sucks and so does my PUNKT .

i just realized you gave me 7 times more crap cause i didnt even read youre reply before judgeing it im glad i re read it I relized you already stated ..

Wow....People that don't know the difference between flipperless pinball (yeah, that's what they were called, and how they were played) and flippered pinball, and the fact that they are played differently are kinda interesting.

whats even more interesting is i learned how to use the sidebar of side kick its a no brainer.

onto PLYMOUTH JR high to clean the Cassette tape heads on the cassette copyier hmm job posibility thats the job i wanted anyway was AV department cause thats always fun and easy for me plus i might learn something from the cable company about telecaptions I didnt know.

Edited by awace

Eh, I won't bother with pinball anymore, people just want to shake em or whatever, whatever, and no, I wasn't singling anybody out, that was only the 4th post or so where someone said you were supposed to play like that cause the original machines had no flippers, is all. I wasn't aware the original fliperless ones had tilt sensors in themeither, cool to know, who woulda thought? (guess people were breaking those too :P )

Anyhow.....

I think I burned something out reading the above post :P but it did jog my memory, I remember back in school, they had these learning "computers" (if you could call them that) that had some electronic scoring device, and played records....yeah, records. Well, it was only supposed to play one speed, they were dedicated machines after all, but it had huge mechanical switches to turn the turtable on, and as you pushed it in, the record would run at random speeds untill you got to the point it clicked.

Damn, I don't remember what those things were called, but everybody would sit there with the switches half way pressed down so they talked in wobbly super slow or fast voices. Just don't let the teacher catch you, :lol: cause they would jump on our arses about how we could mess them up, don't think anyone ever did though.

I seem to remember a lot of old cassette tapes would do the same thing if you just held play most of the way down, play at a crazy fast speed, though I have had those machines eat tapes before, as some seem to not engage both motors when they do that.

Tricks that give you extra money are the best tricks ever invented!

:lol: I remember pretty much any change machine back in the 80's would takecopied money, heck a lot of modern ones still will, and the few that wont just need a little hairspray sprayed on them :P

Edited by Video

Here's a few of the ones I remember from back in the day:

-There was some trick on either Altered Beast or Revenge of Shinobi on the Genesis that you had to swap the carts while the system was still on, but I never did it because I heard that it would destroy the carts and the Genesis.

-On Zelda II on the NES, I got pissed at the game bashed and reset the NES a bunch of times in a fit of anger, and to my amazement, my save file had garbled letters next to it, as if the game messed up. I loaded my save, and Link was equipped with everything in the game and everything was maxed out! :-o It was saved on there for a while, until one day when the game froze and somehow erased it. This also happened to one of my friends, but his little brother erased the file. Neither one of us could ever replicate this again.

-About a year into owning my Saturn (1996-97-ish), the drive started making grinding noises and I got really angry at it. I picked it up a few feet off the ground and just let it go, and it hit the floor HARD! Ever since, it's worked fine, except a few months later, it stopped recognizing the InterAct memory cartridge that had a bunch of game saves loaded onto it. :x

-I also had my old fat PS2 apart probably 20-30 times to clean the lens and the dust out of it so it would work, and the power ribbon ripped. I still have that thing in pieces in a box somewhere. :(

There's also use of a game shark to load Japanese Saturn games, and anyone with a Saturn knows that use of a Game Shark on it should warrant capital punishment.

ummm...what? I do that, and i didnt know it was "capital punishment" stuff...

crap...

(im still gonna do it though)

• 1 month later...
Yes. It was easier (possible?) than Stage 1. It is absolutely true. I still have the letter. I'm doing some summer cleaning, if I come around to it I'll scan it and post it (I was happy they responded even though it was only 2 sentences).

It was very difficult to repeat. I remember sitting for a long time ON-OFF-ON-OFF waiting for it to come back.

Of course I don't remember the details of the stage, but it was there. Is it possible to emulate it?

Ah-ha! Nothing like to revive a dead thread.

Here it is (yeah little paranoid/ashamed with releasing the name). Look beyond that. Notice the typewritten letter (with white-out on yellow paper on the "t" and "v"). Didn't use AtariWriter, eh? Notice the company's title is off-set. I was so happy they responded, then sad I didn't get detailed descriptions on how to beat the levels. :(

Refresher: This is regarding hidden Stage 0 in Miner 2049er obtained by flashing the cart. Oh yeah, I had the all blue cartridge.

post-23143-1248107794.jpg

post-23143-1248107442_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Frying 2600's, Yeah, I suppose you can hurt it, but howmany ever killed one?

