IGNORED

"Dangerous" tricks on a system/game that were actually pretty cool

• 4 years later...

Every one has said some cool thing i said a lot i didnt mean to SEND lol i am not so indulgent now and also apoligize for rambling.

Kiss pinball was fun but i didnt get to play it enough to fgure out how to win

u only got zapped if you touched both pinball machine metal bar holding glass on BOTH Kiss and the other machine on the left of it.

I was tired when I wrote this but was really tired when i rote above years ago.

Edited by awace

Amusingly, I read once an interview of Pierre Tel, creator in the late 70's of the arcade machines Jeutel, which were mainly built and sold in France, copying at first game of the era (as he admit in the interview, "because there was really no copyright at the time, and suppliers of the era would deliver only a batch of 10 machines when we wanted 200 or 500, so we copied them and got the number we wanted" ). He would later licence them properly.

He explained that one of the numerous tests made on arcade was to test any tricks people could do on the machine. He created the "electric spark lighter alarm" when he heard from various arcade centers and cafés, etc... that people were using electric sparks lighters to shortcut the money slot, which would give free credits. Rather than proofing the slot, he added an alarm that was triggered by high current.

He also explained that he once received a new engineer that designed a new machine, and he "put it down" in seconds. as he said to the guy "if people can get free credits from the game by plugging and unplugging it 50 times, they'll do it."

I can link the interview but it's all in French.

http://www.grospixels.com/site/jeutel_01.php

aracde-jeutel.jpeg

Edited by CatPix

There's also use of a game shark to load Japanese Saturn games, and anyone with a Saturn knows that use of a Game Shark on it should warrant capital punishment.

I actually just got my first Saturn and was going to get a Game Shark to play imports instead of an Action Replay ($$$ dif). Why is using the game shark bad?

• 1 year later...

Eh, I won't bother with pinball anymore, people just want to shake em or whatever, whatever, and no, I wasn't singling anybody out, that was only the 4th post or so where someone said you were supposed to play like that cause the original machines had no flippers, is all. I wasn't aware the original fliperless ones had tilt sensors in themeither, cool to know, who woulda thought? (guess people were breaking those too icon_razz.gif )

Anyhow.....

I think I burned something out reading the above post icon_razz.gif but it did jog my memory, I remember back in school, they had these learning "computers" (if you could call them that) that had some electronic scoring device, and played records....yeah, records. Well, it was only supposed to play one speed, they were dedicated machines after all, but it had huge mechanical switches to turn the turtable on, and as you pushed it in, the record would run at random speeds untill you got to the point it clicked.

Damn, I don't remember what those things were called, but everybody would sit there with the switches half way pressed down so they talked in wobbly super slow or fast voices. Just don't let the teacher catch you, icon_lol.gif cause they would jump on our arses about how we could mess them up, don't think anyone ever did though.

I seem to remember a lot of old cassette tapes would do the same thing if you just held play most of the way down, play at a crazy fast speed, though I have had those machines eat tapes before, as some seem to not engage both motors when they do that.

icon_lol.gif I remember pretty much any change machine back in the 80's would takecopied money, heck a lot of modern ones still will, and the few that wont just need a little hairspray sprayed on them icon_razz.gif

I clicked a sonic care add on youre homepage LOL just for u.... PS the singer reading machines were cool but we also had some film/cassette machines too witch were like answering machines and film projectors w opaque glass fronts so u would start a tape and it would advance the film strip acording to the tape I useto like the noise it made from the solinoid SOMETIMES on my car i reopen the trunk lock when its already open just to hear that noise!!!!!!!!!!!!! yant ya the other day i found my easter egg video I made of dig DUG dug

Long before Game Genie or Action Replay came out for Genesis or Mega Drive, there was a dangerous trick of cart swapping to get interesting result. This only worked on pre-TMSS models.

For example, you turn on with Altered Beast cart. Then without turning it off, you took the cart out and plugged in Space Harrier II & press reset button. You get infinite lives in Space Harrier II. This happens because the internal RAM chip are initialized only once at power on so when it loads value for Altered beast, then you switch to Space Harrier and reset it, the RAM content isn't reset so you get interesting result.

TMSS models forces RAM to be wiped every time it's reset, which breaks this old cart swap hack. Plus swapping cart while power is on can fry the cart or the mainboard permanently.

Fried 2600? Check.

Pal SMS games in NTSC system? Check.

sega everdrive loading beta protos? Check.

PS1 door latch/swap trick with1x burned CDs? Check.

PS2 FreeMcBoot Mem card exploit/open ps2loader? Check.

PSP-1000 running 5.50 Gen-b CFW? Check.

PS3 Slim running 4.46 Rogero Cobra CFW? Check.

I was able to trick some arcade games' coin mechanisms by dropping in a slug, or foreign currency.

In 1980 I had a small stash of various foreign coins from my parents' junk drawer and tried all of the roughly quarter-sized coins in a few machines. There were a couple that worked (Bahamian cent?), and some others the machine swallowed without credit instead of rejecting. I always wondered what the people emptying the coinbox thought of the weird stuff that got in there.