I literally fried one a couple months ago... destroyed the voltage regulator AND the mainboard ROM. I fried a Pheonix cart I had plugged into it at the same time. Ha. But you probably meant a different kind of frying.

In any case, years ago when I played a lot of basic games on the apple 2 and other systems, I'd ctrl+c out of them and look at the source code to cheat.

Edited by Lendorien

Yes. It was easier (possible?) than Stage 1. It is absolutely true. I still have the letter. I'm doing some summer cleaning, if I come around to it I'll scan it and post it (I was happy they responded even though it was only 2 sentences).

It was very difficult to repeat. I remember sitting for a long time ON-OFF-ON-OFF waiting for it to come back.

Of course I don't remember the details of the stage, but it was there. Is it possible to emulate it?

Ah-ha! Nothing like to revive a dead thread.

Here it is (yeah little paranoid/ashamed with releasing the name). Look beyond that. Notice the typewritten letter (with white-out on yellow paper on the "t" and "v"). Didn't use AtariWriter, eh? Notice the company's title is off-set. I was so happy they responded, then sad I didn't get detailed descriptions on how to beat the levels. :(

Refresher: This is regarding hidden Stage 0 in Miner 2049er obtained by flashing the cart. Oh yeah, I had the all blue cartridge.

post-23143-1248107794.jpg

post-23143-1248107442_thumb.jpg

Just input the big fives phone number on the high score screen and it does same thing level select !!!!!!

I used to put a drywall scren into the atari 800 and pull the right side of the pitfall II cart out then push it back in and push forward and got lucky and it made the guy walk threw walls and fall down so i could get past hardpart easyer.....!!..

**********************************************************Start a zone. Jump onto the first platform and position Bounty

Bob so that no creatures will touch him (do NOT pause game).

Hold the UPPER red fire button down while entering Big Five's

phone number (2137826861) on the keypad. You will know you did

it right because it will immediately restart the zone again when

you enter the last digit of the phone number.

Miner 2049er

Programmed by Bill Hogue. Graphics and Audio Visual Displays

designed by Curtis Mikolyski and Bill Hogue with Jeff Konyu and

Kelly Bakst. Circuitry designed by Bill Hogue. Package Artwork

by Scott Ross.

Start a zone. Jump onto the first platform and position Bounty

Bob so that no creatures will touch him (do NOT pause game).

Hold the UPPER red fire button down while entering Big Five's

phone number (2137826861) on the keypad. You will know you did

it right because it will immediately restart the zone again when

you enter the last digit of the phone number.

Congratulations, you now have a way to "warp" to any zone or

station in the game!

HOW TO USE IT

Push the reset button on the joystick and select 1-0 on the

keypad for the zone you want to play.

(1=zone 1, 2=zone 2, ... 0=zone 10).

Now, hold the upper red button down while pressing 1-0 on the

keypad. This will allow you to select which station to play.

You will immediately warp to the selected station! The warping

ability will work at *ANY* time during the game! This is

extremely useful for getting "unlimited" lives. (HINT: If you

die on a level and IMMEDIATELY warp Bounty Bob, the game will

keep track of your score, but won't take away a life!)

NOTES: Miner is great fun at the difficult levels. Some levels

are NOT clearable. After lots of playing, the following levels

have been found to be possible to clear.

ZONE STATION

---- -------

1-8 ALL

9 1-9

10 1-4, 8, 9

Zone 8/station 10 is the hardest, but IS possible.

Zone 10/station 4 requires a lot of thinking/strategy to clear.

Try it, it's fun!

For some reason on Zone 10, Bounty Bob walks very fast and jumps

a LOOONG way. This makes certain levels difficult and others

impossible. However, on Zone 10/station 10, the creatures just

move too fast to make it possible to clear. It's a shame, we

will always be left wondering what would happen if it had been

cleared.

http://www.atarihq.com/5200/5200faq/02_05.html

I found this w google and knew about it before but not before google and atariage it was not known by me but i heard something about phone numbers.

Edited by chompaw

Frying 2600's, Yeah, I suppose you can hurt it, but howmany ever killed one?

I literally fried one a couple months ago... destroyed the voltage regulator AND the mainboard ROM. I fried a Pheonix cart I had plugged into it at the same time. Ha. But you probably meant a different kind of frying.

In any case, years ago when I played a lot of basic games on the apple 2 and other systems, I'd ctrl+c out of them and look at the source code to cheat.

he ment same but guess what now you can use atari 2600 stella x from source forge win32 and there is a key you can bind for frying w out damage since its all emulated!.

This is a little off topic, but I remember a Defender arcade that would shock the crap out of you when you touched the coin release button. It did dangerous tricks to me!

that game was modified and the plug must have been plugged in upside down and w out a ground and was inporperly installed .

YOU should have informed the owner of store You could have been killed . You were lucky. next time anything like that happens check the outlet cord to make shure its plugged in correctly. You know what i mean where there is subposed to be a ground pin on 3 prong plug that goes down.

if outlet in wall installed right sideup! and the one on the left goes into the big one and the smaller one is HOT on the right goes to circut breaker and the ground does not tie to gnd anymore the grounds tie in box somewhere I cant remember exactly how they do it but i think there is now 2 sepreate grounds one for the whites and a seperate 10 foot ground rod for grounds I think this is a little insane and is a waste of time since most electronic devices that have a ground just tie all the grounds inside devices together anyway What would be the differnce I guess they want the ground tied in the electrical circut breaker box at the box not the outlet so the circut breaker can work this seems stupid why tie it at box this makes the whole wiring in house have to heat up instead of blowing up at outlet like it should has something to do with code Ill figure it out later I do how ever know all my games have 3 prong outlets and proper grounds I even grounded the screen on my 13 inch 8liner screen it says no isolation transformer needed . I use a computer power supply to run pacman pcb so I dont think it will be a problem! The chassis seems to have no connection to 110v comming in so i think its safe Besides the original wiriing for WIZARDS OF WOR has the chassis of the screen clamped to a ground wire but the 110v going into the screen has a isolation transformer.

I had the same thing happen to me at the HOPKINS HOUSE from a KISS pinball machine when you touched the other pinball machine you would get shocked this was caused by some idot hooking a cheater plug into the plug on the kiss pinball machine and plugging it in upside down on purpose they said kiss wanted it that way I said crock I kept stealing the cheater plug and throwing it away finnaly i said YOU touch the other game now what if some kid got killed you would be sued Then they stopped doing it cause I must have scared them anyway mabie they just ran out of cheater plugs I wish they still had that game it was cool. it was missing a bumper cover!

This is a little off topic, but I remember a Defender arcade that would shock the crap out of you when you touched the coin release button. It did dangerous tricks to me!

that game was modified and the plug must have been plugged in upside down and w out a ground and was inporperly installed .

YOU should have informed the owner of store You could have been killed . You were lucky. next time anything like that happens check the outlet cord to make shure its plugged in correctly. You know what i mean where there is subposed to be a ground pin on 3 prong plug that goes down.

if outlet in wall installed right sideup! and the one on the left goes into the big one and the smaller one is HOT on the right goes to circut breaker and the ground does not tie to gnd anymore the grounds tie in box somewhere I cant remember exactly how they do it but i think there is now 2 sepreate grounds one for the whites and a seperate 10 foot ground rod for grounds I think this is a little insane and is a waste of time since most electronic devices that have a ground just tie all the grounds inside devices together anyway What would be the differnce I guess they want the ground tied in the electrical circut breaker box at the box not the outlet so the circut breaker can work this seems stupid why tie it at box this makes the whole wiring in house have to heat up instead of blowing up at outlet like it should has something to do with code Ill figure it out later I do how ever know all my games have 3 prong outlets and proper grounds I even grounded the screen on my 13 inch 8liner screen it says no isolation transformer needed . I use a computer power supply to run pacman pcb so I dont think it will be a problem! The chassis seems to have no connection to 110v comming in so i think its safe Besides the original wiriing for WIZARDS OF WOR has the chassis of the screen clamped to a ground wire but the 110v going into the screen has a isolation transformer.

I had the same thing happen to me at the HOPKINS HOUSE from a KISS pinball machine when you touched the other pinball machine you would get shocked this was caused by some idot hooking a cheater plug into the plug on the kiss pinball machine and plugging it in upside down on purpose they said kiss wanted it that way I said crock I kept stealing the cheater plug and throwing it away finnaly i said YOU touch the other game now what if some kid got killed you would be sued Then they stopped doing it cause I must have scared them anyway mabie they just ran out of cheater plugs I wish they still had that game it was cool. it was missing a bumper cover!

That makes sense. I was only about 10 or so though, and didn't think about telling anyone. It was at a TG&Y dime store.

Thats a good thing you were only 10 cause it seems young children are less susectable to getting a heart attack from a electrical shock!..

PS I Also remember finding out that on EIGHT BALL Deluxe you could crank the plunger into the right flipper leaf switch and because the

leaf switch had Two flippers on it and two flipper switches in one it would reach the plunger and if you shorted the plunger to the flipper during game it would produce credits some how!!!

Edited by chompaw

Cool, I didn't know they came in blue, mines the typical coleco white cart, any others come in blue?

Awesome that you got a letter and all, most companies won't give the average joe the time of day, much less write anything back to them. :D

actually, companies did give you the time of day back then. I used to write to companies like coleco, kenner and milton bradley all the time and they would right me back. It was great. nowadays, youd be lucky to get a generic email!

Edited by CARTRIDGE STEALER

I would go to radio shack and buy a box of electronic parts or take apart an old radio. Now, with a box of capacitors and resistors and diodes at hand I would randomly connect them up to my 2600 (also taken apart) and try to create some new circuit or something. Or make some sort of funcky special efx on the screen, or perhaps simply crash the system. Great fun!

Legend of zelda OOT cartidge tilting anybody hehe.. :) I loved getting out of the first village you start in before going throught the deku tree that way. It was hard to pull off thought. It was easy to get link to dissapear and freak out,but getting the cartidge in right without freezeing the game was hard.

Edited by Arbitern1

• 4 months later...

I don't know if this counts, but at the local Chuck E Cheese's I found out that when playing skee-ball, if you roll the ball really hard it will fly up into the net above and be slung right into the center hole. I racked up a ton of tickets one day doing this. The next time I went, they had put wires across the top of the net to prevent people from doing this. In the years since, I've not found any skee-ball machine that doesn't have wires or something over the net. Apparently, a lot of other people discovered the same thing I did.

I don't know if this counts, but at the local Chuck E Cheese's I found out that when playing skee-ball, if you roll the ball really hard it will fly up into the net above and be slung right into the center hole. I racked up a ton of tickets one day doing this. The next time I went, they had put wires across the top of the net to prevent people from doing this. In the years since, I've not found any skee-ball machine that doesn't have wires or something over the net. Apparently, a lot of other people discovered the same thing I did.

LMAO There was one by me when I went last like 10 years ago that the sensor was broken and you could just place the ball in the hole. A manager came out and told my friend's dad to keep us from doing this and being the wise ass he is he said "well if you didn't charge $10 for a small slice of pizza I wouldn't have to do this.

I usually play risky in my action and shmup arcade games. Can't say I've done anything else "in-game" that you're "not supposed" to do, because everything is fair game to me.. Hmm..

Regarding the pinball posts above though, I personally would really like to stand next to a pro pinball and watch him play. I love pinball, but I can't grasp entirely how to use nudging to my advantage. I try it, but I can't seem to control it even remotely, which is necessary for success.

Much like the SNES posts earlier, to play early Megadrive carts on my US Genesis, I slightly sanded down the outside edges of my 32X's cart port. 32X carts are slightly larger than US Genesis carts to begin with, so it doesn't take much trimming to get a Megadrive cart to fit in it. So long as it's not region-locked, it will work fine, and it saves you from having to make a monstrous tower out of your combo by avoiding the use of a Game Genie or another converter.

Edited by Austin

Come to think of it, I also did the quick Action Replay -> ROM Cart swap with my US Saturn in order to get Ultraman to play. Probably not worth it in the end, but it's about the only thing you can do to play a ROM-required game if you don't have a modded system.

To do it, you load up the game via your Action Replay cart. After you start the game, right after it passes out of the AR screen, while the screen is black, you pull it out of the slot and slam the required ROM cartridge in its place. On top of other typical Saturn cart port issues, like it sometimes not recognizing the cart in its slot, the timing has to be near-perfect and it takes requires many tries to get it right. If you do it wrong, either the game doesn't load, or you get an error message stating you need the ROM cart, but the game won't recognize it without a reboot, making you have to do the swap again.

Edited by Austin